1.5T CAI vs SRI

toshiro129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Hi Everyone!,

New to mods and stuff like that but I waas able to pick up my first car (2016 Touring), was looking to put in either a SRI or CAI. I currently live in Ontario, Canada.

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of running a CAI/SRI without a tune? I do plan to do it in the future but not at the same time as i install the CAI/SRI.

Also any recommendations for CAI or SRI would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically, from tests so far, SRI's will not net you anything except a different sound. CAI is the only way to go if you want to make any power.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi Everyone!,
New to mods and stuff like that but I waas able to pick up my first car (2016 Touring), was looking to put in either a SRI or CAI. I currently live in Ontario, Canada.
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of running a CAI/SRI without a tune? I do plan to do it in the future but not at the same time as i install the CAI/SRI.
Thanks!
In short an SRI will not net has much power has a CAI (it will be very little to none on these cars) but it does make the sound which some really enjoy and they are much easier to install.
A CAI will result in more power potential has it sources it's cold air from the fender away from engine bay heat. It's shortcoming is for those who have concern with very wet environments locating the filter that low in the car can be hazardous and filter maintenance becomes trickier.

Do be aware you have a Canadian car so most CAI will not work due to the location of your windshield washer bottle on the driver side. Our unit is the only one right out of the box that will work. I believe there are one or two others on the market that will also work but require a conversion kit.

We have an option available for these cars so feel free to check us out and let me know if you have any questions.

OP
OP

toshiro129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
Is there any major drawback of running your CAI without a tune? I was looking into getting the flashpro possibly next year.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any major drawback of running your CAI without a tune? I was looking into getting the flashpro possibly next year.
No sir, you can run it on a 100% stock car no problem. That being said you will always optimize the system with a tune.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have a SRI here in New Brunsick and i love the turbo sound it makes!!!
its been 7 month now with very low temperture outside...so no losse in power whatsoever....depends if you live downtown and be stuck in lot of traffic...then you would prefer CAI...if not SRI will be plenty of fun to drive ;)

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Hi Everyone!,

Thanks!
The difference between a CAI/SRI is marginal at best on a turbo motor. Your butt dyno won't be able to tell the difference. Most of the popular brands will suit your needs though. From what I've seen, I like the design of the Mishimoto intake.

For actual performance, what you should be considering is which intercooler to buy, as it is the intercooler that makes the most difference in lowering charge air temps and resisting heat soak. Because no matter what intake you buy, the turbo heats up the intake air far above ambient temps and only the intercooler is left after that to bring it back down. Unless you run a water/meth system, that is.

Reactions: Myx

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The difference between a CAI/SRI is marginal at best on a turbo motor. Your butt dyno won't be able to tell the difference. Most of the popular brands will suit your needs though. From what I've seen, I like the design of the Mishimoto intake.

For actual performance, what you should be considering is which intercooler to buy, as it is the intercooler that makes the most difference in lowering charge air temps and resisting heat soak. Because no matter what intake you buy, the turbo heats up the intake air far above ambient temps and only the intercooler is left after that to bring it back down. Unless you run a water/meth system, that is.
I'd have to argue you against you on that one. If you are trying to get the most out of our factory turbo, you will find you fare much better with a proper cold air intake. Heat is the enemy. If you are running around on the stock tune it probably does not matter as much. This can of course vary across various types of engines and turbochargers but this seems to hold true for the 1.5T / factory turbo. Especially in warmer parts of the country.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I'd have to argue you against you on that one. If you are trying to get the most out of our factory turbo, you will find you fare much better with a proper cold air intake. Heat is the enemy. If you are running around on the stock tune it probably does not matter as much. This can of course vary across various types of engines and turbochargers but this seems to hold true for the 1.5T / factory turbo. Especially in warmer parts of the country.
I don't see any counterpoints here, but IME, the intake doesn't usually result in substantial gains, especially on Honda motors, which have well designed intakes from the factory. On every turbo car I've had, from boosted B series to VW turbodiesels, running a high quality intercooler has always made the most significant difference for me in lowering charge air temps. As long as the intake flows the necessary CFM's, that is what matters most.

