Camera jerky/frozen on startup?

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Has anybody else found the reverse/side cameras to be jerky for a while after starting the car? I've seen the below behavior:

1. Video is delayed by 1 second or so. When backing up, this results in thinking that objects are further away than they really are.

2. Video becomes very jerky, but gives the appearance of being live. This sort of looks like what criminals do in movies when they put a security camera on repeat, showing the same few seconds over and over in order to sneak by. In the case of the Civic, I'll put on the right blinker and I'll see cars coming, but then I'll see the same 2 second clip over and over for about 10+ seconds. If not paying close attention, it could give the appearance of being a live video and lead to me cutting into traffic in a situation when there are in fact cars coming.

These seem like really dangerous bugs in the camera system. Rather than just breaking completely, they are broken in a way that could lead me to believe it is safe for me to back up, change lanes, etc.
Sponsored

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I haven't experienced the camera jerky/frozen on startup.

OP
OP

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't experienced the camera jerky/frozen on startup.
Given that these are software issues, and there is very minimal variation between cars (unlike phones/computers where we install all types of things), how is that some people have these issues constantly (such as myself) and others don't have it at all? Do they install different versions of the software on new cars but not provide it as an update to the first cars sold? As a former software engineer, I don't understand how there can be so much inconsistency on a platform such as this one.

Also, my car is a Touring purchased around 1/4/2016 if that makes any difference.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Mine is an EX
Purchased 1-18-16
Manufactured Honda Of Canada Mfg 10/'15

EtherealAegis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgundy Night Pearl Touring
My touring also exhibits this behavior immediately after the car is started, but only then. If the car has been running it has no issues. I suspect they skimped on hardware, and code optimization.

OP
OP

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My touring also exhibits this behavior immediately after the car is started, but only then. If the car has been running it has no issues. I suspect they skimped on hardware, and code optimization.
Seems like having this issue occur immediately after the car starts is very dangerous. This is a common time to require the cameras. For example, when you are backing out of a parking spot or pulling out of parallel parking.

I would have gladly paid an additional $500 for a high-end Android tablet instead of this POS cheap device that they used.

ARHondaChick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same issue here with my Touring. When I bought the car it didn't initially do that. It only started recently.
Sponsored