Buzzing sound when depressing clutch pedal at 5-6k rpm

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I already wish the pedal travel was shorter
Interestingly enough, I think my clutch catches very close to the floor. It only feels like two inches or so before the RPMs begin to drop and requires throttle as the clutch engages. I haven't adjusted anything from the factory and am at 7300 miles. Thanks for the info and yes please report back any corrections you're able to find.
Sponsored

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
I have this same issue when depressing the clutch while accelerating past 4500rpm. Dealer initially just changed out tranny fluid but that did nothing. Quick note, it also does this when rev matching. So if in 4th or 5th at 2500 or 3000 and down shift. The rev matching takes you over 4500-5000 rpm and get the same “guzzinggg” as I call it. Taking it into the dealership tomorrow and will see if cmc adjustment doesn’t the trick.

I saw another post where they replaced the clutch bearing and plate to solve this but didn’t see any paperwork showing this did the trick.
Will keep you updated.

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R 2015 Volvo XC60 3.0L polestar 2003 Ford F150 Lariat crewcab
Country flag
I had this on my 2018 as well. It went away after I replaced the dog bone mount.
can you provide the paperwork for this fix so I can show the dealership?

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Taking it into the dealership tomorrow and will see if cmc adjustment doesn’t the trick.
Thanks, let me know how it goes.

My father has a lot more experience with cars and the mechanics of the clutch, so I'm waiting until I see him next month to adjust anything. I plan on making the adjustment outlined in this video (which was posted to the second gear crunch thread):

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Today has been a good day; the Jags won, and I think I've solved the clutch buzzing problem. I've only taken it for one test drive, but I think I may have fixed it.

I have ktuner, so I removed the rev limiter when the car is stopped to make it easier to identify the source of the noise. I saw that there is a cotter pin that goes into a dowel that attaches the pedal to the rod that goes into the CMC. I noticed that the noise seemed to go away when I pushed the dowel to one side (there is a significant amount of play before it hits the cotter pin), so I put some adhesive on it to hold it in place. My first test drive has not had any buzzing. I'll report back in a couple days after I test it more and try to take some pictures of what I did if it continues to work.

If this is in fact the fix, I'll be both extremely happy and annoyed that I waited over a year to look at it considering how easy this was.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I noticed that the noise seemed to go away when I pushed the dowel to one side (there is a significant amount of play before it hits the cotter pin),
interesting...I can check this out tomorrow in the daylight to see if this is loose on my end as well. I could wrap some tape around the pin to sort of secure in place as well. Worth a shot, a 2 second fix. I'll report back as well. Thanks

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Today has been a good day; the Jags won, and I think I've solved the clutch buzzing problem. I've only taken it for one test drive, but I think I may have fixed it.

I have ktuner, so I removed the rev limiter when the car is stopped to make it easier to identify the source of the noise. I saw that there is a cotter pin that goes into a dowel that attaches the pedal to the rod that goes into the CMC. I noticed that the noise seemed to go away when I pushed the dowel to one side (there is a significant amount of play before it hits the cotter pin), so I put some adhesive on it to hold it in place. My first test drive has not had any buzzing. I'll report back in a couple days after I test it more and try to take some pictures of what I did if it continues to work.

If this is in fact the fix, I'll be both extremely happy and annoyed that I waited over a year to look at it considering how easy this was.
If you can include pics to show the parts and fix you did, it'd be very helpful too. Thx, and good luck!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you can include pics to show the parts and fix you did, it'd be very helpful too. Thx, and good luck!
I'll provide pics once I know I've fixed it. I drove it more today, and the noise is still there, but seems to be somewhat muted. I'm guessing my crappy adhesive job didn't hold enough. As soon as I get a chance during daylight hours, I'm going to look at it again. I don't feel like pissing off my neighbors early in the morning or late at night holding my car at 5k RPM haha

I'll keep you guys updated.

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So The dealership still has my vehicle since last Wednesday. Though I provided them with the two fixes Windjunkie and Balazst78 had luck with, they said still need to run it through Honda techline to troubleshoot. I was a bit concerned when the master tech working on the car said he was not aware That rotating the piston rod going into the CMC would make any change to the operation of the clutch.
so all I can do is wait for them to work through this rigid system of troubleshooting so they can get paid.

SpooRk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR LE
Country flag
Has anyone taken their car in for this noise and successfully had it fixed yet?? This is frustrating because it seems like several people have the same issue but no one can say what's causing it.

tbobtx

First Name
tbob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apparently 2 people have if go back a few pages.

SpooRk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR LE
Country flag
I took my car out today and did a little testing. I’m not exactly sure at what RPM the sound starts happening, but I can easily recreate it. When you’re stationary, you can only rev the car up to 3,500 RPM. I was able to find an empty road where I accelerated up to about 25 mph and put the car in neutral. At that point, I was able to rev up all the way to redline. I could duplicate the sound almost every time by pressing the clutch. If I didn’t press the clutch, the sound would not happen. This is why I don’t believe the sound we are hearing is from the wastegate.

Speaking of the wastegate, I also finally heard the wastegate chatter that everyone talks about. This particular dealership told me they are aware of the wastegate sound and they are not replacing any of them under warranty because it’s “normal”. I’m not too concerned with that right now, so it’s not a biggie to me. What I am concerned with is the other sound I hear when I press the clutch.

The Honda master tech told me there is a Honda field rep coming by on Monday so he will talk to him about it then. I’m hoping the field rep has heard of this and can advise my dealership on how to deal with it. I’ll let you guys know what I hear on Monday.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
I'll provide pics once I know I've fixed it. I drove it more today, and the noise is still there, but seems to be somewhat muted. I'm guessing my crappy adhesive job didn't hold enough. As soon as I get a chance during daylight hours, I'm going to look at it again. I don't feel like pissing off my neighbors early in the morning or late at night holding my car at 5k RPM haha

I'll keep you guys updated.
any update on your end?

Noseknowsall

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not a techie, but is the Windjunkie/Yexin fix of adjusting the master cylinder mounting bracket on the firewall similar to remc86007 fix of taping the dowel to the rod to the master cylinder?

I took to my dealer, serviceman also said it was normal and was present on a brand new CTR
Sponsored