C&R/PWR Radiator Feedback and Testing

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Sorry to bump this thread from the dead, but wondering what kinda ECT's would be considered safe to run for this car. I ask because I'm wondering if my setup isn't doing a good enough job. This past weekend at Streets, I hit about 232F max, and was normally between 220-225 while pushing 10/10th. Ambient temp was around 83F.
General rule of thumb I’ve stuck to with ect’s during track days is 220F and below for any platform.
Sponsored

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
General rule of thumb I’ve stuck to with ect’s during track days is 220F and below for any platform.
Thats my general understanding too. Under 230F is fine, 220F ideal. But honestly even in cool days, I see 220's when pushing hard. But curious what the C&R can do since I'm on the Koyo with Acuity hoses, vented hood and bigger grill.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Thats my general understanding too. Under 230F is fine, 220F ideal. But honestly even in cool days, I see 220's when pushing hard. But curious what the C&R can do since I'm on the Koyo with Acuity hoses, vented hood and bigger grill.
I can let you know soon! Hopefully someone already has that data. If you are seeing 220F+ in 83 degree heat, I would bet you are gonna run in to problems with higher ambient temps pretty quick.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can let you know soon! Hopefully someone already has that data. If you are seeing 220F+ in 83 degree heat, I would bet you are gonna run in to problems with higher ambient temps pretty quick.
Likely yes, but I prob wont do track days hotter than that, no point. Everything is miserable. Won't run again until September.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I have never liked where the aftermarket oil coolers are mounted. Has anyone used an upgraded radiator such as PWR or Koyo and mounted an oil cooler in front in a more traditional place? Obviously this would have to be higher than the IC. If coolant temps are ok, then this will trade off decreasing oil temps (more effectively than a wheel well mounted cooler) for increased coolant temps. In this way, the increased capacity of the bigger radiator can be used to drop oil temps as well as coolant temps. Question is, is there enough increased overall cooling capacity to make this work. I am assuming a properly vented hood.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have never liked where the aftermarket oil coolers are mounted. Has anyone used an upgraded radiator such as PWR or Koyo and mounted an oil cooler in front in a more traditional place? Obviously this would have to be higher than the IC. If coolant temps are ok, then this will trade off decreasing oil temps (more effectively than a wheel well mounted cooler) for increased coolant temps. In this way, the increased capacity of the bigger radiator can be used to drop oil temps as well as coolant temps. Question is, is there enough increased overall cooling capacity to make this work. I am assuming a properly vented hood.
I'm leaning toward preferring a front mount oil cooler as well. Sirimoto makes a nice kit, Perrin too. I think it'd be fine with a stock radiator and obviously even better with an upgraded one.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Ill have some feedback in September hopefully once I get the MAP one mounted. Pre-oil cooler in 60 degree weather, I was seeing oil temps of almost 280.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Ill have some feedback in September hopefully once I get the MAP one mounted. Pre-oil cooler in 60 degree weather, I was seeing oil temps of almost 280.
Never seen that one before, looks like a really nice kit. Looking forward to hearing results. 280F is pretty high. What oil and viscosity are you running?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not a fan of the front mounted oil cooler, though for post 2019’s that might be the only option..

I seem to recall someone working on a sidemounted kit for 2020+ but haven’t kept track of that progress.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that does seem high. Are you on a PWR race radiator?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok. I tracked with a Koyo on Big Willow, which is a high speed track and my temp gauge was hovering around 70% on a 70F day and I’m not a very fast driver. Definitely slower then as was just beginning to track.

Since upgrading to the PWR Race radiator have driven in 103F on the much slower Streets of Willow where it has lots of turns and not much in the way of cool down stretches and the temp gauge never moved off from normal.

Same is true for subsequent Big Willow days. Gauge stays at normal.

If your temps remain high with the new oil cooler, recommend considering going the PWR route.

Really believe that was the biggest cooling improvement to be added, along with the oil cooler, vented hood and wrapping the OEM water pipe or swapping to the Dream hardlagged version.

Am hitting Streets of Willow tomorrow with @Sam3 so will be interesting to see how our cars fare. Forecast is for 102F

This time around, my car is fully tuned to 361HP and XDI HPFP but with a couple cooling mods to offset so am looking forward to seeing if the temp gauge moves or stays the same as it’s been doing since the PWR Race radiator was added.

The new cooling mods:
  • Dream hardlagged OEM water pipe
  • Dream hardlagged turbo heat shield.

No just a koyo.
Sponsored