Tweaking dyno #'s to show purported gains is nothing new, but if people want to kid themselves into believing that they will make significant gains from bolting on a magic intake with reduced filtration capabilities from stock, more power to them. I go by what #'s I see when I dyno my cars, not by the manufacturer's.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't see any counterpoints here, but IME, the intake doesn't usually result in substantial gains, especially on Honda motors, which have well designed intakes from the factory. On every turbo car I've had, from boosted B series to VW turbodiesels, running a high quality intercooler has always made the most significant difference for me in lowering charge air temps. As long as the intake flows the necessary CFM's, that is what matters most.

Tweaking dyno #'s to show purported gains is nothing new, but if people want to kid themselves into believing that they will make significant gains from bolting on a magic intake with reduced filtration capabilities from stock, more power to them. I go by what #'s I see when I dyno my cars, not by the manufacturer's.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/prl-...eally-make-a-difference-results-inside.20408/

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Lol you got custom tuned with that intake! By the manufacturer no less! Of course you saw those gains. The average joe shopping for bolt-ons with a generic or stock tune doesn't get that kind of performance. Nor does he have the time/inclination to spend "months" datalogging.

I understand you need to protect your sponsors so this is my last reply on the subject.

I knew this would require a tune but also knew I'd have plenty of help with that so I was not worried about that part.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:doh:

PRL had zero involvement in the tuning. I was simply sharing my measured performance gains on this specific platform, I feel that data is much more valuable than various experiences across other turbocharged platforms. Six months ago I would’ve told you an intake was a waste of time and money, but the data proves otherwise. There are various intakes on the market that do not require a tune that also improve performance. Most notably was a series of data logs I reviewed from a CVT car running an Injen intake. It made a remarkable difference and that particular intake is not known for it’s quality. Not everyone has the time or interest to take datalogs or review them, but why not take advantage of the research others have done? Back to one of my original points, these are both cars pushed far beyond the factory tune and what the factory intake was designed for, I would not expect the same gains on a factory tune. I would however expect more gains than you’d find by replacing the intercooler on a vehicle running the factory tune.

:topic:

A SRI is great for making a lot of noise and raising your IATs.

OP
OP

toshiro129

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
i have a SRI here in New Brunsick and i love the turbo sound it makes!!!
its been 7 month now with very low temperture outside...so no losse in power whatsoever....depends if you live downtown and be stuck in lot of traffic...then you would prefer CAI...if not SRI will be plenty of fun to drive ;)
Nice! Which one did you put in yours?

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Even before I tuned, the K&N SRI kit made a difference between my car and the stock box on my wife's identical car. It's not massive by any means, but low end acceleration, and passing acceleration is much cleaner. Stock feels "suffocated". This is on a 2.0na, so not at all comparable to force injection. Worth the $260 I spent? Probably not, but the sound improvement and gains had with a tune have so far made it worth it to me. And the lifetime warranty on the filter itself. Plus the kit just looks clean. It's one of those things that if the rest of the system isn't restricted (exhaust), will make the most use of.

I'll never do another CAI after getting water dilution on my last vehicle. That was annoying to clear out, with several rounds of fouled plugs and oil pan drains...

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice! Which one did you put in yours?
i bought the Af Dynamic one in red...i just clean the filter from all the dirt from winter for the first time since i have it in.....
all i can say i do freeway every day...85% freeway and 15% city driving and the air that flow under the hood is exellent
no noticable heatsoak...but like i said if you live downtown in hot 2 month of summer you could lose 3-5 hp? if so........
but i like it a lot plenty enough for my tatse Canada is pretty cold in the last 8-10 month a year....you know what i mean ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen CAI vs SRI hondas
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx