Came up with "1" idea about muffler delete....

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I want a bit more exhaust note, well may be a bit more than a bit so I won't bother with just resonator delete. Seems to me muffler delete is the way to go. But some Si'ers here say it could be a bit too loud, I guess all depends on your taste and your neighborhood's taste. Has anyone thought of/actually done deleting just one muffler? That sound could be just perfect for what I want.

Some background information of myself: I am cheap and I have no OCD.
Sponsored

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Well, if you just blocked one side off, you'd double the back pressure and make it quieter.
So you'd need to route one side straight though.
I'm thinking the exhaust gasses would take the path of least resistance and not quiet it much more than having both mufflers deleted.
You could open the mufflers and gut out the baffles. But that's a lot of work. You'd have to cut a square opening, remove the baffles with a saws all, and then patch the muffler with sheet metal and steel pop rivets.
Honda Civic 10th gen Came up with "1" idea about muffler delete.... stock exhaust

Last edited:
OP
OP

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Well, if you just blocked one side off, you'd double the back pressure and make it quieter.
So you'd need to route one side straight though.
Thank you for the input. Yes I have thought of this too and I am exactly thinking to just make that side straight out, just route it like most common two sides delete. Since the gas coming up to this point is just from one pipe anyway, I believe it won't make any significant pressure difference that have negative impact.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Says the guy putting Type R badges on his Si LMAO.

I have advice for you- work harder and maybe one day you can afford the real thing. Stop judging people, you ain't special.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you used a exhaust valve and a tube to connect you could adjust the sound the way you wanted and whenever you want it.It's easy enough to make this on a SI exhaust .

In example 1 you'll always have some extra sound in low rpms and a muffler delete in high rpms.When the valve is closed you'll have a muffler delete all the time.

In example 2 you'll have the stock exhaust when valve is closed and when the valve is open you'll have some extra sound in low rpms and a muffler delete in high rpms.

Honda Civic 10th gen Came up with "1" idea about muffler delete.... stock exhaust 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Came up with "1" idea about muffler delete.... stock exhaust

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Says the guy putting Type R badges on his Si LMAO.

I have advice for you- work harder and maybe one day you can afford the real thing. Stop judging people, you ain't special.
I’m gonna take the Si badge off and put a type R one in its place then touch myself to how mad it makes you big boy.

OP
OP

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
If you used a exhaust valve and a tube to connect you could adjust the sound the way you wanted and whenever you want it.It's easy enough to make this on a SI exhaust .
A great idea! Mechanically simple and manually adjustable. And I guess as long as the diameter fits and they should be pretty much universal parts, no need to custom make anything.

I had a Honda CBR954 before and IIRC, it was the first similar bike then to have a exhaust valve like your idea. The main reason was not to control sound though but to regulate back pressure, and it was controlled by the cpu. I believe you mean to use this kind of valve but forget about the electronic connection part. Just adjust the flap position by hand right?

After a big crash, hurt my left knee, it was my last bike :( One more reason to like this Si, very easy on my not 100% left knee.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A great idea! Mechanically simple and manually adjustable. And I guess as long as the diameter fits and they should be pretty much universal parts, no need to custom make anything.

I had a Honda CBR954 before and IIRC, it was the first similar bike then to have a exhaust valve like your idea. The main reason was not to control sound though but to regulate back pressure, and it was controlled by the cpu. I believe you mean to use this kind of valve but forget about the electronic connection part. Just adjust the flap position by hand right?

After a big crash, hurt my left knee, it was my last bike :( One more reason to like this Si, very easy on my not 100% left knee.
Yeah honda also used this technology inside intake manifolds (i think the h22 intake manifolds had this ? ).These exhaust valves can be bought with cable control or even electric controlled with a electric motor and remote controlled button.But you can also set it and forget about it if you wish to do that.I would want to control it anyways ,so you can make your car quiet or loud whenever you want from inside your car.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Stupid idea in my opinion. Instead just replace the mufflers with an aftermarket straight through muffler. It should give you more sound but not quite as loud as just a muffler delete. Lot of decent cheap mufflers can be found on ebay, and it eliminates any flow problems while saving you a good deal of weight from the stock mufflers.

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Stupid idea in my opinion. Instead just replace the mufflers with an aftermarket straight through muffler. It should give you more sound but not quite as loud as just a muffler delete. Lot of decent cheap mufflers can be found on ebay, and it eliminates any flow problems while saving you a good deal of weight from the stock mufflers.
I’m pretty sure I bought a resonator AND a magnaglow muffler off Amazon for around $150. Had that on my old Forester and it sounded great.
Sponsored