Cali Cop tells Elantra N owner it will cost him $7k to remove factory track mode

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
It was tested in Sport mode. I follow the Reddit thread.
The rules say that the car must be tested in the default mode. In the case of the Elantra, it cycles back to normal when you turn off and on the vehicle. The test result is invalid.
A competent lawyer should put that car on the streets quickly.
Probably he has to pay a fine for using track mode on the streets.
Oh, he mustve been pulled over while it was in N mode? I glossed over the thread, but either way, the decibel test was done incorrectly for the reasons you provided.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Oh, he mustve been pulled over while it was in N mode? I glossed over the thread, but either way, the decibel test was done incorrectly for the reasons you provided.
There is a dashcam video from the Elantra POV.
The guy was very stupid to admit that was using track mode. He also was a bit aggressive in the way he was talking to the officer.

For sure the outcome would be another if he just said that the car was unmodified while keeping a calm tone of voice. You don't need to answer all the questions. Just play the stupid card and say is stock.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
The guy was very stupid to admit that was using track mode. He also was a bit aggressive in the way he was talking to the officer.

For sure the outcome would be another if he just said that the car was unmodified while keeping a calm tone of voice. You don't need to answer all the questions. Just play the stupid card and say is stock.
That officer was being a total asshole regardless. He’s talking down to the driver and making it like he did something wrong

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't need to answer all the questions. Just play the stupid card and say is stock.
Yes. And what's even worse, the Elantra doesn't have "track" mode, which makes the entire argument moot. The owner messed up, and he could've even said N mode, which means absolutely nothing to the law.

OP
OP

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
He seemed calm to me, the officer was being an asshole. And he did truthfully say the car is stock, no need to act stupid.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag

Huh? Where was the driver being aggressive? He was calm and being very upfront about the car and it’s noise. Cop was being a ass about which tracks for the IE. BAR is situation sucks considering Hyundai is headquartered here in SoCal.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
"I invoke my right to the 5th Amendment."

"I respectfully choose not to answer the question, per my right to the 5th Amendment."

"I plead the 5th."

All of those would have been appropriate responses. This is especially true as he had the dashcam as a failsafe if disputed.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
It wouldn't matter if he invoked the fifth or played dumb. That cop was going to send his ass to the state ref regardless. Most cops will have you pop your hood and check for mods, this cop was very upfront that he's sending him. So he could play dumb or stay quiet, either way car would need to be BAR'd.

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I hope NY never gets this crazy with restrictions

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I hope NY never gets this crazy with restrictions
Oh it can depends on who you elect to represent you........Soon you get what you vote for

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is beyond wild to me. Imagine trying to explain this to a DMV call center rep, or walking in to the DMV building and getting tossed around to 90 different desks and kiosks only to be shut down because you didn't have (or in his case, could never get) form 23.1B or whatever and being told to pound sand. What a joke.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
This is beyond wild to me. Imagine trying to explain this to a DMV call center rep, or walking in to the DMV building and getting tossed around to 90 different desks and kiosks only to be shut down because you didn't have (or in his case, could never get) form 23.1B or whatever and being told to pound sand. What a joke.
For real...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually surprised this hasn't made the national news. Guy buys a brand new car and is simply driving around stock. Gets pulled over by a cop who is a complete douche to him for little reason.

As far as California law, if Hyundai has sold something that isn't legal in that State, aren't they obligated to make it right?

Side note. Any chance we can remove California from the US so they can have their own country with their own stupid laws? My condolences to anyone living the that State. Nice weather though. ;)
Sponsored