Buyer's Guide: Should I Buy an Si or Type R?

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
As you can see, there are lots of unknowns about each car. There are videos from across the pond where people say the current R is a bit too much for DD and some are saying that while its good for short distance, its not a car you could take a few hundred miles. I fully anticipate the next R to be the same, aka "Honda's race car for he road".

I will wait at least a year after launch to consider either. I'm getting out of my VW TDI and into an 8th gen Si to see how things settle out.

At this point in time, there are still too many unknowns to make an educated decision on what to do between the Si and the R.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
As you can see, there are lots of unknowns about each car. There are videos from across the pond where people say the current R is a bit too much for DD and some are saying that while its good for short distance, its not a car you could take a few hundred miles. I fully anticipate the next R to be the same, aka "Honda's race car for he road".

I will wait at least a year after launch to consider either. I'm getting out of my VW TDI and into an 8th gen Si to see how things settle out.

At this point in time, there are still too many unknowns to make an educated decision on what to do between the Si and the R.
See I think that's why I'm comfortable going all-in for the TypeR. I've driven modified suspensions and/or modified drivetrains for the last 15-16 years and not always with terribly high-end parts so I have to think that even the harshest factory setting/setup will be better than, for example, a 99 Si on Sprint Springs and KGB agx. My current 09 Si is on HFP which I found to be better than stock, but still not as stiff as H&R Sports. I recall reading a review of the TLX and the writer suggested the suspension was too firm/harsh whatever yet I found it athletic but far to forgiving for my taste.
Anyway, I think for those of us who are used to modified suspensions and such, we will find the TypeR to be just about right. I actually worry it will be too 'street friendly' for my personal preference!

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
See I think that's why I'm comfortable going all-in for the TypeR. I've driven modified suspensions and/or modified drivetrains for the last 15-16 years and not always with terribly high-end parts so I have to think that even the harshest factory setting/setup will be better than, for example, a 99 Si on Sprint Springs and KGB agx. My current 09 Si is on HFP which I found to be better than stock, but still not as stiff as H&R Sports. I recall reading a review of the TLX and the writer suggested the suspension was too firm/harsh whatever yet I found it athletic but far to forgiving for my taste.
Anyway, I think for those of us who are used to modified suspensions and such, we will find the TypeR to be just about right. I actually worry it will be too 'street friendly' for my personal preference!
I think there's really two levels in this area. And it defines the difference between "sport" and "performance."

Sport is the SI, GTI, etc. It's a firmer suspensions to give more of a connection to the road. It's by no means "track ready" or "top of the line." It's meant to give the driver more of a feel of the road for some spirited driving, while being comfortable enough for daily drives and trips. Modified suspension as you spoke about is on a different level. Golf-R, STI, CTR etc. are all going to be on this level. I really think this level of car is only really usable in Autox / track days+. I can't imagine many back roads (specially in PA/NJ area where I am) that you'll be able to push the car to the point where this will be limiting factor.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think there's really two levels in this area. And it defines the difference between "sport" and "performance."

Sport is the SI, GTI, etc. It's a firmer suspensions to give more of a connection to the road. It's by no means "track ready" or "top of the line." It's meant to give the driver more of a feel of the road for some spirited driving, while being comfortable enough for daily drives and trips. Modified suspension as you spoke about is on a different level. Golf-R, STI, CTR etc. are all going to be on this level. I really think this level of car is only really usable in Autox / track days+. I can't imagine many back roads (specially in PA/NJ area where I am) that you'll be able to push the car to the point where this will be limiting factor.
Agreed. The tires and/or visibility (around curves) will probably always limit the car from what is possible.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I'm getting out of my VW TDI and into an 8th gen Si to see how things settle out.
Make sure you get a CAI if possible and a flashpro. The 8th is an absolute blast to drive with them done.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the HFP suspension on my '06 Si was a really good set up. The stock set up felt "floaty" at high speeds with a bit too much squat & dive under hard acelleration or braking for my liking. I had Ground Control coilovers with Tokico Illumina shocks on my '00 Si & it was pretty damn firm (fine for me as a 25 year old punk, but not my current 42 year old ass.) My hope is that the "comfort" setting on the CTR is on par with the HFP set up. That was just about perfect for DD duties & road trips with passengers. The smart move would be to wait a year & evaluate with more Si & CTR evaluations/reviews, but I really can't wait any longer. I'm going all in on the CTR, especially since we also have an Outback in the garage for trips & such.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Make sure you get a CAI if possible and a flashpro. The 8th is an absolute blast to drive with them done.
Header too if you can. I dyno'd 203 with just the header in place on gasoline. I went to 215 with CAI and catback (catless header) on gas and 227 on E85.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Irregardless of the suspension settings if it had 20 or 19 inch rims with low profiles the ride will be pretty harsh and jarring if you have to drive on rougher roads with potholes and bumps. Michigan roads aren't the greatest.

If possible to fit over the CTRs massive brakes, I will probably drop down to some 18 inch wheels and get some Michelin pilots sports to improve ride quality and grip.

It won't be my daily so if it is harsh I don't plan on taking it across the country.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
-and for the reasons mentioned, I will not buy the caR as a DD car. It will be a track/sunny day car for me. When an engineering company creates a car and calls it 'a race car for the road', I don't consider that a marketing ploy, especially when they build another fun car that offers DD attributes. I think there is a significant difference between a crappy suspension thats harsh and a great, harsh suspension. Not to mention, I think the R will be a car that wants to play, not drive normally.

BTW, I just realized this thread is super old. It is a good thing to bump back up, now that there are a few confirmed points about the Si and the R.

With regard to the flash pro and IHE, I will probably eventually do that. The Si is a great H street car on the local level and where I plan to play next year. With a flash, it jumps classes.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With regard to the flash pro and IHE, I will probably eventually do that. The Si is a great H street car on the local level and where I plan to play next year. With a flash, it jumps classes.
Indeed it does. I'd recommend the flash even on stock everything - just to defeat the rev-hang!!! You could unflash for autox- just an idea.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
I'll probably spring for the R for my DD until my Tesla order gets built out. Whatever will get me out of my current '14 Si the soonest.
Sponsored