BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
I did it in my garage on jack stands. I put a 5 gallon bucket under the drain plug. Very little mess. I think the biggest headache is getting the front bumper off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Radiator swap a pretty easy deal to be done in a garage, or better with a lift due to the fluids?
Most rad swaps I've done are very simple. Just make sure nothing is obstructing the flow of the drain otherwise it'll splash everywhere.

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
I did it in my garage on jack stands. I put a 5 gallon bucket under the drain plug. Very little mess. I think the biggest headache is getting the front bumper off.
The rad swaps I've seen is through the top without the front bumper removal. I can imagine taking the bumper will be easier to access the radiator, but taking the bumper off is a pain in itself.

OP
OP
BlinkerBeat

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The rad swaps I've seen is through the top without the front bumper removal. I can imagine taking the bumper will be easier to access the radiator, but taking the bumper off is a pain in itself.
I was taking the bumper off anyway for the intercooler, so, I didn't bother looking for a way to get to the condenser bolts. The bottoms 2 bolts might be hard to get to with the bumper on.
Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed 1594947941513

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen C&R Radiator Installed FC7DAA66-D745-405D-87DE-41739995E96D
BlinkerBeat, I missed my initial attempt at a cut for the new drain plug ? but got it in the end ? . Hope your cut was cleaner :)

This is my 2nd FK8 radiator swap. @Milktealord Bumper removed is definitely the way to go. Not too hard once get the hang of it ;)

OP
OP
BlinkerBeat

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
BlinkerBeat, I missed my initial attempt at a cut for the new drain plug ? but got it in the end ? . Hope your cut was cleaner :)
I didn't cut a new hole. I figured I would deal with the mess next time I change fluid ? ... or try to find a big piece of tubing to fit over it? IDK, haha

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Realized after wanting to verify the drain plug was tight, that the PWR drain plug was pointed down instead of sideways like the OEM and Koyorad.

Was able to tighten the plug a little, using an Allen key, once the hole was there.

Did you perform the voltage test to verify no electrolysis? PWR instructions say to do this. Curious if C&R has same instructions (should).

I didn't cut a new hole. I figured I would deal with the mess next time I change fluid ? ... or try to find a big piece of tubing to fit over it? IDK, haha

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
I was watching how this guy removed his radiator, I wonder how he removed the bottom two bolts.

He never removed the bumper so I was glad. Because I removed my front bumper at least 4 times already, maybe because of my heavy handiness, each time breaks a tab or scratch the bumper and when I put it back, the bumper gap gets bigger. Then my OCD kicks in and I start heat gunning the tabs to tighten the gap and I swore I would never take the bumper off again. Now you came along with a promising result of the PWR and C&R radiator o_O
Can the bottom two bolts be accessed from the bottom?

OP
OP
BlinkerBeat

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Realized after wanting to verify the drain plug was tight, that the PWR drain plug was pointed down instead of sideways like the OEM and Koyorad.

Was able to tighten the plug a little, using an Allen key, once the hole was there.

Did you perform the voltage test to verify no electrolysis? PWR instructions say to do this. Curious if C&R has same instructions (should).
I'll have to remove the under tray to get to the allen bolt. the C&R didn't come with any instructions. I only installed it. Did a vacuum test then filled with coolant.

OP
OP
BlinkerBeat

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Milktealord I understand the pain. I know I'll get rock chips but don't want to cause any undue damage. When I get the I/C installed this weekend I'll check if the lower 2 bolt can be accessed without them removing the bumper

OP
OP
BlinkerBeat

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is the additional instruction that came the PWR race radiator
Hum. Nothing like that from C&R. Just a radiator in a (well packaged) box. I played it fast and loose. I drained the old coolant, installed the radiator, vacuum tested the system then vacuum filled to ensure no air pockets. My car has 4,500 miles. Hopefully there are not shorts and the coolant should be relatively clean.
Sponsored