Cali Cop tells Elantra N owner it will cost him $7k to remove factory track mode

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the car owner was caught exceeding the DB limit, because of WHAT HE INTENTIONALLY DID, - he deserves the grief he brought on himself. Can't believe he "has to sell his car" because of this. I hate to say it but it's time to seek legal advice - it may take a few $$$ to resolve this self-induced grief but unless there's more to the story he's fully legal in the USA after he pays the fines for the DB violation.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He can fight the ticket on technicalities. In court, LE is required to present proof that a calibrated decibel meter was used for the citation. On court date, the LE will either not show up or can’t present the evidence or that the decibel meter wasn’t calibrated recently. His lawyer also advised to fight the ticket instead. Not defending Calif as this could happen in many states.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If the car owner was caught exceeding the DB limit, because of WHAT HE INTENTIONALLY DID, - he deserves the grief he brought on himself. Can't believe he "has to sell his car" because of this. I hate to say it but it's time to seek legal advice - it may take a few $$$ to resolve this self-induced grief but unless there's more to the story he's fully legal in the USA after he pays the fines for the DB violation.
He was driving an un-modified Elantra N. What are you implying he "intentionally" did? "Deserves the grief"? Huh?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He was driving an un-modified Elantra N. What are you implying he "intentionally" did? "Deserves the grief"? Huh?
Blame Hyundai for making an exhaust mode that exceeds the legal limit or for not knowing said legal limit in the 5th largest car market in the world. I mean, LE‘s got to LE. He could also be a dick but if a decibel meter was used before issuing the ticket, the blame lies with Hyundai (for a car in factory form). Sad as it seems as I like the EN a lot.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the car had been in the default mode (as when started) this would not have happened. There are about 5 (to the 3rd power = 125) different operator selectable configurations (noise, engine, fake sound, etc) that can be accessed from 3 different buttons/levers and a mode switch but only after the car is started.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the car had been in the default mode (as when started) this would not have happened. There are about 5 (to the 3rd power = 125) different operator selectable configurations (noise, engine, fake sound, etc) that can be accessed from 3 different buttons/levers and a mode switch but only after the car is started.
I'm sorry but put yourself in that guy's shoes. You buy a new car. You drive said car that has various drive modes. Again this is a stock vehicle. You put the car in N mode --- and again this is a stock vehicle you're driving.

How is this in any way the driver's screw up? It's insane that a car manufacturer is selling a vehicle to consumers that doesn't comply with State laws.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
It was STOCK! Seems way to many people in Cali just love the overreaching government control. That really baffles me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the strangest thing. I checked out the ongoing thread about the incident on Reddit. While most saw it like I do - cop was rude as hell, trying to scare the guy and overreaching, there were quite a few remarks saying it was the driver's fault.

Honestly this is one of the most f'd up bureaucratic messes I've seen. First of all, the person who subsequently tested the guys car for noise level did it wrong. It should have been tested in the cars default drive mode (they tested in Sport) which would have passed.

To me here's how this should have been handled. The cop pulls the guy over and tells him he's violating CA noise laws. Writes him a citation for the noise and sends the driver on his way to pay a fine.

Instead you get a Nazi-ish handling of the situation. Clearly the driver of the car is young and the cop uses intimidation tactics. Telling the guy his car can't be legally driven, that it will cost him $7,000 to "fix", that his registration will be suspended and that he needs to have "track mode" removed by the dealer.

I get it. California has noise laws and I don't have a problem with cops giving tickets for it - that happens nationwide. But here's a driver checking out a mode in his STOCK car that was legally sold as a CA vehicle and instead of just getting a ticket (and a "don't do that again on the street" warning), essentially is treated like a criminal by the cop.

What kind of America is that?

Last edited:

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That is what you call a dick cop probably got picked on his whole life. I'd be really close to telling him to f off. Owner of car handled situation way better than I would have.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oops and people said Koreans were getting their shit together.

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oops and people said Koreans were getting their shit together.
I am not a big Hyundai fan and would likely never purchase one, but recalls are normal across all manufacturers, especially new designs. Just look at slew of issues with the new Tundra!

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea recalls happen but when drivetrain is screwed or your car won't stop (Toyota) that's semi major shit compared to oh no my ac went out. Last major one from Honda was the air bags and I don't even know how Takata is still even a company. I believe that hit several manufacturers. I believe issue was moisture, defective part or manufacturing process. I think it was mainly airbags made in Mexico. You get what you pay for.

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea recalls happen but when drivetrain is screwed or your car won't stop (Toyota) that's semi major shit compared to oh no my ac went out. Last major one from Honda was the air bags and I don't even know how Takata is still even a company. I believe that hit several manufacturers. I believe issue was moisture, defective part or manufacturing process. I think it was mainly airbags made in Mexico. You get what you pay for.
Untrue. Honda has had several drivetrain recalls that could have serious consequences if not tended to. Recent examples,

Missing or Mis Installed Circlip Causes Engine Seizure, Increase Crash or Fire Risk NHTSA Recall ID: 16V074000

Improperly-torqued Connecting Rod Bolts Cause Oil Leak, Loss of Power, Fire, Crash
NHTSA Recall ID: 15V121000

Replacement Engine has Wrong Pistons, Increasing Risk of Stall, Crash
NHTSA Recall ID: 17V305000

Timing Belt Teeth Separation Increases Stall and Crash Risk
NHTSA Recall ID: 19V298000

Improper Heat Treatment, Soft Pistons Wear Prematurely, Causing Engine Stall, Crash
NHTSA Recall ID: 13V382000

Sponsored