California Honda EX-L Negotiations

raygold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
I am going to purchase a 2017 EX-L sedan. I am waiting until next week (12/26) to begin negotiating with dealers as it will be the last week of the month AND year. Hopefully I can work my best deal next week. I live in Santa Barbara CA. Yesterday I went to a dealership that I had been having some preliminary email discussions as the salesman was cool that I was not going to buy this week. I wanted to test drive and especially check out the Honda Sensing feature. I liked it and would prefer to to get my Civic with that feature. I specifically want a White Orchid Pearl sedan. They did not have one with Sensing in stock but he offered to show me the invoice for the EX-l sedan and their "Internet" price and their Costco price. The Costco price was strictly the same as invoice. He offered the "Internet" price and it was $1544 ($21,621) less than the invoice including shipping and a California advertising add-in that seems to be on all Southern CA invoices. Here is the breakdown:
Invoice
Honda Civic EX-L 22,109.04
Destination $835
HDAG (CA advertising) $221.09
Total $23,165.13

MSRP $23,800
Shipping $835
Total MSRP $24,665

This was the price without any negotiating. The fly in the ointment is that they added additional dealer crap of $1194 which I told the salesman that I absolutely did not want. The add-on crap: $795 is for the protection package which includes a trunk mat, splash guards and wheel locks. $399 charge for the clear shield on the door edges and behind the door handles. He said he would do his best to negotiate with the "sales manager" but he admitted that was where their profit was. I, of course, know there is also 2% MSRP holdback plus possible manufacturer to dealer incentives. I am going to email all of the dealers within 125 miles next Monday morning my requirements. I am paying cash so there is no financing or lease to be negotiated. If any of y'all have any possible additional thoughts or suggestions then I would love to hear them.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

raygold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV