California: What to do after you purchased your Type R out-of-state?

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
Hey, just wanted to resurrect this thread with a question that came to mind.

Does anyone know if our CTRs that were purchased from out of state and shipped into CA are exempt from needing to be smogged for six years like how new cars purchased in state are exempt? Debating whether I want to move forward with adding an aftermarket exhaust as I'd hate to have to pay to put the stock one back on in order to pass smog if the requirement is every two years.
Sponsored

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R-39517, 2014 Mazda 6
Country flag

Does anyone know if our CTRs that were purchased from out of state and shipped into CA are exempt from needing to be smogged for six years like how new cars purchased in state are exempt? Debating whether I want to move forward with adding an aftermarket exhaust as I'd hate to have to pay to put the stock one back on in order to pass smog if the requirement is every two years.

First of all, you need to pass smog here in CA before you can register it. Then my assumption after that is you'll have do it again after 6 years just like a brand new car.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

If the car is registered in California it will need to abide by California's laws. I'm not sure if an exhaust on its own will cause you to fail smog. But you could fail the sound requirements if yours is too loud. A downpipe is a different story though.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
If the car is registered in California it will need to abide by California's laws. I'm not sure if an exhaust on its own will cause you to fail smog. But you could fail the sound requirements if yours is too loud. A downpipe is a different story though.
CA is CA especially when it comes to emissions. I believe we are the most stringent of all states. Do all the required tests to secure your registration and keep it stock and after you pass then you can mod all you like.

Luckily my HKS is less than 90dbs so I easily pass any sound requirements if it needs to be tested for any reason. I havenā€™t messed with the intake or piping on mine except installing an aftermarket K&N high flow filter. Thatā€™s all I need for my ride and Iā€™m satisfied with the results. No more spending on this ride- I like how itā€™s currently set up.

I always encourage people to create a wants vs needs list and form a budget. The first 3 things I recommend is to protect the paint, upgrade the wheels and tires and tint the windows. Every other upgrade after that will fall in place.

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
First of all, you need to pass smog here in CA before you can register it. Then my assumption after that is you'll have do it again after 6 years just like a brand new car.
Yes I've already done the smog to register it in CA. I'm just curious if someone knew for sure that we had six years until the next smog since we acquired the car from out of state and not from an in state dealer.

gaiakai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e46 M3
Country flag
Yes I've already done the smog to register it in CA. I'm just curious if someone knew for sure that we had six years until the next smog since we acquired the car from out of state and not from an in state dealer.
Yes, we get the 6 years of freedom after that initial smog for registration. This will be my second car purchased from out of state.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Answer: Stay in the state you bought it in and enjoy not living in CA?

What'd I win? :x

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I just ask my friend who is a smog inspector and he said that new rules for new cars now don't have to get the car smog for 8 years and cars that are purchased out of state has to get smog and exempt for 4 years and after that they have to get the car smogged every 2 years. California smog regulations are always changing but that is what he told me.

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
it's so nice to register your car without a california title. I love it when cops can't do anything about it, at least where my original home of record don't require a smog. Thankfully, i'm just stationed in this shitty state, but it blows my mind how people in CA are "okay" with these laws. I feel like there aren't enough people to petition to end RSO/STREET, "modified exhaust" laws.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
That's because your from the island. Man I miss being there.ā˜¹. Californians been trying to petition for a long while but we all know: "Money talks." All those politicians are on the take.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
it's so nice to register your car without a california title. I love it when cops can't do anything about it, at least where my original home of record don't require a smog. Thankfully, i'm just stationed in this shitty state, but it blows my mind how people in CA are "okay" with these laws. I feel like there aren't enough people to petition to end RSO/STREET, "modified exhaust" laws.
Most states have some sort of law regarding aftermarket exhausts. I'm pretty sure my CA complaint exhaust is actually illegal in Illinois due to the way the statue is written stating that modifications can't be done to make the exhaust louder than factory/stock (vs Cali's 90 dB rule).

Edit: I doubt a cop would pull me over for my exhaust though since it still wouldn't stand out with a lot of OEM exhausts being louder than my aftermarket setup is.

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
That's because your from the island. Man I miss being there.ā˜¹. Californians been trying to petition for a long while but we all know: "Money talks." All those politicians are on the take.

yeah i hope it changes. Im only saying it's shitty because of how the state needs to hold your hand on whatever you do on your own free time. I've seen enough here in Riverside county, to the point that I dont want attend car meets because that's where they get you for an exhaust or ask you to open your hood.

Fester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R, 2019 G63, 2013 C4S, 2013 BRZ
Country flag
Hey All,

For those in California venturing out of the state to purchase a Type R, below are some helpful tips for after you have made the purchase. (@Seandingo, @MrTuckers, @TilleR or anyone else...please feel free to add additional tips or corrections).

Shipping:
The safest is enclosed shipping but it is more expensive. The location in which the vehicle is being shipped from may determine if you want to ship it enclosed or not. If the dealership/shipping company is willing, you can purchase a car cover and have it put on if you choose open shipping.

Paperwork:

-Purchase receipt: This should include the amount of taxes you paid on the vehicle. Some states will allow you to pay California tax versus their in-state tax on the purchase.

-Car Title or Certificate of Origin: If the dealership registers the vehicle in-state upon purchase, then you will receive a title or it will be sent to the lienholder (this varies by state so be sure to check). Make sure the amount of taxes paid on the title matches the amount on the purchase receipt.

If the vehicle is not registered, then there will be a Certificate of Origin. Some dealerships will refuse to give it to you directly; itā€™s a brown sheet of paper (@fk8wah). They might mail it directly to your DMV of choosing. Make sure to put ā€œdelivery dateā€ on form as the day you go to DMV. If you donā€™t do this they will charge you late fee (@fk8wah).

-DMV Registration Form 343: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg343.pdf

-VIN Verification: This can be done at the DMV when you are ready to register or some smog places also do VIN verification (this may save you an extra step at the DMV. This may only work if the vehicle has an out-of-state title). Here is the VIN verification form: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg31.pdf

Smog:
You will have to smog the Type R prior to registration (it is 50 states/California emission certified). It will likely not pass initially upon delivery. The OBD check will come back as insufficient data/low miles. You will have to drive it around for at least 40-50 miles.

There is a way you can check to see if your car will pass the smog test. When you press the start engine button twice, you will see the engine icon to the left. If after 5-10 seconds it blinks 5 times then disappears, it will not pass the smog test yet. If after 5-10 seconds it disappears without no blinks, then it will pass the smog test.

Most smog places will recommend driving about 100 miles prior to smog. However, it was a smog shop that showed me the engine icon trick.

DMV:
Once you have all your paper work (purchase receipt, car title, Form 343, VIN verification if you had this done at a smog shop) and have passed your smog test, you can now go and register your Type R.
this is awesome, just came across this! I bought CTR from AZ dealer and drove 600 miles back, 2nd week of Jan. Called dmv and got the smog done, have cert of origin doc from dealer, Iā€™m not sure if I need to do VIN verification or the smog guy did it, it was STAR certified shop, but will fill out the form I guess. now I need to fill the forms and camp out at DMV this week ... I donā€™t want to pay any late fees tho..itā€™s got AZ temp plates on it till mid April..
Sponsored