First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe, 2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2017 Suzuki DRZ400SM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's what I think, the driver wasn't even trying.

Even the almost 30 year old 3.0 E36 M3 is on another level than the 1.5 Civic

Here is a nice performance comparison between those two cars:

https://zeperfs.com/en/duel620-6667.htm
Trust I know about them.. I want an M2 Competition lol.. It was a stock M3 and some young kid that didn't know what he was doing..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
For everyone saying I should’ve got the CTR. I did consider this but I couldn’t fork the extra 10k plus the crazy dealer markup

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
The Si stock is 2800lbs and 205 horses, that should tell you exactly how quick it is out of the box.

The Si is a driver's car first, it isn't meant to be a go fast in a straight line box.(some people want that and that is fine but that is not the Si). Si is a lightweight car with excellent handling, braking, and an excellent shifting experience- think of it more like a larger, more practical(but slightly less fun) FWD Miata than an M3 alternative(Type R is a better comparison to that).

FWD isn't a con, it is a different solution. FWD is lighter weight than RWD or AWD and it has less horsepower lost due to drivetrain than either. The only real drawback to FWD when properly implemented is launch traction.

Take it on some high speed back roads with lots of braking, accelerating, and elevation changes- you will appreciate how well it puts power down accelerating out of a corner and how well it maintains grip in general even with not great stock tires.

It's a great platform. TSP Stage 1 with Ktuner(and remove the rev hang) will really open the car up as well.
If I end up building the civic I’ll be skipping stage 1 and straight to big turbo ha weight to power ratio is nice tho like you said

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
A honda civic feels like a performance downgrade from straight-six rwd sports cars? What next, are you going to tell me the sky is blue? :rolleyes1:
Actually in socal the sky wasnt blue yesterday soo

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
I think that's a perfect summation. If you are expecting more (stock at least) then you are setting yourself up for disapointment.

A lot depends on what you are coming from, so from where the OP started, I can see how he'd be underwhelmed. For me, I was coming from a boring commuter Prius so the S1 sedan is perfect for me. Our other cars are a RAV4 and 94 Miata, so I'm really covering the gamut on driving choices most days. Honestly, convertible aside, I enjoy driving the Civic Si more than the Miata these days. Double the horsepower sure makes a difference. ;)
Well from your POV the SI would be a huge upgrade haha beauty in the eye of the beholder

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
I two stepped and smoked an M3.. probably due to the driver, but none the less.. just have to mod the car correctly.. it's a tuner car.. not an out of the box rocket.. you should have got a Type R and modded it imo.. I got the Si because I enjoy building it.. I'll end up putting more into it than a Type R costs (probably even more than a full bolt on R) but that's what I enjoy.. seems like you're just not Honda Bro.. lol.. to each their own.
Should’ve did some fun rollers w/ my S14 haha 500whp fbo w/ e85 on low boost i am reminiscing already

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
I test drove a few Civics before actually buying one. I think you would have immediately noticed these things, even on a short 30 minutes drive.

Have you thought about trading it in for a CTR? But that's also only FWD, so maybe not the best option either.
Yes I heavily contemplated it but walking into to a stealership the price goes from $40k otd to $50k almost with markups at that price point it’s no longer affordable

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The E36 M3, in the US, made 240 HP stock, retailed around 40k and was a 14 second car in the quarter mile. The Si is about 35 HP behind and 1 second slower for about half that at invoice, I'm guessing somewhere around 22-23K. Just for some perspective on stock for stock, M3s were not horsepower monsters earlier on. The E90 is when it started breaking 400 HP stock.

If you built either of those, a stock FWD car is going to feel like crap compared to them. Not sure how much tuning it with FBOs and a turbo will help, and now you are putting $$$$ into the build to potentially still dislike the performance. IMO I'd also skip that BBK and spacers. You're adding unsprung weight which will negatively affect performance and you're going to upset the balance of the brakes if you just swap the fronts. Fronts and rears will heat up unevenly and you'll have more brake fade.

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
The E36 M3, in the US, made 240 HP stock, retailed around 40k and was a 14 second car in the quarter mile. The Si is about 35 HP behind and 1 second slower for about half that at invoice, I'm guessing somewhere around 22-23K. Just for some perspective on stock for stock, M3s were not horsepower monsters earlier on. The E90 is when it started breaking 400 HP stock.

If you built either of those, a stock FWD car is going to feel like crap compared to them. Not sure how much tuning it with FBOs and a turbo will help, and now you are putting $$$$ into the build to potentially still dislike the performance. IMO I'd also skip that BBK and spacers. You're adding unsprung weight which will negatively affect performance and you're going to upset the balance of the brakes if you just swap the fronts. Fronts and rears will heat up unevenly and you'll have more brake fade.
We’re also talking about an M3 in 90’s (mine was 95’) compared to 2020 where 80% of a car is plastic/fiberglass plus x10 better technology. But I agree w/ you brand new in 1995 the M3 was a $40k car ish in comparison to the SI’s $24k, you get alot for the price point. For the bbk im not too worried about uneven wear or temps, as its a street car

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Got tired of daily driving the Range ($80-$90 full tank) So.... I sold my babies... E36 M3 & S14 RB25 & bought my 2020 FC1 $500 under invoice. 3 weeks into ownership (8miles to 750 now) and I can finally say it feels like a downgrade as it’s underwhelming in alot of aspects such as;

- slow asf otd
- dollar to hrsprs
- lack of “wow” factor while driving it
- fwd

Before ya’ll come at my neck and want to fight me because Im shitting on your beloved 4 banger....

What I love so far;
- $30-$35 full tank/gas saver (mpg avg about 27-30)
- price point for the SI is unbeatable
- front end is sex imo
- aftermarket potential/community is huge

Obviously the pro’s why I bought it, but the cons are really bumming me out.

Parts I have that are yet to be installed;
- BC coilovers
- PRL IC kit
- Stoptech BBK (need big brake power for my 200 hrspsrs)
- 20mm spacers

Plan was to install all the parts this weekend to give it a lil flare but really don’t have the motivation to build it now, maybe ya’ll can help w/ this? ??‍♂

Mods in cart;
- PRL turbo kit
- Ktuner V2
- PRL flex fuel kit
- AWE touring exhaust

Roast me now, persuade me to sell it, trade it, keep it stock or build it

EC0C044F-82FA-4E60-85C8-9F51969C78EF.jpeg

0D2A44C0-4CF9-4B18-97B3-16A69B06E56F.jpeg
I feel you. I have had mine for a little over a year and if I didn't do the mods I did, I can't imagine still driving around in it. I would have gotten very bored very quick. I have thought about trading up to a Type R but have a hard time justifying the cost

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
I feel you. I have had mine for a little over a year and if I didn't do the mods I did, I can't imagine still driving around in it. I would have gotten very bored very quick. I have thought about trading up to a Type R but have a hard time justifying the cost
THIS

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
My buddy is a honda fanatic and he literally enchants “build it” in my ear 24/7 lol, but it was just that time in my life to move on from my toys you feel me
I dont really understand the feelings there but I'm 25 and just getting started on my toys. I'm sure at some point I'll understand better tho. Learning the stages of life gonna be fun.
Fyi you might as well make a clutch the first mod. I traded mine in slipping like crazy for the type R.
Sponsored