First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

Now that I’ve had some time to test my C&R intercooler, I can share my results/thoughts.

I think the forum knows the background of PWR/C&R so I won’t go into detail on this thread. If you don’t know, go visit the radiator and oil cooler thread.

First of all why tube and fin? I chose a tube and fin design for several reasons

1. Better overall airflow through the cooling stack (IC, AC condenser, radiator)
2. Ability to consistently shed heat at a much more rapid rate
3. Lower overall weight

Bar and plate designs may initially be less prone to heat soak but have a hard time shedding heat once over saturated. This is a common occurrence for cars that see track duty. This paired with less airflow is a recipe for disaster.

Why did I switch from HKS to C&R, they’re both tube and fin?

1. Size (665x177x87mm)
2. Thermal efficiency
3. Power

The C&R is appropriately sized for track duty in which it cools the charge air adequately without blocking crucial airflow to the radiator. A problem with oversized intercoolers is that it will act as a wall and not allow enough air to reach the radiator. This creates a rise in ECT which could then lead to overheating. C&R determined that a core thickness of 87mm is the absolute maximum before seeing a significant loss in air flow.

The crazy thing about the C&R is that it actually cools the same if not better than my HKS in a smaller package. The fin design is unmatched and is truly a more efficient package.

The HKS intercooler uses turbulated air tubes. Turbulators are used to help cool the charge air but at the cost of lower pressure. So while the HKS might have lower IATs, you’ll actually lose power because of pressure drops. C&R uses extruded tubes which provide efficient cooling without sacrificing pressure. This means more power.

If you look at very high end motorsports, you’ll see all of them are using high end tube and fin intercoolers. C&R/PWR have a lot of experience and supply teams in the highest level of racing their cooling solutions.

From my butt dyno, I’ve noticed that my turbo spool is much smoother and more responsive compared to my HKS. The biggest difference was the overall power at the top end. It was very obvious I had more power from about 5,000 RPM to redline. IATs are very similar depending on the situation. Under normal street driving and track driving, I’ve observed an overall lower ECT. My normal commute is 30 minutes mostly highway. My ECT2 temps hardly budge and are consistently at ambient temps or a few degrees above.

I only have great things to say about this intercooler. It’s an actual work of art and has the performance to back it up. I’ll update this thread sometime soon and provide data logs once my tuning is finished. Please feel free to leave a comment with questions or concerns. If you’re running this intercooler, please share your experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler 45AB5313-3A9D-4F3E-83D9-5554922F765A

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler 687B1F38-253F-44C6-849B-504E5F871C6E

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler 6F239B13-0AA8-43B3-9322-1BAAD1D5E6A3

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler F60F929A-CB4E-4DAA-B163-BC719912F7C4

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler 9B3B25ED-F4F9-4F31-ABF6-73BA80DB120A

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler AD77923D-F16C-4228-9C90-D8E7BF6C3693

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler CF0845F9-3845-4267-A4F3-33ECAF844E93

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler CBC1D822-5C00-4793-B386-CFFF745B8071

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Niiiiiice. @boosted180sx just swapped to a C&R too. I anxiously await datalogs from you both :headbang:

I think C&R is the only company making an FK8 intercooler that actually makes their cores too. Could be wrong though.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Niiiiiice. @boosted180sx just swapped to a C&R too. I anxiously await datalogs from you both :headbang:

I think C&R is the only company making an FK8 intercooler that actually makes their cores too. Could be wrong though.
I can’t speak for other companies but C&R hand builds their products here in the states.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I can’t speak for other companies but C&R hand builds their products here in the states.
What I mean is that many of the companies just weld end tanks onto the actual core of the intercooler which made by another company. C&R is one of the few that makes their cores too, or so I've been told.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
What I mean is that many of the companies just weld end tanks onto the actual core of the intercooler which made by another company. C&R is one of the few that makes their cores too, or so I've been told.
Yea C&R makes the entire thing including the cores.

Sycosys

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Interesting, everything looks nice but I wonder why the top and bottom core "covers"? They seem to just be for aesthetics and might block a small amount of air.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Interesting, everything looks nice but I wonder why the top and bottom core "covers"? They seem to just be for aesthetics and might block a small amount of air.
Im not sure but I can ask what the reason is. To me it looks like. A reinforcement maybe?

