Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No issues so far. Highest ambient temperature I’ve tracked was around 85F back in May. At my current driving level, was probably ok with the car’s setup then.

Would’ve saved a ton of $$$ if took the approach you prescribed.. which I can’t say isn’t prudent.

However, I have confidence in PWR/C&R. Doubt it will degrade performance and OCD impulse purchasing is a personal failing. Thank goodness my build will be complete soon and I’ll begin focusing exclusively on driver mod.

Unfortunately I don’t have the means to data log (yet). My next outing will be 8/22 @Streets of Willow in 103-108F ambient.
I'm genuinely curious to see how your new hood, downpipe, radiator, & hoses will do in the heat. I suppose you wont have this latest new core installed by then. You should be able to log basic params from the Hondata (Couldn't find in your build thread if you were tuned or not).

Stay cool out there, thats gunna be a scorcher lol. ?
Sponsored

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks man. Though I still consider myself a beginner, this will be my 5th outing and 2nd on SOW. Will likely attempt intermediate this time.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Oil Cooler Kit Development 8BE2EA4E-D327-4432-80EB-8D6A54400A9F

That said, Rosamond promises to be baking and a good test for the upgraded cooling system....Even for a slowpoke like me, ?

There will also be several other Type R’s there with different set ups, so will be interesting to see how all of our cars hold up. Will definitely report back.

Lead time on the C&R core is at least (3) weeks, so no chance it will be installed in time...

Have several other mods to do first, anyways... unless the car overheats, then it would move to the front of the line.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Oil Cooler Kit Development C5FD8671-5A8F-46D7-897D-C2ADBEF8F964

Car is not currently tuned, so am driving blind. However, will be adding this soon. Still need to purchase a laptop and determine who to take it to for the tune.

In hindsight it would have been cool to tune first, so could scientifically see the effect each mod had as they went on.

I'm genuinely curious to see how your new hood, downpipe, radiator, & hoses will do in the heat. I suppose you wont have this latest new core installed by then. You should be able to log basic params from the Hondata (Couldn't find in your build thread if you were tuned or not).

Stay cool out there, thats gunna be a scorcher lol. ?

Last edited:

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks man. Though I still consider myself a beginner, this will be my 5th outing and 2nd on SOW. Will likely attempt intermediate this time.

8BE2EA4E-D327-4432-80EB-8D6A54400A9F.png

That said, Rosamond promises to be baking and a good test for the upgraded cooling system....Even for a slowpoke like me, ?

There will also be several other Type R’s there with different set ups, so will be interesting to see how all of our cars hold up. Will definitely report back.

Lead time on the C&R core is at least (3) weeks, so no chance it will be installed in time...

Have several other mods to do first, anyways... unless the car overheats, then it would move to the front of the line.

View attachment 240339
Car is not currently tuned, so am driving blind. However, this will be going at some point. Still need to purchase a laptop and determine who to take it to for the tune.

In hindsight it would have been cool to tune first, so could scientifically see the effect each mod had as they went on.
Will be a great stress test for sure. I'm planning to head out to BW CW26 on 9/13, and Sonoma 9/26 so hoping to also report back some data analysis.

Dang, MoTeC!! Too ballin Tom! Haha, can't wait to see results. I have a local tuner and raceshop I trust if you're interested. Can refer you to either of them. Planning to go to the 8/23 SoCal CTR meet? We can chat again about your track day if you can make it.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes sir! Planning to do join the foodie CTR group at the Brazilian BBQ first then hopefully I’ll get the ok from my wife to hang around for the meet. Will look for you man :)

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
BTW, as OEM do the Type R's have a cooler from the factory and, if so, are these systems in series with the OEM or in replacement of?
I believe they have an oil to water oil cooler like many of the modern turbo engines.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
That was a quick jump to another solution that we have zero data on, other than a spec sheet. Don't you want to track your current setup, log, and analyze how the changes you made since last track outting are performing? Have you experienced significant enough overheating to the point where you cant track the car?
I might be able to provide some more data on the HKS kit depending on if I can get my temp gauge installed in time. I’m going purely based off of other users’ data. On FBO cars + tune they were seeing temps above 255. A bit too toasty IMO. I don’t think there’s any oil cooler on the market that will advertise what temps to expect when running their kit. Comparing the two cores, the C&R should perform much better and I’m quite confident it will reflect in the data.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ugh I've been waiting on a chassis mount so long. I didn't really want to try and make it work with s2000 hardware and mess something up
I saw that on the FB group- I'm with you. I didn't want to Frankenstein something together, and I really want something that incorporates a chassis mount. I'm really excited for that kit- hope that wrap it up soon. No other option is available that I'm fully sold on.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might be able to provide some more data on the HKS kit depending on if I can get my temp gauge installed in time. I’m going purely based off of other users’ data. On FBO cars + tune they were seeing temps above 255. A bit too toasty IMO. I don’t think there’s any oil cooler on the market that will advertise what temps to expect when running their kit. Comparing the two cores, the C&R should perform much better and I’m quite confident it will reflect in the data.
That would be rad if you could log actual temps. I too got a SOLO 2 DL recently but I believe you said somewhere OilT is actually fuel T. AIM Sports did say they’re working on an FK8 profile that should be out soon.
Thanks for your efforts to help us find a solution!

