Came out to my car today and saw this....

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
So I came out today to go and get some groceries and I saw a yellowish puddle of oil (I think) coming from my car. I recently had an oil change done at my Local Honda dealer so I suspect they messed up...big time. Would apppriciate it if anyone could give some insight or confirm my suspicions on what it is. Heres a picture:

Honda Civic 10th gen Came out to my car today and saw this.... 4496BBC9-FD3F-4FD9-B8ED-778811DC4696

Honda Civic 10th gen Came out to my car today and saw this.... C2494E7D-A162-453D-8376-564921B6E55C

Edit: Also went ahead and put some of the liquid on my finger to smell it and it smells pretty strongly of motor oil or some kind of liquid that originated from the car. The front underside of the car is also wet and coveeed in the same liquid.

Last edited:

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
I'm not aware of this colored fluid in our cars. Did it rain recently? Kinda looks like chocolate milk (oil/water mixture). Check all fluid levels, preferably on level ground before starting the engine.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Looks like you ran over a Caramel Latte to me.
Im honestly confused and I wish this was it. However, I did check underneath the car and the fluid looks like it originated from underneath. I parked my car in the driveway last night and no fluid was coming from the car at all, also the positioning of the liquid is something where it could only happen if I either ran over something or there was a leak, and I know for a fact I didn't run over anything.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I'm not aware of this colored fluid in our cars. Did it rain recently? Kinda looks like chocolate milk (oil/water mixture). Check all fluid levels, preferably on level ground before starting the engine.
It did rain recently, its been raining all of yesterday and little this morning as well.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
My guess is that the service tech neglected to tighten the oil pan drain plug all the way, or possibly the filter. If all the oil leaked out, then driving it back to the dealership doesn't sound ideal. If you can get them to give you a replacement 5 qt bottle of oil and refund the cost of the failed service, then if you can jack/lift the car up enough to get under it, you just need to remove a panel (just gotta unscrew a few things) underneath the engine to access the oil drain plug and filter. You just need a 17mm socket wrench to tighten the drain plug (also check to see if a crush washer was used in-between the plug and oil pan, if not then there there needs to be one). The filter can simply be tightened by hand (if it's loose). Then just fill the oil back up slowly and check using the dipstick at intervals of every qt or so until it is full.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Edit: Also went ahead and put some of the liquid on my finger to smell it and it smells pretty strongly of motor oil or some kind of liquid that originated from the car. The front underside of the car is also wet and coveeed in the same liquid.
Well, this is horrible! I would have it towed to the dealer at their expense ASAP!

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s intermix.
This happens when oil and coolant mix inside the engine, usually from being overheated. It’s a very bad thing.
Your car is still under warranty, right?
Tow it to your dealer and let them deal with it.

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No.
That’s intermix.
Don’t run the engine.
If it’s not f#cked already, running it more surely will.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
No.
That’s intermix.
Don’t run the engine.
If it’s not f#cked already, running it more surely will.
Damn. If only I saw this before. I hope it isn't intermix as you said and its just oil mixed with the water from the rain but we'll see. Since this car is obviously in no condition to go anywhere, I needed to back it out of the driveway to make space for my other car to back out of the garage so I can go places. I backed it out briefly and parked it along the curb and while I did there were no lights on the dash and the MM said oil life was still 100%, but the car did sound a bit strange and I noticed after that there were little tracks of fluid on the road in the brief 5 seconds that I took to repark the car.

First thing tomorrow i'm having them tow it to the dealer at their expense and demanding a refund for service. I just need to reflash this car back to the stock ECU before I bring it in. Hopefully this didn't mess up my car even more, but I'm not too worried since I only bought this car in March 2018 and something like this should never have happened in the first place.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Have you checked the look of your oil, clear or milky (oil mixed with coolant) and checked the oil level?

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
then if you can jack/lift the car up enough to get under it, you just need to remove a panel (just gotta unscrew a few things) underneath the engine to access the oil drain plug and filter.
"Few = a small number, a handful, one or two, a couple, two or three;"

Unfortunately, it might well be just a few. There is a high likelihood that all the original screws, and the two bolts have not been replaced as well ....

After all, it takes way too much effort, and an attention span of more than 1 minute, to put back all the screws --- :sleep:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Have you checked your oil and its level?
Good idea .. check the oil level AND the oil on the dipstick.

Is it clear (new oil) or Milky (oil + water).

Put something on the ground under the engine, to catch anything that may still be dripping out. Something that can catch any drips, but not absorb them, ie Not Cardboard or paper..

If the "new" oil is in any way not clear, and looks at all milky, don't even start the engine !! (just start documenting everything that has happened, with plenty of photographic support .. if the Dealer has messed up this bad, it will potentially get nasty !!)

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Checked oil and its still full (for now) but the car is unfortunately still leaking even when its just sitting there. Forgive me for not having a lot of knowledge on this stuff but from what I can tell it looks a bit watered down. Let me know what you guys think. I put some of the oil from the dipstick onto a paper towel to look at the color, here's a pic:

Honda Civic 10th gen Came out to my car today and saw this.... AFD9FA09-A028-4B60-8F5F-46EE30AB12E4
Sponsored