jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I guess we have to go through Corey to get the race version radiator and how much more was it? I only see the street version on their website.
Sponsored

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the late reply.. just saw the question.

Just didn’t want to run into limp mode at the track due to heat. Experienced that once due to fuel starvation and was no fun at all.

Didn’t run into heat issues my (4) previous track days this year... however:
  • Only (1) was a low speed track (Streets of Willow)
  • It was during spring. Ambient temps were usually low 70’s
  • Was just starting out as a beginner so not pushing the car hard.
  • Never was confident the Koyorad was part of the permanent solution.

I’ve followed @Lust ’s build thread for awhile and saw him post about the PWR Race Radiator on the FB Type R track page, trusting his judgement, I jumped on it.

Secured one from PWR before they decided to offer their designs exclusively through their C&R Racing here in the states.

Was really happy to see Lust’s initial feedback of success in 97-104F.

I had similarly good results in 101F though likely don’t drive close to his level. But was on SOW with lots of turns and not many straightaways to cool down.

The Acuity hoses went on the same time as the radiator.

Next scheduled track day is 11/21 Chuckwalla

@fatherpain Was there a main reason you switched from Koyo to PWR? With Acuity reverse flow hoses on both will you notice a better difference with PWR?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ED81CCA8-ED03-4C33-A4D0-7660AA2D7E9A.jpeg

Received a help request via PM from a forum member who just had a C&R race radiator installed and developed a coolant leak. The shop that did the work is closed until Monday so he was in a bind.

This fellow Type R owner lives just a few minutes away, so had him bring the car to see if we could fix the problem.

Raised the car and removed the under tray and plastics to access the radiator.

3909E319-9038-4F7C-B15F-3E0720DCE5CB.jpeg
The source of the leak was the lower radiator hose connection. Suspect due to a design issue with the C&R radiator.

It’s difficult to see, but it appears the base of the hose connector terminates right on or next to the horizontal weld joint.

The upper portion of the hose hits the weld bead (blue arrow). This results in a 3/4” gap on the lower side (red) that cannot be made up and becomes a potential leak point.

There’s a chance It leaked due to a sloppy shop install... but there wasn’t too much adjustment other than the OEM clamp position.

Fixed the leak by adding a 2nd hose clamp. Hopefully that holds. The ideal repair might be to notch a cutout on the hose, but that would require completely draining the radiator :(

12F64E14-1150-48E8-9411-399AFFB09001.png
This is the PWR version that Lust and I have. Notice the hose connector sits further down, away from the same weld joint.

Confident C&R will make adjustments to future radiators once this is brought to their attention. But for those that already have these, please be aware.

If have one on order, suggest reaching out to C&R to request they address this issue before shipping.

At the very least, take extra care when installing and consider adding an extra hose clamp.

Last edited:

Petrolicious

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2019 Lexus RX 350 F Sport, 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Compared to the Koyorad radiator, is the C&R radiator thicker or thinner?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Very helpful. Wonder if the C&W or Koyorad radiator would fit if you have aftermarket IC piping
It didn’t fit well with my HKS ic and piping. I think it has to do with the angle of the hot side piping on the HKS. I run the C&R intercooler now and will probably upgrade the charge pipes to PRL.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed 9304B14F-C6F4-4B98-887D-F8AFF658BC46

Here is how the Koyorad initially fit with the Wagner Intercooler Silicone hoses. PWR was similar. Wasn’t comfortable with the lack of clearance so took a grinder and trimmed the edge of the radiator frame back a little.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed 06E216CB-8A31-4176-951F-9D9E299C4322

Just like this along the blue line. Koyo pictured. Did the same for the PWR

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed 5D97EB97-BBEC-41E4-86F6-BBBB684F2250
Much better fit. Koyo shown. PWR similar

Koyorad install DIY link here

PWR similar to C&R DIY install here

Very helpful. Wonder if the C&W or Koyorad radiator would fit if you have aftermarket IC piping

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
C&R/PWR would be lighter and more efficient while maintaining low IATs and consistent boost pressure. You’ll be able to continually do pulls with the C&R whereas with the PRL you might have heatsoak issues and not be able to shed the heat.

