First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
No.
I understand that you absolutely want to buy this car no matter what people say.
So go ahead it's your money.
I do admit I could be a better writer when posting in regards to my thoughts. I tend to learn by challenging certain viewpoints to get a better understanding. If posters like you think I shouldn't get a Civic, i'm listening.

Toyota and Hyundai certainly deserve some attention. I looked into the Mazda 3's but I just can't get myself to like them.
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you show which car mags are actually stating to not buy the 1.5T? I haven't seen any articles bashing the Civic for oil dilution, most of the negative press is focused on the styling.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Can you show which car mags are actually stating to not buy the 1.5T? I haven't seen any articles bashing the Civic for oil dilution, most of the negative press is focused on the styling.
Styling is highly subjective. I love the looks of the Civic hatch. I think the new 2019+ Camaros are a huge step backwards. Disgusting, almost.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Just like @TheHorse13 mentioned the 2.0 I-Vtec motor is no slouch either. I have one and drive it daily. It has the 6 speed manual transmission and it is a blast to drive and doesn’t have an oil dilution problem. But I wouldn’t count the turbos out because of oil dilution. I also own a civic hatchback with the 1.5t and at each oil change it has a little higher level on the dipstick then when I changed it last. But this is supposedly normal for these direct injected engines. Honda knows this and designed the engine to run like this. Yes I’m pretty sure the NA 2.0 will last longer but I think as long as you don’t live somewhere where it’s really cold all the time then you would be fine with either engine. I say test drive them all and see what you like

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Styling is highly subjective. I love the looks of the Civic hatch. I think the new 2019+ Camaros are a huge step backwards. Disgusting, almost.
I like the styling of the Civic, just saying some people are reviled by it for some reason.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
@TheHorse13 Was the 2.0L from the factory? I wasn't aware they made NA motors for the Civics. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the faster the turbo spins (higher engine RPM) the more power you get yes? If that's the case, this is precisely why i'd want the paddle shifters. Albeit they only imitate gearing, I would have the ability to "downshift" before making a pass on the freeway. This would be enough to make me happy.
[
Yep, multi port 2.0L I-Vtek right from the factory. It's a ton of fun to drive in the manual transmission config but because the primary use is for commuting in traffic, the CVT was a must. When I want to row gears, I have a 392 Hemi mated up to a Tremec 6 speed.

I always tell people that requirements drive solutions. I need 10 years and 200k miles out of my commuter shitbox. I have to sit in traffic, I live where it gets really cold and really hot, and because turbos never work out for me, the N/A 2.0L motor was the best fit for me. The oil dilution issue and the nature of direct injection motors both were show stoppers as already mentioned.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting this much caution from the Honda Civic community. I always thought Honda's were the most reliable damn thing you could get lol. That being said, I greatly appreciate the brutal honesty.

Vrait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm just jumping in to say I have had no oil dilution problems in my SI in Florida since I got it two years ago. I have no worries about reliability.

My car has been fantastic other than a few rattles I've fixed. Though I do avoid automatics of any type when I can.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
I feel bad writing this post after becoming so emotionally invested in getting a Honda Civic..but not too bad ;)

I listened to you all, did a little more research / tire kicking, and long story short i'm now the proud owner of a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N (with performance package). It was an absolute no brainer..The Veloster comes with a 5 year 60k mile bumper to bumper. 100k powertrain. I also get 36 months / 3 years of general maintenance for free. What was my out the door? 31,900. Only 2k more than what I was offered for a Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatch.. and the Veloster is a hell of a lot more car for the money.

The Veloster also has a 275HP engine compared to the 200 in the Civic. It's also lighter. The MPG is good enough for me.

I was getting annoyed by my local Honda dealership for several reasons unfortunately. But here we are. I hope the Veloster treats me well!

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Veloster N is one hell of a car. Not bad for initial price. Sadly those things lose value super fast. Its a step up on a Si and a big step above the ST hatch. I pondered trading my ST for a N myself but with the big aftermarket support and Honda reliability I choose to stick with the Civic. N sounds pretty amazing even when stock. Enjoy your new car!

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Veloster N is one hell of a car. Not bad for initial price. Sadly those things lose value super fast. Its a step up on a Si and a big step above the ST hatch. I pondered trading my ST for a N myself but with the big aftermarket support and Honda reliability I choose to stick with the Civic. N sounds pretty amazing even when stock. Enjoy your new car!
Thank you! Just hope I made the right decision. The Veloster N is certainly a niche car.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Congratulations on your new car. Enjoy it! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Status