Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Lightning 13,

Check about Civic turbo oil dilution issue if you can live with before buying,
Few scar mags I read said to not buy turbo
All DI engines have some small amount of oil dilution. Drive the car to normal operating temps, change oil on schedule and there will be no problems.
Sponsored

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Lightning 13,

From what I've seen, most of those issues were with 2017 and 2018 plates, which have software updates to fix it. I know when I asked about my '19 they said that there hadn't been any reports of problems since all of the '19s and '20s will be patched from the factory.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've seen, most of those issues were with 2017 and 2018 plates, which have software updates to fix it. I know when I asked about my '19 they said that there hadn't been any reports of problems since all of the '19s and '20s will be patched from the factory.
All the "patch" really did was speed up engine warmup. There were people in cold climates driving 1-2 mile trips frequently and Honda did the dilution update for that scenario. My '17 is doing just fine with me driving it to normal operating temps before shut off.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Lightning13

Sooooo....Are you getting a Civic? A GT500? Tesla P100D? :beer: What have u decided?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
All DI engines have some small amount of oil dilution. Drive the car to normal operating temps, change oil on schedule and there will be no problems.
You are correct. I’ve done lots of research and I’m confident on Honda’s design. They designed the motor to run with oil dilution. And since I live in Texas it doesn’t get really cold here. I notice when I change the oil it’s about 1/4 of a quart higher than when I filled it up. Yes that kinda freaked me out at first until I read that it’s normal for these cars. Now I’m sure it won’t last as long as my 2.0 NA, but I’m confident in its design and should get plenty of life out of it.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
@CVTsport18 @SDAlexander8 I'm certainly aware of their built purposes lol. The Camaro's been fun but i'm ready to move on to something efficient. It's too bad I have to ponder this CVT thing and that they couldn't just give us an 8 speed.

@raulnor516 250 lb tq isn't so bad, especially in a 3000 pound car! As long as it's better than a turtle on race day.

@xjoshuax89 Thank you for your input. Could you explain what you mean by rubber banding and lag? Does the tranny struggle here? I'm thoroughly impressed you got 300whp without any terrible issues! Decent pep is all i'm asking for really. 13.34s quarter mile would make me very happy.

@TheHorse13 Yeah I still don't know why I haven't done it, but I have no desire to do it now when i'm about to sell.

@latole @gtman @raulnor516 @mvela I watched the Scotty Kilmor video regarding the oil dilution issue. He recommended changing the oil (high quality synthetic) every 5k miles, which sounds normal to me anyway. Don't think it'll be much of an issue unless people are getting mechanical failures after only 3 - 4 years / 40k miles? Speaking of updates, does Civic have OTA updates or does that require a dealership visit?

@Myx hahaha love the enthusiasm in your post. GT500 and P100D are a pipe dream. Best I was looking at was a Model 3 RWD, but they're still expensive and the chances are too good I might get a lemon.

idk! I texted my sales guy who offered 26k and I haven't heard back. Wondering if he's getting cold feet about the price? LOL.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Random questions but Is it possible to turn off "Lanewatch"? Does Lanewatch activate when you flick the turn signal to do 3 clicks?

@Myx I just now heard back from the sales guy.. I'm going in on Saturday. Any other tips or advice you all can give me i'm all ears :D

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Random questions but Is it possible to turn off "Lanewatch"? Does Lanewatch activate when you flick the turn signal to do 3 clicks?

@Myx I just now heard back from the sales guy.. I'm going in on Saturday. Any other tips or advice you all can give me i'm all ears :D
Pretty sure you can turn it off from automatically activating when you put the right turn signal on. There is also a button on the stalk you can press to manually turn the camera on/off whenever you like

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I sometimes press the Lanewatch button on the highway to occasionally glance at the action behind me on the infotainment screen. :popcorn:

raulnor516

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
@CVTsport18 @SDAlexander8 I'm certainly aware of their built purposes lol. The Camaro's been fun but i'm ready to move on to something efficient. It's too bad I have to ponder this CVT thing and that they couldn't just give us an 8 speed.

@raulnor516 250 lb tq isn't so bad, especially in a 3000 pound car! As long as it's better than a turtle on race day.

@xjoshuax89 Thank you for your input. Could you explain what you mean by rubber banding and lag? Does the tranny struggle here? I'm thoroughly impressed you got 300whp without any terrible issues! Decent pep is all i'm asking for really. 13.34s quarter mile would make me very happy.

@TheHorse13 Yeah I still don't know why I haven't done it, but I have no desire to do it now when i'm about to sell.