95A6D157-86CA-4ED1-A9F5-BAB78B5016E7.jpeg

33A7CE34-4F50-4C1B-8FC5-FAA909AD4899.jpeg

243A8B58-9CBB-407B-817C-5A3ED1ED18AF.jpeg

E7137B92-1CC6-4DC3-8BE1-B72BE7D9AD80.jpeg
I hate this sight everytime i think ive finished my spread sheet build you guys come up with finding new companies with new parts.... Can you drop the link for this one I can only find the AUD and not this one.... ugh

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I hate this sight everytime i think ive finished my spread sheet build you guys come up with finding new companies with new parts.... Can you drop the link for this one I can only find the AUD and not this one.... ugh
Email Cory to order. [email protected]
Let him know I sent you and you’ll be taken care of :)

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
ED81CCA8-ED03-4C33-A4D0-7660AA2D7E9A.jpeg

Received a help request via PM from a forum member who just had a C&R race radiator installed and developed a coolant leak. The shop that did the work is closed until Monday so he was in a bind.

This fellow Type R owner lives just a few minutes away, so had him bring the car to see if we could fix the problem.

Raised the car and removed the under tray and plastics to access the radiator.

3909E319-9038-4F7C-B15F-3E0720DCE5CB.jpeg
The source of the leak was the lower radiator hose connection. Suspect due to a design issue with the C&R radiator.

It’s difficult to see, but it appears the base of the hose connector terminates right on or next to the horizontal weld joint.

The upper portion of the hose hits the weld bead (blue arrow). This results in a 3/4” gap on the lower side (red) that cannot be made up and becomes a potential leak point.

There’s a chance It leaked due to a sloppy shop install... but there wasn’t too much adjustment other than the OEM clamp position.

Fixed the leak by adding a 2nd hose clamp. Hopefully that holds. The ideal repair might be to notch a cutout on the hose, but that would require completely draining the radiator :(

12F64E14-1150-48E8-9411-399AFFB09001.png
This is the PWR version that Lust and I have. Notice the hose connector sits further down, away from the same weld joint.

Confident C&R will make adjustments to future radiators once this is brought to their attention. But for those that already have these, please be aware.

If have one on order, suggest reaching out to C&R to request they address this issue before shipping.

At the very least, take extra care when installing and consider adding an extra hose clamp.
I want to give some more insight on this.

The weld bead should not be a problem. My radiator has the same welds and location as the one leaking. Radiator hose connections “seal” with a clamp directly behind the nipple on the radiator itself. The clamp should be located directly where my finger is pointing.
@fatherpain I would advise whomever you had add a second clamp, to remove both clamps and only have one located directly where I pointed in the picture. I 100% guarantee it will not leak with proper clamp location and proper clamp torque (assuming an adjustable clamp was used). Spring or tension clamps are technically only good for one use (oem ones).

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed E058207C-1C98-416C-ACEE-E9B4166819BE

Last edited:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there 17RGuy,
Thank you, that is good to know. If that is the case, I'm not exactly sure why the lower hose connection was leaking so badly. The OEM clamp had been placed closer to the radiator itself.. Approximately in the middle of the aluminum tube.

The car with the leaking radiator was not mine... But am the one that added the 2nd hose clamp to get the leak to stop. The good news is the driver hasn't texted me back, so the leak repair appears to be holding.

Maybe the root cause was a poor install by the shop and not the weld joint as I originally theorized.

Can you please post another photo of that lower hose connection where it contacts the horizontal weld seam?

I want to give some more insight on this.

The weld bead should not be a problem. My radiator has the same welds and location as the one leaking. Radiator hose connections “seal” with a clamp directly behind the nipple on radiator itself. The clamp should be located directly where my finger is pointing.
@fatherpain I would advise whomever you had add a second clamp, to remember both clamps and only have one located directly where I pointed in the picture. I 100% guarantee it will not leak with proper clamp location and proper clamp torque (assuming an adjustable clamp was used). Spring or tension clamps are technically only good for one use (oem ones).

E058207C-1C98-416C-ACEE-E9B4166819BE.jpeg

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Hey there 17RGuy,
Thank you, that is good to know. If that is the case, I'm not exactly sure why the lower hose connection was leaking so badly. The OEM clamp had been placed closer to the radiator itself.. Approximately in the middle of the aluminum tube.

The car with the leaking radiator was not mine... But am the one that added the 2nd hose clamp to get the leak to stop. The good news is the driver hasn't texted me back, so the leak repair appears to be holding.

Maybe the root cause was a poor install by the shop and not the weld joint as I originally theorized.

Can you please post another photo of that lower hose connection where it contacts the horizontal weld seam?
Sorry, had a couple typos in my previous post that I had fixed. “Remember” was supposed to be “remove.”
I’ll snap a couple pictures tomorrow morning and post them.
In all my years wrenching, I cannot tell you how many “leaking” radiators were due to clamp over-tightening and/or improper placement of the clamp. I did it myself way back on my 92gsr, which was my first C&R radiator coincidentally.
Sponsored