First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, I am quite sure that the biggest issue at play is that people think that we are back in the alchemist times or some such nonsense and that we actually have to build everything to see if it fails or not. We have more than sufficient knowledge and computational resources to calculate out these processes. Solar, for instance, There was, of all things, an "experiment" paid for in the city near where I live to see how much power could be made. Really? ALL the math for that is available and required literally 20 minutes (Or less) in a spreadsheet to see if it will pay off or not.

Needless to say, so many things can be calculated out this way. I just wish that more people had proper critical thinking skills and the ability to apply them to process analysis.
It sounds like the practical application of it didn’t meet the expectations of what they’d done on paper. What I’d read about the versions to turn CO2 back to usable fuel sounded good in theory. In the end... you’ll always keep putting more into something that you get out of it.The technology as a whole is kind of interesting... but using a CO2 collector on a CO2 emitting plant and powering it by a CO2 emitting plant to help acquire more CO2 emitting fuel is kind of funny. I assume they were using CO2 as an inert gas to pressurize pool of underground oil to help extract it from the ground. The one that was discussed earlier to make gasoline out of CO2 in the air has always felt like an odd way to try and circumvent the second law of thermodynamics.

I guess it works if the collector it’s powered off of non-CO2 producing energy and hold onto ICE and create a man-made closed CO2 cycle... since gasoline is still much more energy dense by weight and volume than batteries now and for the foreseeable future. If the electrical infrastructure is predominately CO2 emitting... you’d still be losing ground.

In the end, I’m sure the numbers can be crunched to put electrical power from the grid into chemical energy in a battery then convert back to mechanical energy in an electric motors VS electrical energy from the grid into chemical energy in gasoline and converting it back into mechanical energy. Given the relative high efficiency in charging and high efficiency in energy conversion by the electric motor (should be well over 80% if not in the 90s) vs an unknown quality of efficiency in the energy used to convert CO2 back into gasoline and lower engine efficiencies for ICE... I just don’t see it working out for beat it. It’s kind of neat tech and I did read up on it and see some interesting claims. It just doesn’t seem to be panning out as well as hoped.

The navy still builds and depletes its new design reactors through the math has been shown to work. They’ve built full-on designs as proof of concepts too. They’ve been doing it since (power generating) nuclear power’s infancy in the 50s and the math hasn’t changed. There’s enough spent fuel from already used fuel that's being stored for disposition that’s almost totally U-238 that could power the world exclusively for longer than we’ve had electricity. There’s fear in trying something new with fast fission designs. The math works... but folks having wanted to take the plunge with things like PRISM. NuScale just got funded... and it’s cool and all, but it’s still a thermal fission reactor design. I did my college capstone largely around PRISM. It’s be neat if I got to see it in my lifetime. It’ll take NuScale being a success to probably ever see it. Like with fossil fuels... it’s cheaper to use on-hand or pretty easy to acquire new fuel in an already built plant that was expensive to construct than build something new that works on paper but hasn’t been proven through actual use. UK almost built PRISM years ago but got cold feet.

I’m obviously pro-nuke. It’s been part of my life for a long... long time. But it’s an industry that’s stagnated at best and in decline in many parts of the world. Accidents are largely a function of terribly obsolete designs that could be replaced but would cost $$$. The power industry is about making money and you don’t scrap something that works. Once the enormous costs of plant construction are earned back... nuclear power is pretty stupid cheap. I see solar as a good way to help with peak usage... since solar should be at its peak w/the sun overhead... when A/C usage is peaking. There’s all sorts of designs of tank batteries the size of warehouses... charging fluid and circulating it around an anode and cathode to draw off of it so you “store” power when solar is down. Eh. It’s neat, but I do think you’ve got to have a 100% of the time power source and use solar to load-level as you slowly bring more online in the coming decades.

Anyways... I’d said my piece awhile ago on the original topic. Just wanted to share the news bit about the carbon collectors which was a tangent the thread took.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Honestly, I am quite sure that the biggest issue at play is that people think that we are back in the alchemist times or some such nonsense and that we actually have to build everything to see if it fails or not. We have more than sufficient knowledge and computational resources to calculate out these processes. Solar, for instance, There was, of all things, an "experiment" paid for in the city near where I live to see how much power could be made. Really? ALL the math for that is available and required literally 20 minutes (Or less) in a spreadsheet to see if it will pay off or not.

Needless to say, so many things can be calculated out this way. I just wish that more people had proper critical thinking skills and the ability to apply them to process analysis.
People who are not in this business don't realize what is the driving force here. It's not about nerdy and enthusiastic scientists and engineers trying to help the humanity. It's a business.

Don't worry, ten times more than necessary of very sophisticated calculations and simulations and tons of research have been made and money has been taken for it. I've participated in work just like this. The results were as requested and paid for - build a plant to demonstrate the capabilities and get more funding. (If you don't produce the expected results, or if you are a naysayer, your funding is cut and given to someone smarter). Companies are created, investor's money flows for years and decades, nothing of value is created but paychecks and profits. This has been working for decades time after time, again and again. Carbon capture/sequestration works perfectly well as a way of making money. Now on to the next thing, and then back to this old thing and so on.

Last edited:

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
i am so glad that i am only stationed here. Californians are the reason why I hated Californians in Hawaii, can't own guns unless you want the state to know where you live so they can take it away, your food is meh, you butcher Hawaiian food and culture, LA is a bunk ass town and people are proud of it, I hate law enforcements (RSO, CHP), the beaches suck compared to home and despite the car culture is dope....there's laws that discourages it and threaten to seize your vehicle unless you revert back to factory settings (also why I hate cops) The worst part? Californians are okay living like this lol

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i am so glad that i am only stationed here. Californians are the reason why I hated Californians in Hawaii, can't own guns unless you want the state to know where you live so they can take it away, your food is meh, you butcher Hawaiian food and culture, LA is a bunk ass town and people are proud of it, I hate law enforcements (RSO, CHP), the beaches suck compared to home and despite the car culture is dope....there's laws that discourages it and threaten to seize your vehicle unless you revert back to factory settings (also why I hate cops) The worst part? Californians are okay living like this lol
That's the one thing I don't get and also dislike, it's crazy how the cops out there will pull you over just for being modified then plague you with state ref tickets. I now understand why a lot of Californians choose to go the slammed/static car route because I imagine maybe they don't get pulled over as much as compared to a full blown loud race car. Those car mod laws would be more than enough for me to want to move out of there

chi town brat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90 CRX Si. 91 STD Hatch. 17 CTR. 18 CTR.
Country flag
Job applicants are turning down offers because they refuse to move there. I don't blame them.
Sponsored