CAI for winter driving a bad idea?

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
Hey all, just looking for opinions on this one. I daily my si and winter drive it as well. I would really like to purchase a CAI for the car but am slightly worried about the winter with the location of the intake.

Just wondering if anyone else winter drive with a CAI and just looking for thoughts/suggestions in general. I do understand there is a hydroshield I can purchase for the CAI as well but was not sure if that was a viable option.
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
You are fine without it for the winter.
Be more worried about driving through flooded waters.
Someone measured stock height from the bottom of the intake to the pavement. That is how much you can spare. Forgot what the actual length was.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
As long as you're not fording rivers, you'll be fine.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, just looking for opinions on this one. I daily my si and winter drive it as well. I would really like to purchase a CAI for the car but am slightly worried about the winter with the location of the intake.

Just wondering if anyone else winter drive with a CAI and just looking for thoughts/suggestions in general. I do understand there is a hydroshield I can purchase for the CAI as well but was not sure if that was a viable option.
We have an option that is specially suited for the application if you are still looking for an option.

OP
OP
Reuuk

Reuuk

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, '83 Datsun 280ZX
We have an option that is specially suited for the application if you are still looking for an option.
Still shopping around at the moment. Had some unexpected life expenses come up so the civic mods are on hold slightly. That being said I have looked into your design as well and I quite like it, this may be the route I go in the end just for peace of mind.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Still shopping around at the moment. Had some unexpected life expenses come up so the civic mods are on hold slightly. That being said I have looked into your design as well and I quite like it, this may be the route I go in the end just for peace of mind.
If you have any questions at all just let me or my team know.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve had a cai on several Honda’s over the years and never had the slightest problem. We don’t get much snow here in the south and I don’t drive through water that I shouldn’t be...I’ve never understood all the paranoia about cai’s

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Any one with a CAI try it with and without a hydro shield? I'm curious if the impact is noticeable.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any one with a CAI try it with and without a hydro shield? I'm curious if the impact is noticeable.
I do not have the hydroshield and I am not concerned in the least about water intrusion. I really think people are overreacting when it comes to these CAI kits and hydrolock. As long as the driver exercises some common sense, such as not driving through deep puddles, I don't expect there to ever be an issue.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do not have the hydroshield and I am not concerned in the least about water intrusion. I really think people are overreacting when it comes to these CAI kits and hydrolock. As long as the driver exercises some common sense, such as not driving through deep puddles, I don't expect there to ever be an issue.
Common sense means little when traveling at 40 mph with traffic and hitting a sudden stretch of road with deeper water. You're not going to be able to slam on the brakes and stop dead in the road. Even if you slow down though, you'll potentially get sustained heavy spray shooting up at the area where the intake is. It may be harder to do on this car, but it's possible.

Would still be interested to hear feedback from anyone who's actually used a hydroshield.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Common sense means little when traveling at 40 mph with traffic and hitting a sudden stretch of road with deeper water. You're not going to be able to slam on the brakes and stop dead in the road. Even if you slow down though, you'll potentially get sustained heavy spray shooting up at the area where the intake is. It may be harder to do on this car, but it's possible.

Would still be interested to hear feedback from anyone who's actually used a hydroshield.
Agree, but remember that where the CAI sits in this car is closed off. The open vent on the front grill of the Civic (at least the Si) is on the passenger side. The driver side is closed off and even the heaviest of sprays isn't going to get in that area, unless the car is actually submerged. Not saying a hydroshield is a bad ideal; just don't think it's necessary unless the intake is truly exposed.

I think there are a few folks that have installed a hydroshield.... hope they chime in so you can get your answer.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agree, but remember that where the CAI sits in this car is closed off. The open vent on the front grill of the Civic (at least the Si) is on the passenger side. The driver side is closed off and even the heaviest of sprays isn't going to get in that area, unless the car is actually submerged. Not saying a hydroshield is a bad ideal; just don't think it's necessary unless the intake is truly exposed.

I think there are a few folks that have installed a hydroshield.... hope they chime in so you can get your answer.
Thanks. From your experience with your install, how large is the opening into the area where the filter sits? If I recall correctly, the cavity where the filter sits (behind the fog lights) is fairly open on the upper portion closest to the driver's side tire, no?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks. From your experience with your install, how large is the opening into the area where the filter sits? If I recall correctly, the cavity where the filter sits (behind the fog lights) is fairly open on the upper portion closest to the driver's side tire, no?
It's pretty open, and the filter was a few inches from the floor (?) of the car. Maybe belly pan is a better word? I've got some pictures I can dig out I think.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's pretty open, and the filter was a few inches from the floor (?) of the car. Maybe belly pan is a better word? I've got some pictures I can dig out I think.
Thanks. That area is my primary worry - I'm concerned that heavy spray from the wheels could come in via the opening in upper rear portion of the cavity (I believe that the suspension parts are located by this opening). If water can get in through there, then since the rest of the cavity is sealed up tight, I could see it gradually pooling in the area with the filter and eventually getting sucked up.
Sponsored