Buzzing sound when using the accelerator

E.Honda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 VTI-LX
Country flag
Ive been noticing this buzzing sound every time i press the accelerator, even the slightest touch will make it. Im not sure if this is normal as i only noticed it after a month of owning the car. It is coming from the engine or dash area. I have taken it to a dealer but they couldn't hear anything.

I have made a recording of it, you will need to put the volume up to hear it. Sounds like an electrical buzzing sound. Anyone notice this and is it normal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4aQiw9owbYXMjdMeHpUZk04a00/view?usp=sharing
Sponsored

hydensiq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Ive been noticing this buzzing sound every time i press the accelerator, even the slightest touch will make it. Im not sure if this is normal as i only noticed it after a month of owning the car. It is coming from the engine or dash area. I have taken it to a dealer but they couldn't hear anything.

I have made a recording of it, you will need to put the volume up to hear it. Sounds like an electrical buzzing sound. Anyone notice this and is it normal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4aQiw9owbYXMjdMeHpUZk04a00/view?usp=sharing
Does it sound like its coming from the left side? If so try to replicate the sound and than try again with your finger or a cloth pushed in between the door and dash. If it goes away the buzz/rattle is coming from the left side of the dash. You can try to either have foam or double sided moulding tape to dampen the buzz.

choijame

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
My 2018 CTR has the same electrical buzzing sound when I slightly step on the gas and goes away when I take my foot off the gas paddle. It ruins the nice sound coming from the engine.

First Name
Lonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Buzzing sound when using the accelerator shift cable bracket 2
Honda Civic 10th gen Buzzing sound when using the accelerator shift cable bracket
Got it! I had the same buzzing noise happening in my 2016 EX for about a year now. The hum sounded like it was coming from the center pillar. It would happen between 1700 and 1800 in drive and I could get it to do it around 2700 in park. Took it to Honda 3 times and they said it was because of a pair of glasses sitting in the center console… Well, no that wasn’t the issue. Anyway, it was the bracket for the shift cable underneath the car that vibrated against the floor making it sound like it came from inside. I had to pull the plastic shield and the heat shield to get to it. When I found the bracket, it was missing a nut at the U-shaped end of it. I added a nut for the bolt there. The cable has rubber insulation where the clamp is supposed to hold it. However, there is no insulation for the small metal piece in between. I taped that part up a little in case somehow the clamp shifted. Also, the clamp part of it that holds the cable has nothing holding it tight yet there’s clearly a spot to add something, so I found a short bolt and nut I had laying around. Put all the shields back up nice and tight and I haven’t had a problem since. I fixed it about a week ago and I haven’t heard anything. Hope this helps someone out there!

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
shift cable bracket 2.jpg
shift cable bracket.jpg
Got it! I had the same buzzing noise happening in my 2016 EX for about a year now. The hum sounded like it was coming from the center pillar. It would happen between 1700 and 1800 in drive and I could get it to do it around 2700 in park. Took it to Honda 3 times and they said it was because of a pair of glasses sitting in the center console… Well, no that wasn’t the issue. Anyway, it was the bracket for the shift cable underneath the car that vibrated against the floor making it sound like it came from inside. I had to pull the plastic shield and the heat shield to get to it. When I found the bracket, it was missing a nut at the U-shaped end of it. I added a nut for the bolt there. The cable has rubber insulation where the clamp is supposed to hold it. However, there is no insulation for the small metal piece in between. I taped that part up a little in case somehow the clamp shifted. Also, the clamp part of it that holds the cable has nothing holding it tight yet there’s clearly a spot to add something, so I found a short bolt and nut I had laying around. Put all the shields back up nice and tight and I haven’t had a problem since. I fixed it about a week ago and I haven’t heard anything. Hope this helps someone out there!
Interesting, would be useful if there was a guide with pictures.

Im not sure if this is the same issue I have though. Mine sounds like an electric current flowing when I step on the gas. Its like as if the touching the peddle sends out a signal to open the throttle. No idea though...

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Having this same issue on my 2017 SI. Has anyone mentioned the shift cable bracket to their dealer yet?

Supe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Same issue on my 2018 Si. It is not a mechanical issue. It is definitely electrical, it gets louder as load increases, and even at idle, the slightest tip in of throttle makes an electrical "buzzzzz...bzz-bzz" and then it stops. It always stops after lifting off the accelerator. Given the consistency and the fact that its associated with the accelerator and load, I'm really wondering if it is tied to the TPS or throttle body motor. Dying to know if someone has figured this one out, because I'm not looking forward to explaining this one to the dealer. It is not linked to AC/HVAC in any way, and is loud enough that I can notice it even over low radio volume.

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Same issue on my 2018 Si. It is not a mechanical issue. It is definitely electrical, it gets louder as load increases, and even at idle, the slightest tip in of throttle makes an electrical "buzzzzz...bzz-bzz" and then it stops. It always stops after lifting off the accelerator. Given the consistency and the fact that its associated with the accelerator and load, I'm really wondering if it is tied to the TPS or throttle body motor. Dying to know if someone has figured this one out, because I'm not looking forward to explaining this one to the dealer. It is not linked to AC/HVAC in any way, and is loud enough that I can notice it even over low radio volume.
I'm getting a whirring/whiney noise. Is that same as yours??

Seems like this thread went mechanical so I'll start another thread. Just curious. Similar rpm based though.

Supe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Not really a whirring/whiny noise. Best I can describe it is like a tattoo gun/electric razor style buzzing noise that sounds like its coming from somewhere centered on the firewall.

OP
OP
E.Honda

E.Honda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 VTI-LX
Country flag
My dealer says that the sound is normal with this model of Civics. (Australian Vti-Lx). They tested it with another car and they said the sound is also there. However i wasn't in the other car to hear it myself.

I drive with the music on most of the time so i cant hear it, but with the audio off, you can hear it and it is really annoying because im so focused on it. Its more obvious at lower speeds when you accelerate and also when you take your foot off the accelerator. And the sound is definitely electrical.

Last edited:

Mjay6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic ext
Not really a whirring/whiny noise. Best I can describe it is like a tattoo gun/electric razor style buzzing noise that sounds like its coming from somewhere centered on the firewall.
Supe did you ever find out what it was?? What you're describing sounds exactly what I'm dealing with.. driving me crazy.