Edit: Here’s the chart from HKS on the oil cooler
Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Oil Cooler Kit Development 69302369-A46A-4E6B-8C48-628A9A4A2D5F

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
That would be rad if you could log actual temps. I too got a SOLO 2 DL recently but I believe you said somewhere OilT is actually fuel T. AIM Sports did say they’re working on an FK8 profile that should be out soon.
Thanks for your efforts to help us find a solution!
The temps I am referencing are accurate though just to be clear. Baxi confirmed he has a VLS OilT gauge with the sensor installed onto the sandwich plate.

Yes you’re correct the OilT reading on the FK2 profile isn’t correct. I found this out when fuel starving the car and the reading maxed out at 499F. The temp normalized back down to ambient temp as I poured in fresh fuel. This is how I came to the conclusion that it’s reading fuel temps.

thanks! I try my best to help people. Some don’t realize that I have nothing to gain from this and all of the testing I do is coming straight from my own wallet. Keep in mind some car guys are stingy with their data and knowledge and won’t just willingly share it like I am.

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
Extra, if imprecise, data point here....I ran 2 weeks ago at The Autobahn full course. It was a perfect track day. Cloudy and 70*. After my third 20 minute session I shot the HKS oil cooler core with my temp gun right after I pitted and it read 200*. That was after a quarter of a cool down lap. The coolant temp gauge never moved from the normal position. Even though the weather was perfect I expected the coolant temps to move a little.

If HKS saw 115*C(239*F) oil temps in 22*C(72F) weather with their oil cooler and stock radiator, I would say the C&R street radiator is performing well. Still, not a major stress test for the cooling package on a 70* day.

Mods: C&R street radiator, C&R intercooler, HKS oil cooler, Acuity reverse flow hoses, 275/35/18 PS4s and giro discs with XP12's. Everything else is stock.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Extra, if imprecise, data point here....I ran 2 weeks ago at The Autobahn full course. It was a perfect track day. Cloudy and 70*. After my third 20 minute session I shot the HKS oil cooler core with my temp gun right after I pitted and it read 200*. That was after a quarter of a cool down lap. The coolant temp gauge never moved from the normal position. Even though the weather was perfect I expected the coolant temps to move a little.

If HKS saw 115*C(239*F) oil temps in 22*C(72F) weather with their oil cooler and stock radiator, I would say the C&R street radiator is performing well. Still, not a major stress test for the cooling package on a 70* day.

Mods: C&R street radiator, C&R intercooler, HKS oil cooler, Acuity reverse flow hoses, 275/35/18 PS4s and giro discs with XP12's. Everything else is stock.
240 is getting up there IMO. I think oil temps are most happy around 220-240 but above that is kinda risky.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
240 is getting up there IMO. I think oil temps are most happy around 220-240 but above that is kinda risky.
I think good oil has no issue with those temps and is actually good to 300 F (according to my sources at Mobil 1). The issue is whether the rest of the engine is happy. For a point of reference apparently the Nissan 370 doesn't go in to limp mode until oil temps of 280 F , a problem easily fixed with an oil cooler. Also a buddy of mine ran his C5Z Corvette up to 300 on numerous occasions with no sign of engine damage ( No limp mode on older Corvettes). I ran an oil to water cooler (oil cooled in the radiator and not separately) for years in my C5Z Corvette with temps often hitting 270 with zero consequences. Before the oil to water cooler, was also hitting 300F

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
I guess, to sum up my point, the C&R radiator helped in lowering oil temps by keeping the engine cooler.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I guess, to sum up my point, the C&R radiator helped in lowering oil temps by keeping the engine cooler.
That’s awesome! Means it’s working as intended.

nota4re

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Treg TDI; F350; Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Country flag
I believe they have an oil to water oil cooler like many of the modern turbo engines.
Yes, thank you. I did subsequently read that. The good news is that it seems that ALL of these aftermarket kits are additive which is that right way to go.
Sponsored