Buying civic si

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
Hey, I’m thinking of buying a cheaper civic si to learn manual on and hold me over for 2 years. Would probably only keep two years and buy a brand new car at that time. Not looking to spend that much so I don’t get hit with depreciation when I get rid of it in 2 years. What year/years civic si do you guys recommend? Don’t really have a price maximum yet, just thinking of depreciation and taxes. Thanks!
Sponsored

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, I’m thinking of buying a cheaper civic si to learn manual on and hold me over for 2 years. Would probably only keep two years and buy a brand new car at that time. Not looking to spend that much so I don’t get hit with depreciation when I get rid of it in 2 years. What year/years civic si do you guys recommend? Don’t really have a price maximum yet, just thinking of depreciation and taxes. Thanks!
All civic si seem to hold their value pretty well. I would go for a 2013-2015 if you only want to learn manual and then go for brand new 2 years later. Also old k series are sought after since they hold so much power so if it’s stock you should be able to sell privately pretty easily still in 2/3 years

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You could even get an older 8th gen Si if you're just gonna learn on it and sell it in a couple years. I daily drove a used 05 Acura Tl 6mt for about 4 years before I bought a 2019 Si. Got it for 9K and sold it for 5k.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Consider a used Sport hatch 6mT. Cheap, lot of fun and super easy to learn stick on. Or the sedan Sport if you don't need the turbo.

OP
OP

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
there any good years for the 8th or 9th gen I should look for, or any options I should look for on the car?

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I dont know if your concern is money, or fear of messing up a new car. I learned manual on my new 2019 civic SI and i have not killed it! At first i thought of getting a beater to learn on, but i could not find a beater for a good price that was still safe.

So in the end i got the SI. Before the car, i had learned a little and practiced on a few cars, but once i got the 2019 Si, is when i really started to learn and understand MT driving.

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
My first manual was my 2020 civic si!! currently 550 miles in and I already feel good driving this everywhere in fact going on about an 150 mile road trip soon! The basics are super easy and hill start took me a solid day of learning and it’s easy ever since. Currently learning heel toe/rev matching down shifting which isn’t hard just doing it right all the time takes some time to learn the car and the technique
Just gotta jump into it and know you won’t be a pro the first day! Learning made me enjoy driving more and with some persistence and patience you’ll get there quickly
Honda Civic 10th gen Buying civic si 4D8F04EF-2E9C-4349-8D77-722368AF0835
Honda Civic 10th gen Buying civic si B08C95A9-AB15-4A46-BDED-E9CE04E8D1B8

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same, bought and learned on a brand new 2018 si. You probably want to figure out the max you want to spend first. I already have 37k miles with a tsp tune. Starting to look into a type r.... I think si is keeping its value pretty well all in all.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with used si just because I think I was gonna get a type r eventually anyways and also cheaper in the long run... but seat heaters are kinda a nice so... idk lol. Think on what's important for you. I'm still pretty happy with my si overall. Still get random compliments on the blue every so often lol.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Same, bought and learned on a brand new 2018 si. You probably want to figure out the max you want to spend first. I already have 37k miles with a tsp tune. Starting to look into a type r.... I think si is keeping its value pretty well all in all.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with used si just because I think I was gonna get a type r eventually anyways and also cheaper in the long run... but seat heaters are kinda a nice so... idk lol. Think on what's important for you. I'm still pretty happy with my si overall. Still get random compliments on the blue every so often lol.
Aegean blue was my first pick, but i could not get it in a 2019 by the time i was ready, so ended up with a 2019 white - but it was still on the dealer lot in 2020.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Seems like a lot of effort just to learn clutch. I've said numerous times on here before: I owned a 2002 Civic LX and sold it to a friend of mine in 2014 when I got my Accord. It had 210,000 on it when I sold it to him. He still has it, has not replaced the clutch (yes, that's true) and that's after both his daughters learned how to drive stick on it. The youngest daughter is still driving it to this day.

If that's your only concern, buy the new Si and learn on it. As long as you understand in theory how to drive it and how the clutch/gears function, it's just a matter of practice. IMO, this car is extremely forgiving and easy to drive as far as the clutch is concerned.

OP
OP

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
well there are a few cars I wanted to see that are coming out possibly next year like the new subaru wrx/sti that I had been waiting to see. I recently had my car bought back by ford for class action lawsuit so I am forced to buy something now. Didn't really want to buy a brand new car only to buy another one next year or so. Wouldn't mind just buying something cheaper to learn manual on until these new models come out, believe toyota is coming out with a fast corolla GR soon and VW has the new GTI coming.

OP
OP

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
these older si's I've been seeing are molested to heck with mods or have been in an accident. Easier to find a 2014/2015 but then they are getting a little pricey. I suppose 2014 might be ok since it has push start as well, this year any good or what year would you guys get?
Sponsored