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am curious about this as well. Since there is no air charge going through the top and bottom, that means the outer most air charge bank(s) will get extra cooling, which could be beneficial to overall air charge flow.

edit: the U shape will definitely make the plate more stiff but that’s not what I’m curious about.

Last edited:

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

Now that I’ve had some time to test my C&R intercooler, I can share my results/thoughts.

I think the forum knows the background of PWR/C&R so I won’t go into detail on this thread. If you don’t know, go visit the radiator and oil cooler thread.

First of all why tube and fin? I chose a tube and fin design for several reasons

1. Better overall airflow through the cooling stack (IC, AC condenser, radiator)
2. Ability to consistently shed heat at a much more rapid rate
3. Lower overall weight

Bar and plate designs may initially be less prone to heat soak but have a hard time shedding heat once over saturated. This is a common occurrence for cars that see track duty. This paired with less airflow is a recipe for disaster.

Why did I switch from HKS to C&R, they’re both tube and fin?

1. Size (665x177x87mm)
2. Thermal efficiency
3. Power

The C&R is appropriately sized for track duty in which it cools the charge air adequately without blocking crucial airflow to the radiator. A problem with oversized intercoolers is that it will act as a wall and not allow enough air to reach the radiator. This creates a rise in ECT which could then lead to overheating. C&R determined that a core thickness of 87mm is the absolute maximum before seeing a significant loss in air flow.

The crazy thing about the C&R is that it actually cools the same if not better than my HKS in a smaller package. The fin design is unmatched and is truly a more efficient package.

The HKS intercooler uses turbulated air tubes. Turbulators are used to help cool the charge air but at the cost of lower pressure. So while the HKS might have lower IATs, you’ll actually lose power because of pressure drops. C&R uses extruded tubes which provide efficient cooling without sacrificing pressure. This means more power.

If you look at very high end motorsports, you’ll see all of them are using high end tube and fin intercoolers. C&R/PWR have a lot of experience and supply teams in the highest level of racing their cooling solutions.

From my butt dyno, I’ve noticed that my turbo spool is much smoother and more responsive compared to my HKS. The biggest difference was the overall power at the top end. It was very obvious I had more power from about 5,000 RPM to redline. IATs are very similar depending on the situation. Under normal street driving and track driving, I’ve observed an overall lower ECT. My normal commute is 30 minutes mostly highway. My ECT2 temps hardly budge and are consistently at ambient temps or a few degrees above.

I only have great things to say about this intercooler. It’s an actual work of art and has the performance to back it up. I’ll update this thread sometime soon and provide data logs once my tuning is finished. Please feel free to leave a comment with questions or concerns. If you’re running this intercooler, please share your experience.

45AB5313-3A9D-4F3E-83D9-5554922F765A.jpeg

687B1F38-253F-44C6-849B-504E5F871C6E.jpeg

6F239B13-0AA8-43B3-9322-1BAAD1D5E6A3.jpeg

F60F929A-CB4E-4DAA-B163-BC719912F7C4.jpeg

9B3B25ED-F4F9-4F31-ABF6-73BA80DB120A.jpeg

AD77923D-F16C-4228-9C90-D8E7BF6C3693.jpeg

CF0845F9-3845-4267-A4F3-33ECAF844E93.jpeg

CBC1D822-5C00-4793-B386-CFFF745B8071.jpeg
Which tubes do you have, to go along with their IC????

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
now I think the better comparison is 27won's I'C and this they seem to be really similar

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
had a prl fmic and swapped to c&r. Using it with the prl charge pipes.
i like to first say i had no issues with the PRL but wanted to try something new and move onto a tube and fin. Judging by how good their radiator technology was, i had no doubts that their intercooler would be just as good.

dimension wise, it’s basically the same with the c&r weighing about 5lbs lighter.

I haven’t driven much on it so I don’t have too much data yet. With my limited driving, I noticed about 15 deg cooler ect2 with the C&R so i have no doubt it flows more to the back. Shreds heat moment the car moves and the end IAT was about the same as the PRL. Not sure how this will translate to on track performances or after multiple pulls yet.

Need to gather more data but so far it's good. It is however, quite a bit more expensive than a PRL.

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler 3hcVPJu

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler HWijWU2

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler A4URnUZ

Honda Civic 10th gen C&R/PWR Billet Intercooler UMbIQuK

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
now I think the better comparison is 27won's I'C and this they seem to be really similar
What makes you say that? That’s more of an apples to oranges comparison

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
Not seeing the IC on their website. Is there a vendor that is selling them?
Sponsored