Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
I dont really understand the feelings there but I'm 25 and just getting started on my toys. I'm sure at some point I'll understand better tho. Learning the stages of life gonna be fun.
Fyi you might as well make a clutch the first mod. I traded mine in slipping like crazy for the type R.
Im 24 bro ha

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
Biggest buyers remorse or regrets is not knowing about Honda's flaw in their wiring design using soy based wires. I'd recommend getting Honda Rodent Tape installed before it is too late.
10th gens notorious for rodent damage? Also does warranty etc cover any of this?

S7N57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Country flag
Honestly if you're not feeling it now no matter what you do to it you won't be happy. Save your time and money for something else. Personally even though I don't own one myself for what you get I think the Civic SI is an incredible car for it's value and sexy as hell.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes 100%
I didn't know how to drive a manual so the first 3 months were a blast.

After that I've wanted it to sell it, but there's nothing on the market that aspires me to actually trade it in. Let's hope the 22 BRZ is amazing.

I agree with everyone else. Full bolt on and tune it. (I am not because I bought the extended warranty)

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Should of bought type r
Might have bought if it wasn't for the heavy dealer markup. Could have gotten the SI but a like the look of the hatch. I'd also need to learn how to properly shift since I never driven manual before. Is the Type R not using soy material for the wires?

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every car is probably using soy or something similar for the wires, going back years. My coworker's GLI back in the 2000s had the same issue. Googling it shows it happening on all sorts of different cars starting around the 2000s.

Some might have better deterrents allowing the biodegradable materials to escape animals' appetite but you're probably going to have a hard time finding a new car that's got normal plastic coated wires.

si@vegas

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a very close to stock 2019 Si, had multiple RWD 6 cyl cars previously (including a supercharged AE86 & rb25 s13 over a decade ago). I got the civic bec. it's practical, but still somewhat fun from the research I've done. Although after a year, i started looking for a different car. I had the same feeling as you, a bit underwhelmed, unsatisfied. The car has no character/soul.

I was going to sell the car to carvana last October, and fork out more money for a BMW M240i. BUT, my nephew wanted to try driving at a track day (speed ventures) and got me to join him with the si. The car was stock except for tires (wider, but still all seasons) and front brake pads (Powerstop track day pads) and Motul fluid.

The car is so much fun to throw around in corners at the track (Streets of Willow in socal). After the event, I changed my mind about the car, and decided to keep it. I have since put whiteline springs and rear swaybar and attended another track day last month(shaved over 2 seconds off my lap time from the previous month).

It does have its shortcomings, but for an "econobox" civic, it also has a lot going for it. I no longer look at other cars and am content with the si. All it took was a day at a race track. (and more track days to come!)

JT

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
The wild thing about cars is that preferences for what you enjoy out of one can be all over the place. That’s what makes the car community so cool.

I came back to Honda from the BMW world. I owned a 128i M Sport that on paper should have been one of the most desirable enthusiast BMWs out there. Naturally aspirated straight 6, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, M Sport package, no sunroof, manual seats. Basically the last old school BMW that you could get. That car never once made me really happy driving it. The E8X/E9X chassis’s fell in a weird era for BMW where they straddled between old school and new school. The suspension on that car was a mess from the factory and a huge money pit to get it into anything competent performance wise (that’s why the 1M basically stole every M3 suspension part). After owning it for 2 and a half years and modding a large portion of the suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc... I finally sold it and ended up back in the friendly confines of a Honda. And to prove even further how car tastes can differ wildly, I went with a Sport model coupe and not even an SI!

For the OP, if you’re truly not happy with the car I would be careful how much you chase trying to build it into something you think you want. That can be a money pit in and of itself. You bought the car new so trading it back in is going to be a big financial hit also. It’s a tough spot to be in but maybe just drive the car for a bit and get some worth out of your purchase and then trade in a couple years from now for something you want. Ultimately though, you only get one time through this life so if you have the finical ability to make a swap it may be worth it if you’re truly not enjoying the car.

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
Probably yes because of the soy. Honda does not cover this. It is not under warranty. Source: I am a victim of rodent damage.
wtf
I have a very close to stock 2019 Si, had multiple RWD 6 cyl cars previously (including a supercharged AE86 & rb25 s13 over a decade ago). I got the civic bec. it's practical, but still somewhat fun from the research I've done. Although after a year, i started looking for a different car. I had the same feeling as you, a bit underwhelmed, unsatisfied. The car has no character/soul.

I was going to sell the car to carvana last October, and fork out more money for a BMW M240i. BUT, my nephew wanted to try driving at a track day (speed ventures) and got me to join him with the si. The car was stock except for tires (wider, but still all seasons) and front brake pads (Powerstop track day pads) and Motul fluid.

The car is so much fun to throw around in corners at the track (Streets of Willow in socal). After the event, I changed my mind about the car, and decided to keep it. I have since put whiteline springs and rear swaybar and attended another track day last month(shaved over 2 seconds off my lap time from the previous month).

It does have its shortcomings, but for an "econobox" civic, it also has a lot going for it. I no longer look at other cars and am content with the si. All it took was a day at a race track. (and more track days to come!)

JT
I felt this

OP
OP
Cuhris

Cuhris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si (FC1)
Country flag
The wild thing about cars is that preferences for what you enjoy out of one can be all over the place. That’s what makes the car community so cool.

I came back to Honda from the BMW world. I owned a 128i M Sport that on paper should have been one of the most desirable enthusiast BMWs out there. Naturally aspirated straight 6, manual transmission, hydraulic steering, M Sport package, no sunroof, manual seats. Basically the last old school BMW that you could get. That car never once made me really happy driving it. The E8X/E9X chassis’s fell in a weird era for BMW where they straddled between old school and new school. The suspension on that car was a mess from the factory and a huge money pit to get it into anything competent performance wise (that’s why the 1M basically stole every M3 suspension part). After owning it for 2 and a half years and modding a large portion of the suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc... I finally sold it and ended up back in the friendly confines of a Honda. And to prove even further how car tastes can differ wildly, I went with a Sport model coupe and not even an SI!

For the OP, if you’re truly not happy with the car I would be careful how much you chase trying to build it into something you think you want. That can be a money pit in and of itself. You bought the car new so trading it back in is going to be a big financial hit also. It’s a tough spot to be in but maybe just drive the car for a bit and get some worth out of your purchase and then trade in a couple years from now for something you want. Ultimately though, you only get one time through this life so if you have the finical ability to make a swap it may be worth it if you’re truly not enjoying the car.
Appreciate the first hand view, after reading all these comments believe it or not im still torn on my next step

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah my next car won't be a Honda next time. Almost the entire wiring insulation harness that I can see is chewed off. Had it have been a different material, there would have been much less chewing and the wires could've still been intact. Do not buy from any other maker using soy. If you do, get some rodent deterrent tape or fox or coyote urine or rodent deterrent spray. These things are not covered by warranty and you'll be screwed over with a huge expensive bill. I got hit pretty big but I'm sure others got hit even worse than me.

liquidbluesi

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Appreciate the first hand view, after reading all these comments believe it or not im still torn on my next step
Get rid of it. You will never be happy with it no matter what you do to it.
Sponsored