[C&D] Mazda 3 vs. Honda Civic vs. Toyota Corolla vs. Volkswagen Golf vs. Hyundai Elantra GT

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As Usual....non sports? they'll give you thumbs down. But then again majority of the people are not going to care about sportiness. So this "king of the hill" is nothing but based from the subjective judgement of member of the minority of car buyers.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The top four are all super close in their scoring. Any of them would be a good choice depending on the buyer's preferences.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'm seeing more and more 2020 Corollas on the street. It is starting to grow on me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was a bit much when C&D called the Civic Sport hatch "butt ugly". I mean, yeah, it's a bit over-styled but looks pretty damn good if you ask me.

McDavid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX
Country flag
I guess Motortrend wasn't paid by Honda, unless C&D was,LoL

Mazda Hatch deff. has best exterior, too bad it lacks interior space and doesn't drive as well as it looks

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I guess Motortrend wasn't paid by Honda, unless C&D was,LoL

Mazda Hatch deff. has best exterior, too bad it lacks interior space and doesn't drive as well as it looks
Recent Mazdas are form over function.

Line/Breaker

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.robertleekendrick.net
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Agree with C&D -- drove both the Sport Hatch and the GT N Line (and the SI) a few times and decided on the Sport Hatch. The Hyundai had a nicer interior, but the car was all 201HP and Pilot Sports. I thought the chassis tune, steering rack, and shifts were better in the Honda.

Both good cars, but the Civic made a fan out of me.

thewalrus

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (6pd); 2019 Honda Fit
Country flag
I literally just cross-shopped a few of these cars. My own observations:

1. The Toyota Corolla hatch is ridiculously impractical. There's no room in the back - I'd need to lay down one or both seats to get any kind of haul in there.
2. I used to own a Mazda 3. I loved it. The new one doesn't grab me the same way, though. Seems like a great price for what you get, though. The Civic 5-door seems more practical, tough. I do a lot of diving - and the Civic is the only one I think will easily hold two sets of dive gear - with the rear seats up. And that's important to me.
3. I desperately want to love VW. I've owned 3 in the past. But after the TDI scandal (which I went through as an owner of a 2013 TDI Golf), I just can't get behind them again. The Golf is a wonderful, tight, well-handling little car. Great fusion of practicality and fun. But. No.
4. I don't understand the controversy around the Civic hatch's design. I think it looks great. Aggressive, sure - but better looking than the Toyota to my eye. And at least as good as the Hyundai. The Mazda is a looker - no doubt about that.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
I literally just cross-shopped a few of these cars. My own observations:

1. The Toyota Corolla hatch is ridiculously impractical. There's no room in the back - I'd need to lay down one or both seats to get any kind of haul in there.
2. I used to own a Mazda 3. I loved it. The new one doesn't grab me the same way, though. Seems like a great price for what you get, though. The Civic 5-door seems more practical, tough. I do a lot of diving - and the Civic is the only one I think will easily hold two sets of dive gear - with the rear seats up. And that's important to me.
3. I desperately want to love VW. I've owned 3 in the past. But after the TDI scandal (which I went through as an owner of a 2013 TDI Golf), I just can't get behind them again. The Golf is a wonderful, tight, well-handling little car. Great fusion of practicality and fun. But. No.
4. I don't understand the controversy around the Civic hatch's design. I think it looks great. Aggressive, sure - but better looking than the Toyota to my eye. And at least as good as the Hyundai. The Mazda is a looker - no doubt about that.
Toyota design and reliability is not what it used to be. New Corolla sucks. Civic is way better and I used to be Toyota/Lexus fan.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I'm looking at Elantra GT N-Line or another Civic Sport 6MT, but leaning toward the latter since Hyundai requires the automatic and tech package to get the safety features, that's $5k more just to get them.

But Hyundai keeps improving their cars, and the updated i30N/Elantra GT comes out this year.
Sponsored