Buy now or wait for 2022s

happycamper515

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Country flag
Would it be a gamble to wait for the 2022 Civic Sport and hope it comes with a manual transmission? I do like the renderings of the back of the 2022 better and don't need a car until next summer. But it's been difficult to even find MT on the 2020s and dealers have a few coming in November.
Sponsored

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
From what I've heard, the only model keeping the manual is the hatchback. The regular sedan won't have a manual.

OP
OP

happycamper515

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Country flag
If that is the case then I think I better buy now because I want a MT Sport Sedan plus I want the 2.0 non turbo motor.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Out of curiosity, why do you want the N/A 2.0?

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Smoother power band and a decade or more of reliability. Turbos are common place today but still don't have the established reliability over time that Honda's non turbo motors do.
Can't argue with that. I enjoy the pull of my turbo, but I am always concerned about the longevity of the motor.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Never buy the first year of a new generation Civic (or any car for that matter).

The worst year for the last 4 generations of Civic ?
2001, 2006, 2012, 2016. All the first year of the generation.
Worst years for the Civic.

You would sacrifice the features of the 11th gen, but you would likely get a more solid car getting a 2021 model next summer (and probably a good discount as well).

kaputt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Accord 5MT; 2020 Civic Sport Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Get that NA 2.0L with a manual while you can!! Honda probably won’t be making any more naturally aspirated motors with manuals after this.

I am loving my Sport coupe. The last of old school Honda.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Never buy the first year of a new generation Civic (or any car for that matter).

The worst year for the last 4 generations of Civic ?
2001, 2006, 2012, 2016. All the first year of the generation.
Worst years for the Civic.

You would sacrifice the features of the 11th gen, but you would likely get a more solid car getting a 2021 model next summer (and probably a good discount as well).
You’re not serious, right?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Just something to keep in mind that if Honda is limiting the manual transmissions to the hatchback for 2022, just because they say they are doing it doesn’t mean you can find one, as you also mention even finding a current car is difficult.

I bring this up because last year I wanted to get an Accord Sport with the manual transmission that all the reviews were talking about and in November of 2019 in the whole state of Massachusetts there were only 2 red Accord Sports with a manual transmission. I was looking for a white one. I was really surprised since the MT Accord Sport was the model everyone was talking about and you could barely find it.

Think of it this way, you could get a Type R? Haha!

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Smoother power band and a decade or more of reliability. Turbos are common place today but still don't have the established reliability over time that Honda's non turbo motors do.
I hear this a lot about the long-term reliability of turbo engines, but I don't buy it. Water-cooled turbos have been in use for 30 years and have pretty much been perfected at this point. You really don't hear about widespread issues related to turbo failures, aside from those who are tuning or upgrading. Yes, turbos add a bit more complexity to the engine bay, so a few more parts that can go bad, but usually those parts are fairly easy to replace/repair. I'd gladly have a turbo that I might need to replace at 150K miles for $1000 than have the non-turbo option (at least in an economy car where the NA option is likely way underpowered). The fuel-economy and power that I get from my Si never ceases to amaze me. Plenty quick for a daily driver and I can still get 40+ mpg highway.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
You’re not serious, right?
I will never buy another first year of a new gen vehicle. They almost always have issues that take at least 1-2 years to iron out.

My advice... buy a 2020, and let the 11th gen mature before purchasing one.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I hear this a lot about the long-term reliability of turbo engines, but I don't buy it. Water-cooled turbos have been in use for 30 years and have pretty much been perfected at this point. You really don't hear about widespread issues related to turbo failures, aside from those who are tuning or upgrading. Yes, turbos add a bit more complexity to the engine bay, so a few more parts that can go bad, but usually those parts are fairly easy to replace/repair. I'd gladly have a turbo that I might need to replace at 150K miles for $1000 than have the non-turbo option (at least in an economy car where the NA option is likely way underpowered). The fuel-economy and power that I get from my Si never ceases to amaze me. Plenty quick for a daily driver and I can still get 40+ mpg highway.
This is true once they went with water cooled and intercooler turbo charged engines they do last longer my Jetta TDI had 200k on it when I sold it and the turbo still had good pressure unlike the late seventies turbocharged Buick Regal with air cooled turbos that didn’t last pass 60K
Sponsored