Buying a new 2017 Civic EX-T Coupe. Should I be worried about the CVT?

noelbnetz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know people have their differences about CVT and how its good for fuel economy but somewhat bad when it comes to maintenance prices. I was wondering how the CVT was in the newer Honda models (2015-2017). Are they more reliable nowadays? and when I mean reliable, I mean engine and transmissions issues don't start till 100k miles have at least reached the car. I'm solely buying this car for its fuel economy and also somewhat good power thanks to the turbo. I'd like this car to last me after I get my Bachelors Degree (2-3 more years) and hopefully more. I also drive a lot on the highway if that's a factor helpful in determining its durability and reliability.
What do you guys think and feel about the cvt? Should I pull the trigger on the purchase or should I stay away from CVT's? Thanks.
Sponsored

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I put I think around 60k on the cvt in my 13 accord with no problems, hated the transmission but it did its job and lasted til I traded it. I don't know if many people (or any) already have 100+k on their 16 civics but I personally haven't heard of a failure from an untuned car, and there's plenty of people that can claim to have been running tuned for thousands of miles with no issues. clutch is SO light though you should at least drive the 6mt if traffic and the clutch are your biggest points keeping you from the 6mt, if you just plain don't want the manual then I guess I wouldn't bother.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Don’t be worried. If you do your proper maintenance. It will out last 100k miles. My old 06 Si has over 240k and it’s still running strong and haven’t had to do any major jobs on it.

Last edited:

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag
I have a 2010 Insight that use for Newspaper delivery. I bought it last May with 210k miles. The car currently has 257K. I drive it 110 miles per night, stop and go for 3 hours. In my XP, the CVT's are just as, if not more reliable than Hondas conventional automatics. It is starting to slip here and there. (throttle floored while going uphill). But its been doing that for 6 months..

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I know people have their differences about CVT and how its good for fuel economy but somewhat bad when it comes to maintenance prices. I was wondering how the CVT was in the newer Honda models (2015-2017). Are they more reliable nowadays? and when I mean reliable, I mean engine and transmissions issues don't start till 100k miles have at least reached the car. I'm solely buying this car for its fuel economy and also somewhat good power thanks to the turbo. I'd like this car to last me after I get my Bachelors Degree (2-3 more years) and hopefully more. I also drive a lot on the highway if that's a factor helpful in determining its durability and reliability.
What do you guys think and feel about the cvt? Should I pull the trigger on the purchase or should I stay away from CVT's? Thanks.
I still have my 2007 Civic Hybrid with 225K on it without ne'er a problem.

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
My dealer has a free unlimited powertrain warranty which covers the CVT, so no worries on my part. Maybe a dealer near you offers this nice extra?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer has a free unlimited powertrain warranty which covers the CVT, so no worries on my part. Maybe a dealer near you offers this nice extra?
wow that's pretty generous! I wonder what the fine print says???

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
wow that's pretty generous! I wonder what the fine print says???
My dealer offers that too. Pretty sure the fine print said all maintenance records have to be a receipt/invoice with the shops name printed on it. So you don't have to utilize the dealer but you can't do your own maintenance.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How hard do you drive?
custom tuned so Ive had to do numerous 0-60 runs just to get to where I want to be. that and the occasional spirited run on the back roads of North fort Worth, I don't hard launch any more but I've done it a few times after about 10k, I think I have the most mileage on a tune on the forum and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it's held. that being said, I will never buy a CVT again only because it's undramatic.

edit: only 40,000 miles on the tune, 60,000 over all.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealer offers that too. Pretty sure the fine print said all maintenance records have to be a receipt/invoice with the shops name printed on it. So you don't have to utilize the dealer but you can't do your own maintenance.
definitely going to do some more shopping next time I purchase new.