Buzzing sound when using the accelerator

66chevelless511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sport hatch
Country flag
I just got this noise tonight. 2019 sport hatch, 25k miles, car owned since mile 1. Changed the oil every 5000 miles regardless, car mechanic on the side. This, for me, is definitely engine. I'll have to take it in and see if I can get some support. I can't tell if it's injector or fuel pump/regulator, or valves. If I get any more info, to I'll post. It's really loud outside the cat, open hood and definitely mid engine area.
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Old thread but did anyone experiencing this find out the root cause.

66chevelless511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sport hatch
Country flag
Old thread but did anyone experiencing this find out the root cause.
Sooooo, I meant to update and got sidetracked... I'm a little frustrated because I "limped" my car home with the engine buzzing away (having let it sit for awhile, restarting, etc.). I got an appointment with the dealer the next day, and OF COURSE, got up to take it in and NO NOISE! I ran out through it's paceds, pushing it pretty hard, limping it, and everything in between. The tech rode with me and still no nose. That was mid November and it's been fine ever since. I'm a mechanic on the side and know my stuff... I swore this was an internal engine sound in my case, but thinking I just have to have been wrong, otherwise it wouldn't have healed itself. Starting to wonder if a peice of road debris or ice found it's way into a place that rattled and buzzed until melting or falling out, but I swear it was way more metallic sounding, and internal.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ya I think you got lucky if it disappeared. Many others having same issue though still so Iā€™m assuming we all have the same problem whatever it is.

Sooooo, I meant to update and got sidetracked... I'm a little frustrated because I "limped" my car home with the engine buzzing away (having let it sit for awhile, restarting, etc.). I got an appointment with the dealer the next day, and OF COURSE, got up to take it in and NO NOISE! I ran out through it's paceds, pushing it pretty hard, limping it, and everything in between. The tech rode with me and still no nose. That was mid November and it's been fine ever since. I'm a mechanic on the side and know my stuff... I swore this was an internal engine sound in my case, but thinking I just have to have been wrong, otherwise it wouldn't have healed itself. Starting to wonder if a peice of road debris or ice found it's way into a place that rattled and buzzed until melting or falling out, but I swear it was way more metallic sounding, and internal.

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Def gonna drive me crazy trying to figure out what it is. Been trying to narrow things down. Not the center speaker. Not my A pillar or speakers. Not tied to the HVAC. I can hear it louder when I roll windows down. I have a prl hvi I want to to install but donā€™t want to install before I take to dealer because theyā€™ll just blame that. Iā€™ve also tried pressing behind the USB port to see if the heater blower is vibrating. Iā€™m 99% sure itā€™s coming from the engine bay.

roadtripjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX sedan 1.5T
Country flag
shift cable bracket 2.jpg
shift cable bracket.jpg
Got it! I had the same buzzing noise happening in my 2016 EX for about a year now. The hum sounded like it was coming from the center pillar. It would happen between 1700 and 1800 in drive and I could get it to do it around 2700 in park. Took it to Honda 3 times and they said it was because of a pair of glasses sitting in the center consoleā€¦ Well, no that wasnā€™t the issue. Anyway, it was the bracket for the shift cable underneath the car that vibrated against the floor making it sound like it came from inside. I had to pull the plastic shield and the heat shield to get to it. When I found the bracket, it was missing a nut at the U-shaped end of it. I added a nut for the bolt there. The cable has rubber insulation where the clamp is supposed to hold it. However, there is no insulation for the small metal piece in between. I taped that part up a little in case somehow the clamp shifted. Also, the clamp part of it that holds the cable has nothing holding it tight yet thereā€™s clearly a spot to add something, so I found a short bolt and nut I had laying around. Put all the shields back up nice and tight and I havenā€™t had a problem since. I fixed it about a week ago and I havenā€™t heard anything. Hope this helps someone out there!
Lonnie,
Thank you so much for the diagram and info on this buzzing noise. I printed out and brought with me to my Honda dealer Service Dept., as I was experiencing the same noise in my ā€˜20 Civic EX at first around 1700-1800, then at 2000-2200 rpmā€™s. Occurred since I bought the car as a CPO at 19k miles, 5 months ago. Service tech could reproduce the buzz and concurred that the shift wire/control was the culprit. They replaced under warranty and the buzz noise is no more! Thank you again!

roadtripjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX sedan 1.5T
Country flag
Lonnie,
Thank you so much for the diagram and info on this buzzing noise. I printed out and brought with me to my Honda dealer Service Dept., as I was experiencing the same noise in my ā€˜20 Civic EX at first around 1700-1800, then at 2000-2200 rpmā€™s. Occurred since I bought the car as a CPO at 19k miles, 5 months ago. Service tech could reproduce the buzz and concurred that the shift wire/control was the culprit. They replaced under warranty and the buzz noise is no more! Thank you again!
Oh, and just to add on the symptom sideā€¦ when I heard the buzz I jiggled the auto shifter without taking it out of gear when driving and I could get it to slightly interrupt the buzz noise. That made me think this fix was it. I could also initially replicate the buzz noise reving up to the rpm range while in Park.
Sponsored