Cali Cop tells Elantra N owner it will cost him $7k to remove factory track mode

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Damn what can I say your on top of it. Only recall I had in my 05 civic was airbag.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It had nothing to do with the transmission. Honda forgot to install (or installed improperly) piston pin snap rings and that was causing engine failures. Very serious stuff.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh what plant was that Indiana? I blame car companies setting up plants mainly in the south and other regions for cheaper labor where the state education system has been gutted and students are failing. I would never buy a car made in Alabama for sure.

I'll admit fault. I wasn't saying Honda was perfect but obviously I haven't been paying attention. I've only experienced one recall for my two civic models so I was totally unaware.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
The education system shouldn’t have any affect on the production quality. It’s governed by Honda’s training and quality policies.

by that logic all civic hatchbacks are worthless ……..

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The education system shouldn’t have any affect on the production quality. It’s governed by Honda’s training and quality policies.

by that logic all civic hatchbacks are worthless ……..
I work manufacturing while it's in medical industry and not cars but I can easily tell good workers from terrible ones. I'm pretty sure you experienced good workers and people that are just worthless in whatever field work you are in. You can't fix stupid no matter how much you try to train them properly. I'd have to say the selection of good workers to bad in poorly educated states is very slim.

The hatchbacks do have the highest failure rate in the tuned thread I believe.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It was STOCK! ...
Never said it wasn't STOCK. The car complies with the current CA inspection and state DB law - WHEN LEFT IN THE DEFAULT MODE WHEN STARTED. The driver chose to change into another mode, perhaps "hoon mode" and that was his decision. Hyundia even notes that:
"When ECO mode is activated:
• The acceleration response may be slightly reduced as the accelerator pedal is depressed moderately.
• The air conditioner performance may be limited.
• The engine noise may get louder.
The above situations are normal conditions when ECO mode is activated, to improve fuel efficiency."

Any number of vehicles - Hellcat, Ford GT, etc - exceed the California 95 DB limit and I believe they are all CARB certified for sale in CA. They're also capable of doing burnouts which is also illegal in most states.

End of rant.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bottom line is, California sucks a$$. I never want to go to that shithole state.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I think they have a different part number for the rods in the hatch

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Never said it wasn't STOCK. The car complies with the current CA inspection and state DB law - WHEN LEFT IN THE DEFAULT MODE WHEN STARTED. The driver chose to change into another mode, perhaps "hoon mode" and that was his decision. Hyundia even notes that:
"When ECO mode is activated:
• The acceleration response may be slightly reduced as the accelerator pedal is depressed moderately.
• The air conditioner performance may be limited.
• The engine noise may get louder.
The above situations are normal conditions when ECO mode is activated, to improve fuel efficiency."

Any number of vehicles - Hellcat, Ford GT, etc - exceed the California 95 DB limit and I believe they are all CARB certified for sale in CA. They're also capable of doing burnouts which is also illegal in most states.

End of rant.

LOL, technically going 41 in a max 40 zone is ILLEGAL. oooohhhhh. If you are ok with stupid laws getting enforced so extremely strictly, ok. Not me. I want less government control.

The cop never pulled him over for driving like an idiot, or speeding or any other actual traffic infraction. He pulled him over for a crackle and pop factory tune setting. Throwing the book at someone for something so very minor is insane. To me, it's akin to throwing the book at someone for casually cruising along doing 41 in a 40. What a shithole that place is, and for people to actually defend them for such ridiculousness is just 🤦

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think they have a different part number for the rods in the hatch
Yea you are right. I forgot about the inferior rods in hatch. Can't blame that on assembly plant.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
RE "unfair tickets": Most of us have "been there, done that" - In my view it's not the law it's the LAW enforcement. They do have discretion but can/do they use it in "my SPECIAL case"? Probably not but I wasn't there so it's kinda hard to judge, but we will.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
I think people here are looking too much on the car enthusiast side and not the common person. The guy was driving sport or track mode and he went to carb or referee and they determine it was 102db so clearly beyond 95 limit even though it wasn’t default. If I was the owner I wouldn’t use sport mode when law enforcement around. Being older I can understand if car to loud can be very disturbing to other even though to the owner may think it sound great.
Sponsored