Camera Angle with aftermarket head unit

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Question for y'all. I'm very well aware that with very few exceptions you'll lose your multiple camera angles when installing an aftermarket head unit. That being said is there a way to pick the ONE angle you'll have on your aftermarket head unit? I had one installed yesterday and the backup camera is working just fine but it's the super wide angle and I'd like to have the more standard view if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

ElusiveJones

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
Edit: My guess was wrong. Disregard.

It would make sense that the camera is static and only sends one signal and then the different "angles" you can choose from on stock are done by the HU(basically just cropping and adjusting the picture coming in). If this is in fact the case, the only signal you're getting from the camera is the wide-angle and any adjustments to change that would be on your after market HU(which isn't impossible, but unlikely).

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
It would make sense that the camera is static and only sends one signal and then the different "angles" you can choose from on stock are done by the HU(basically just cropping and adjusting the picture coming in). If this is in fact the case, the only signal you're getting from the camera is the wide-angle and any adjustments to change that would be on your after market HU(which isn't impossible, but unlikely).
It is my understanding :-

There are actually two Digital Lines (Bit 1 & Bit 2) that the HU sends to the Camera, that alter the camera's video, being sent back to the HU.
The Video angles are NOT generated withing the HU from the same video stream, they are selected by the HU using these 2 control lines, telling the Camera what "angle" video to send back to the HU.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Scope is correct - here is the wiring diagram for the connector.

You should be able to put a voltmeter on those pins to see how much voltage is applied (my guess would be 12V, but it could be less) and on which pin(s) to set which camera angle. Then hard-wire that same voltage to them to permanently set the angle to the one you want.

Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Angle with aftermarket head unit camera

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Scope is correct - here is the wiring diagram for the connector.

You should be able to put a voltmeter on those pins to see how much voltage is applied (my guess would be 12V, but it could be less) and on which pin(s) to set which camera angle. Then hard-wire that same voltage to them to permanently set the angle to the one you want.

camera.png
The OP's issue is that he does not have the original Honda Unit installed, to be able to see what the Bit_0 & Bit_1 voltages are.

Would be interested to know what the 4 combinations of Bit-0 & Bit-1 being high and low give.
There are 4 combination, but I think the Honda Unit only gives the Option for 3. Wonder is there is really a 4th angle mode that is not used in the standard setup ?

Josby - Do you have similar pictures for the other connectors on the Infotainment Unit, or can you tell me where you got that one from ?

OP
OP
nags

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Thanks for all the info so far. I picked up the car this afternoon. Currently still on the ultra wide angle view. Better than nothing though .

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
The OP's issue is that he does not have the original Honda Unit installed, to be able to see what the Bit_0 & Bit_1 voltages are.
Ah, I didn't realize that. It's probably 12 volts, but since a new camera is over $100, I suppose it's not worth risking it just trying putting +12V on the pins to see what happens. Maybe find a 12V source then buy a combination pack of resistors to make simple voltage divider circuits to drop that down so you can start with something low, like 3 volts, then go up to see what works.
Josby - Do you have similar pictures for the other connectors on the Infotainment Unit, or can you tell me where you got that one from ?
I got them from the Honda online service manual site. I paid the $10 for one day's access and downloaded everything I thought I might need, so yeah, I have some for the infotainment unit. What do you need?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the info so far. I picked up the car this afternoon. Currently still on the ultra wide angle view. Better than nothing though .
I'll be working on an extra Honda Display over Christmas and New Year. If you can wait till then, I should have the EXACT , Correct info you need to make the Camera select whichever angle you want, because I will have it working on the bench by then.

OP
OP
nags

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I'll be working on an extra Honda Display over Christmas and New Year. If you can wait till then, I should have the EXACT , Correct info you need to make the Camera select whichever angle you want, because I will have it working on the bench by then.
F yes. That'd be great.

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I upgraded my radio to aftermarket as well. (have a 2018 hatch sport with default 5"? screen), and got stuck on wide angle. Upgrade to a new camera through local geek squad, some cheap license plate one the tech recommended. Drove it and we'll let's just say you get what you pay for. Normal view but blurry af and I cant see my bumper anymore so no clue if I'm about to hit anything.
Anyway, I was hoping to see if you had an update? Earlier in this thread you mentioned working on it over new years and would love to hear how it went.
Thanks for any info, this camera situation is a tad bothersome. Fell in love with a feature to have it taken away.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I upgraded my radio to aftermarket as well. (have a 2018 hatch sport with default 5"? screen), and got stuck on wide angle. Upgrade to a new camera through local geek squad, some cheap license plate one the tech recommended. Drove it and we'll let's just say you get what you pay for. Normal view but blurry af and I cant see my bumper anymore so no clue if I'm about to hit anything.
Anyway, I was hoping to see if you had an update? Earlier in this thread you mentioned working on it over new years and would love to hear how it went.
Thanks for any info, this camera situation is a tad bothersome. Fell in love with a feature to have it taken away.
The camera itself has two digital controls inputs, that come from the HU, and are used by the HU to select the angle mode.
You will NOT get different angles without the Honda Camera.

If you put the original camera back, you and gets it's video displaying, you can then control the angle by the two control lines, either permanently, by say grounding them , or with a switch that grounds them and thereby selects the angle.

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The camera itself has two digital controls inputs, that come from the HU, and are used by the HU to select the angle mode.
You will NOT get different angles without the Honda Camera.

If you put the original camera back, you and gets it's video displaying, you can then control the angle by the two control lines, either permanently, by say grounding them , or with a switch that grounds them and thereby selects the angle.
And this can work even with an aftermarket HU? I still have the original camera installed. I think he just changed the feeds. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, which is why I took it to geek squad in the first place. When I called to ask about it, he said I could bring it by next week for him to put it back how it was.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
GEEK SQUAD !!! :doh:

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
GEEK SQUAD !!! :doh:
Yep.. That's how I'm feeling. Wish I knew more about cars. Do you know if I can just upgrade the radio of the sport hatch to the one the higher trims come with factory?
My end goal is android auto, with a nice working back up cam. Factory radio on sport hatch had nice cam, but no android auto. Aftermarket has android auto, but now I'm having to go down a rabbit hole to use the cam.
I should've just bought the sport touring but I knew I couldn't afford it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep.. That's how I'm feeling. Wish I knew more about cars. Do you know if I can just upgrade the radio of the sport hatch to the one the higher trims come with factory?
My end goal is android auto, with a nice working back up cam. Factory radio on sport hatch had nice cam, but no android auto. Aftermarket has android auto, but now I'm having to go down a rabbit hole to use the cam.
I should've just bought the sport touring but I knew I couldn't afford it.

Factory radio on sport hatch had nice cam, but no android auto ???

Are you sure that your car does not have Android Auto ???
I thought the 2019 sports did ??
Sponsored