Buying rims and tires online

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
Hi everyone, with my recently purchased torque wrench, I got to thinking, can I just purchase my next set of tires online and install them myself? Usually I go to a tire shop to get new tires.

If I just need new tires and rims, and not an alignment, can I just order these online and install them myself in my garage? Will online vendors like TireRack sell me rims with the tires already installed and inflated? Thanks.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, Fitment Industries (to name just a few) do that. Basically, they'll ship you tire/wheel packages ready to be installed on your car.

IMO Tire Rack has the best setup. They road force balance, include hubcentric rings and lug nuts and even put on stickers to let you know where to install the wheels if the tires are directional.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do people here generally find buying new wheels online and installing themselves cheaper than getting it all done at a tire shop?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Do people here generally find buying new wheels online and installing themselves cheaper than getting it all done at a tire shop?
Unless you have a machine to balance the tire, I wouldn’t recommend DIYing it. You’ll only end up with a rough ride and eating your tires faster. But if you mount yourself and take it to a shop for balancing then I guess that can save some money

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Jayy... I don't think he was talking about mounting tires on the wheels himself. I think he was asking if buying wheel/tire packages online and installing yourself was cheaper than buying the same setup at a local tire install place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Jayy... I don't think he was talking about mounting tires on the wheels himself. I think he was asking if buying wheel/tire packages online and installing yourself was cheaper than buying the same setup at a local tire install place.
Yes this

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has anyone here actually bought rims with the tires already installed on them, and installed these wheels themselves at home?

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, Fitment Industries (to name just a few) do that. Basically, they'll ship you tire/wheel packages ready to be installed on your car.

IMO Tire Rack has the best setup. They road force balance, include hubcentric rings and lug nuts and even put on stickers to let you know where to install the wheels if the tires are directional.

This is perfect! Looks like it's totally doable at home, thanks for the video!

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
If you use tire rack, rakuten has 3% cashback if you’re a member. I can give you my referral link, or you can just sign up on your own. Not sure if other spots have any offers. But tire rack will either ship to you, or a shop local to you to install. I’m not sure if you have to pay for installation if that happens.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was concerned about balancing the wheels but I see that TireRack will mount and balance the wheels, making them ready to install yourself. This looks totally doable, thanks everyone that responded!

maxlt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I bought my set from fitment industries too. Mounted and balanced. I just had to throw them on and torque them down. Easy.

Deleted member 40377

I've purchased 2 sets of wheels/tires from Tire Rack. Packaged very nicely and was super easy to install. Never had any issues. Will most likely be the way of my next purchase to replace my stock wheels and get a better aggressive tread. Get a good jack and torque wrench and it's super easy.

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
Be aware that Tire Rack might not allow you to order an aggressive set up, because of their algorithm for "correct fitment" per vehicle type. I have ordered from them before, with wheel and tire package that wasn't shown for my vehicle (91 Toyota Supra Turbo), but I did it by speaking directly with a salesman.

OP
OP
conbrio

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Be aware that Tire Rack might not allow you to order an aggressive set up, because of their algorithm for "correct fitment" per vehicle type. I have ordered from them before, with wheel and tire package that wasn't shown for my vehicle (91 Toyota Supra Turbo), but I did it by speaking directly with a salesman.
Good to know. I'm not looking for anything too aggressive, just some winter wheelsets eventually.
Sponsored