@latole @gtman @raulnor516 @mvela I watched the Scotty Kilmor video regarding the oil dilution issue. He recommended changing the oil (high quality synthetic) every 5k miles, which sounds normal to me anyway. Don't think it'll be much of an issue unless people are getting mechanical failures after only 3 - 4 years / 40k miles? Speaking of updates, does Civic have OTA updates or does that require a dealership visit?

@Myx hahaha love the enthusiasm in your post. GT500 and P100D are a pipe dream. Best I was looking at was a Model 3 RWD, but they're still expensive and the chances are too good I might get a lemon.

idk! I texted my sales guy who offered 26k and I haven't heard back. Wondering if he's getting cold feet about the price? LOL.
CVT lag basically means that when you push down the accelerator, especially WOT, you don't get immediate engine torque. It'll take the better part of a second to move the cones and get the rev range to where it thinks it should be. Using the paddle shifters in S mode allows you WAY more control and gets rid of the CVT lag from what I've noticed. In normal driving, if you are moving at a decent speed, pull off the accelerator to brake, then get back on the gas, the car can kinda feel like it's rubber banding back and forth.

The civic does not have OTA (at least in my sport model) and requires dealer flashing. To prevent most of the issues with oil dilution, CVT slipping, just make sure that you drive the car gently until it heats up (doesn't take that long with such a small engine) before turning it off, driving aggressively, etc.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Lightning 13,

Since Lightning13 lives in Arizona (arid-zona) I don't think that a condition caused by cold weather and short drives will apply to him. (I used to live in Phoenix, there aren't many "short" drives).

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
@Lightning13 I get it man, just want to make sure you end up with a Civic that you can not just live with but can thoroughly enjoy. :thumbsup:

I know if I had come here straight from my Corvette I would have been a bit disappointed from a performance standpoint. However I had a buffer by owning a pickup that I absolutely hated so jumping into an agile car like the Civic felt like heaven. Hope you get the car you want, keep us informed either way brother.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
@Drake Great! Thanks.

@raulnor516 Ah gotcha. I figured that was common with all turbo cars. Is the rubber banding as bad as hitting the gas and immediately letting off in a MT? I get knocked around like a rag doll if i'm not careful in the 1LE. Or are we talking about a delayed rubber banding feel? As if the car doesn't know what to do so it drops everything and gives you an uncomfortable bump? I'll have to try it for myself on Saturday.

No OTA I guess that's alright. Not a fan of going to the dealer when it should be as simple as downloading the software onto a USB and updating it that way.

@repeet @raulnor516 Actually my job, for the last year, has been about 1 - 2 miles away from where I live. Is that a problem? It doesn't snow here, but it can get to below freezing on some nights in the winter. Also I only fill up on top-tier premium fuel if that makes any difference.

@CVTsport18 I'll hopefully have some exciting news to share over the weekend :) You've all been a huge help, I can't thank this board enough.

Honestly I haven't tracked the 1LE once. The performance bits and visuals, for 3500, are what got me to pull the trigger. Just a couple of spirited runs a month is the worst I do. I like to think it helps by burning off the carbon deposits in the motor, and keeping the drive line healthy :D slip n slide is fun, sure, but I really value traction and control. What good is power if it can't be put down ya know.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awe No u don't. Put some slicks on that baby and call it a day. I want that impossible FWD 12 second street tire throne. Stop it! :rofl:

Damn it man! I need an E85 gas station near me ASAP. :mad:
Lemme borrow your wheels for free then I'll consider going on slicks instead :nixon:

Reactions: Myx

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Yes you can turn off lanewatch. I used to have it on but with Tunerview being on and also using GPS, I have the automatic turn when taking a right turn signal thing off. As for the quick 3 clicks I don't 100% remember.

Theres 2 things for CVT lag.

First thing is if you mash the throttle and go straight WOT. Theres a minor way to avoid that lag via @Myx 's 2step acceleration method. It's a big tricky from a dig but from a roll its pretty nice and I've seen the difference from using it. It does take some practice to get it right though. (Also I am not sure how safe doing such a method is, especially at my power levels so I tend to not really use it that much).

Second is when you at on throttle lets say more than 75%, then make a hard brake to slow down and then mash the throttle again to accelerate, the CVT has a really rough time trying to re-figure things out and the lag is pretty bad.

So for me when I track my car, there's a certain course that has a long straightaway where I can hit 110 on but at the end theres a pretty sharp left hand corner then a dip down and an immediate sharp right hand corner. If I go into the corner braking hard dropping from 110 to about 45 then try to get back on throttle for the next turn I notice the lag. So I need to have a bit more gradual of a slowdown so that theres less lag when I'm back on throttle.

For most regular purposes, I doubt you will encounter it but if you track it, the CVT does tend to have its downsides.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx
Status
Not open for further replies.