California: What to do after you purchased your Type R out-of-state?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BBP Civic Type R
Country flag
When they inspect the car at the DMV do they care about your tint percentage and lack of front license plate, etc.? What exactly do they do when they inspect it?
Sponsored

dasb44

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB Civic Type R
Country flag

Read my Yelp reviews for more info below on where to go. Where exactly in the Bay Area are you located?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-registrar-san-jose-4
https://www.yelp.com/biz/all-american-trucking-and-transport-inc-burlingame
https://www.yelp.com/biz/sunnyvale-discount-smog-star-certified-check-station-sunnyvale

I've had my car for almost 3 weeks now and the stupid-ass DMV folks wanted to see a copy of my sales contract before they could release the registration to my Credit Union rep. My rep has already presented to them the Smog test certificate, MSO, VIN Verification, but they're being stupid and asking for more information than what's really required.

He's trying again tomorrow to provide them with this info so that he can finally get my sticker/plates the same day at that DMV location. In the meantime, they game me one of those temporary papers with the number in large font that you stick on the window. It's good for 30 days of driving without the registration/sticker while it's still being processed.
Thanks for your post. I got my car yesterday and went to Shar to do the registration and Sunnyvale discount smog to smog the car today. Everything is smooth. Shar is able to do all the DMV work for me so that I don't have to go to DMV to experience the infamous DMV wait time during this pandemic time.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Thanks for your post. I got my car yesterday and went to Shar to do the registration and Sunnyvale discount smog to smog the car today. Everything is smooth. Shar is able to do all the DMV work for me so that I don't have to go to DMV to experience the infamous DMV wait time during this pandemic time.
Congrats!! I hope you enjoy your car and I’m glad everything went smooth for you!! ?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BBP Civic Type R
Country flag
I just got off the phone with someone at the CA DMV and they said I don't need to smog the car. Seems to go against everything I've read here. Was the rep just uninformed?

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
After reading all of the posts, California seems like a different country because they have unnecessary strict emission standards. Seems like every car will fail smog and exhaust there

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
First of all, you need to pass smog here in CA before you can register it. Then my assumption after that is you'll have do it again after 6 years just like a brand new car.
I bought my used 2019 Si in May 2020 and never had to get it smogged. I just renewed my registration 2 weeks ago and didn't need to get it smogged. All I had to do was pay a smog abatement fee and thats it.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just got off the phone with someone at the CA DMV and they said I don't need to smog the car. Seems to go against everything I've read here. Was the rep just uninformed?
People just don't know what theyre talking about. You just pay a smog abatement fee and thats it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BBP Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought my used 2019 Si in May 2020 and never had to get it smogged. I just renewed my registration 2 weeks ago and didn't need to get it smogged. All I had to do was pay a smog abatement fee and thats it.
Purchased out of state, right? Would make my life easier if that's all I had to do, that's for sure.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Purchased out of state, right? Would make my life easier if that's all I had to do, that's for sure.
No, i bought mine here in California maybe thats why I didn't have to do it. In that case if it's purchased out of state then yea you might need it get it smogged.

typebeat.mp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R - SGP
Country flag
I think you pretty much got it down.

The cat needs to get hot for it to go smog ready, just do a full drive cycle as recommended if you want it done within same day. Make sure to cruise in gear, not in neutral. Don’t use cruise control.

Look it up on owners manual if you need a guide.

For me I got it delivered, took it to gas station(I asked for it to be shipped empty tank), filled it half way and did a drive cycle before heading home and it was Smog ready.

Smogged it the next early morning, went to DMV and they will give you 343 form to fill out as well as the VIN Verification form.

You do your VIN verification, pay your tax and dues, they will keep the Smog Certificate and Certificate of Origin. They will generate the Title and mail it to your house or do an electronic title if it has a lienholder.

Go get your plates+sticker and go home :)

Also AAA or third party places can’t do it because you have a car with 0 VIN record. You have to use DMV directly. I asked AAA and few other places and got the same answer. Different story for used out of state cars since there is a generated physical title
What exactly did you do for the drive cycle?
Sponsored