Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is with the Hyundai hate here????

My family has owned Hyundai's for over 10 years. They have never had a major issue. No engine issues, transmission issues, nothing. Honda still makes good cars, but seriously, they aren't perfect. Hyundai have largely caught up (maybe not in resale value, but they are getting there).

On the subject of Genesis... I'd own the hell out of a G70 or G80.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What is with the Hyundai hate here????

My family has owned Hyundai's for over 10 years. They have never had a major issue. No engine issues, transmission issues, nothing. Honda still makes good cars, but seriously, they aren't perfect. Hyundai have largely caught up (maybe not in resale value, but they are getting there).

On the subject of Genesis... I'd own the hell out of a G70 or G80.
20 years ago I bought my first Hyundai after years of owning Hondas. I was reluctant but the warranty sold me. I loved the car so much I started a Hyundai based website. These cars are actually quite good. But virtually every time I'm positive about something Hyundai related the haters come out here with "my dad had one, they suck" or they are like owning a Yugo". At this point it's almost comical.

And to be honest here, after 15 years driving Hyundai and Kia, there were things about the new Civic that surprised/disappointed me and not in a good way. Not that I don't love my Civic; overall it's great.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And to be honest here, after 15 years driving Hyundai and Kia, there were things about the new Civic that surprised/disappointed me and not in a good way. Not that I don't love my Civic; overall it's great.
Hyundai kills Honda with it's infotainment and driver assist tech. Also, my sister's Elantra had less rattles than my Civic (it still does, but she traded it in for a 2019 so I'd hope so). Not withstanding my Type R, I preferred my 1.5T powertrain to the Elantras. That's where I think Honda does best - engine and powertrain. Tech? Them and Toyota aren't the greatest there.

OP
OP
Lightning13

Lightning13

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Hyundai kills Honda with it's infotainment and driver assist tech. Also, my sister's Elantra had less rattles than my Civic (it still does, but she traded it in for a 2019 so I'd hope so). Not withstanding my Type R, I preferred my 1.5T powertrain to the Elantras. That's where I think Honda does best - engine and powertrain. Tech? Them and Toyota aren't the greatest there.
Thank you!! It's like i'm speaking sacrilege by saying I wanted to give Hyundai a shot..? F*** me right?

Beautiful CTR by the way.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda knows powertrains, no doubt.

What surprised me coming back to Honda after many years with Hyundai was quality control and packaging. The fit and finish, like the big panel gaps and thin paint surprised me on my '17 Civic EX-L. The abundance of rattles and thin windshield was a bit shocking. My Elantra GT came stock with Michelins. My EX-L... crap Firestones. The fact that things like variable intermittent wipers and heated mirrors were standard base Hyundai features but some Civic models don't have them. Stuff like that.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised the Civic came with floor mats. Believe it or not, they were an optional accessory on my Elantra and Kia Forte SX. :yes:

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you!! It's like i'm speaking sacrilege by saying I wanted to give Hyundai a shot..? F*** me right?

Beautiful CTR by the way.
You too man, Veloster Ns are sweet! Have a pic of yours? Not sure what has people on their high horse here.

Honda knows powertrains, no doubt.

What surprised me coming back to Honda after many years with Hyundai was quality control and packaging. The fit and finish, like the big panel gaps and thin paint surprised me on my '17 Civic EX-L. The abundance of rattles and thin windshield was a bit shocking. My Elantra GT came stock with Michelins. My EX-L... crap Firestones. The fact that things like variable intermittent wipers and heated mirrors were standard base Hyundai features but some Civic models don't have them. Stuff like that.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised the Civic came with floor mats. Believe it or not, they were an optional accessory on my Elantra and Kia Forte SX. :yes:
The build quality is disappointing. My Dad's Acura ILX has tighter panel gaps than my Civic does. His was in an accident and it still looks tighter than mine. Also, his cabin is free of rattles still, and it's on the last generation platform. The paint is at the point where I just simply do not care about chips on it anymore. It's impossible to prevent chips no matter what you do. But, the performance of this car is unreal. So it's not like I hate or regret buying my Type R in any way, it's just that the little things do add up.

Hyundai and Kia are great at giving your value for your buck. In the recent years they have really made strides in interior design especially, and also in the performance department. Competition is a great thing. It forces the other automakers to make better products.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.