Bumpy Ride 2018 Si

melecioSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone have about 800 miles on my new Si and ive been noticing that i feel everysingle bump/deformity on the road. I didn’t notice it at first but now as I pay more attention I feel it more and more. Not sure if it’s because of the cold weather, as I live in chicago and were getting below 30 degrees with snow. Anyone with similar problems? is this normal or something I should look into?
Sponsored

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
It's pretty normal. For performance handling, typically comes at the cost of a smooth ride.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Like vooduuchild said. But I would check the tire inflation for proper pressure.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Make sure the sport mode is off for a less harsh ride (not much less)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey everyone have about 800 miles on my new Si and ive been noticing that i feel everysingle bump/deformity on the road. I didn’t notice it at first but now as I pay more attention I feel it more and more. Not sure if it’s because of the cold weather, as I live in chicago and were getting below 30 degrees with snow. Anyone with similar problems? is this normal or something I should look into?
You have opened Pandora's Box !! :doh:

The stock Si is a bumpy ride... but I feel sure there must be things that one can do to improve this.

In your case, with only 800 miles .. there are a few things to check.
#1 being tire pressure.

When the car is shipped to the dealer, Honda tend to over inflate the tires before shipment.
This is to help with the stability of the car during shipment, when it is tied down to the transporter.

When the Dealer receives the car, they are meant to do a Receiving Inspection, as well as a Sale inspection, and one of the things during that inspection, is to set the tires to the correct inflation. Maybe they missed that. ? Over inflated tires will give a more bumpy ride!!

Because the SI has an inherently "Bumpy ride", "SOME" dealers will intentionally reduce the tire inflation from the recommended, so that the car appears to have a softer ride when being test driven !! SO tire may also be under inflated. (also not good !)

As the temperature gets COLDER ( winter is "almost" here... or is here), the tire pressure decreases. So once again, your car's tires may not be at the recommended pressure.

Bottom line: CHECK and ADJUST TIRE Pressure.

Note: Honda Si tires are filled with Nitrogen, not just plain "Air". You should really aim to keep it that way, and not inflate the tires with AIR. Inflate them with Nitrogen-- which most likely means, at the Dealer, or a tire service station.
Note: COSCO will top up your tires with Nitrogen, for FREE.
So "SHOULD" you dealer. Other Independent tire service station may well charge.

So, once at the correct pressure - re-evaluate the ride.

If it is still too bumpy for you, then you can work on a improving the bumpiness of the ride, but it will typically be at the expense of Performance.

ie Different Tires ... smaller rim size, with tires with deeper side wall.

I assume you have 18" rims. If you have the "Performance" 19" rims with the really low profile tires, then your ride will be even more bumpy.!!

No matter if you have 18 or 19" rims, in winter, especially in the snow, there is an advantage of switching out those high performance (wide) "all season" tires, to WINTER TIRES..( on a maximum of 18" rims.)
Narrower tires will bite into the snow better than wide tires that will tend to ride on the surface of the snow, and hence not give as much traction.

It is a complex subject, with lots of variables, and compromises.

Read what other have said about all this in the forum... many are very knowledgeable... I am new to this myself, so don't take what I say as 100% correct.

=======
I am in the same situation as you -- I want a smoother ride... and am willing to sacrifice some of the SI's design performance, to achieve that smoother ride.

My understanding is that I can achieve this by running tires with a deeper side wall .. ie not the LOW Profile Performance tires.

To achieve this, I may be able to decrease the rim size to 17", and to also increase the overall wheel diameter "slightly", all of which will allow for a deeper side wall.
By doing so, I will decrease BOTH Bumpiness of the ride, as well as performance .. It's a Compromise -- but one I am willing to take .. especially in the Winter.

Unfortunately, SELECTING which new wheel, and which tire is the BIGGEST PROBLEM.
So many choices: differing wheel design/weight/performance/strength/offset etc etc, and so may different tires, even the same SIZE tire can give differing rides between manufacturers and types.

The other difficulty, is not being able to try out your selection. before you commit and buy-- especially if you are buying ONLINE. ( do not want to make a $1000 - $2000 mistake and get it wrong)

We have had our Si for over 6 months now, and from day 1 I have been looking into changing the wheels/tires to achieve a better (less bumpy) ride ... and am still trying to get it figured out. ( and now Winter is here !!).

So I wish you good luck -- at least, for me, this is not being easy to get sorted.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Make sure the sport mode is off for a less harsh ride (not much less)
One other thing you may also notice -- if you are in the passenger seat, the ride "appears" to be far more bumpy, that if you are driving.

Maybe because you have the steering wheel to hold onto,, or maybe because you are having so much FUN driving the car, and are "at one with the car", that you do not notice the bumps so much !!! :drive:

(Then again, it may just be my wife's driving !!! :rofl::rofl:)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
One other thing you may also notice -- if you are in the passenger seat, the ride "appears" to be far more bumpy, that if you are driving.

Maybe because you have the steering wheel to hold onto,, or maybe because you are having so much FUN driving the car, and are "at one with the car", that you do not notice the bumps so much !!! :drive:

(Then again, it may just be my wife's driving !!! :rofl::rofl:)
Yes, being the passenger always seems more intense. Lol

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Wait until you ride one with coilovers or a Type-R with the 20" wheels and stiffer suspension. The Si will feel far less bumpy lol.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait until you ride one with coilovers or a Type-R with the 20" wheels and stiffer suspension. The Si will feel far less bumpy lol.
If there is the option to fit Coilovers, that will make the suspension stiffer, is there a corresponding option to reduce the stiffness ? ( ie Coilunders ?? :dunno:)

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know what you mean. Every bump in the road translates through the pedals into you're feet. Even these simple tar patches. Ah well, I chalk it up to being more connected with the road :)
Honda Civic 10th gen Bumpy Ride 2018 Si now-5a545275-9a27-436e-b64f-3cc12beb4119-1210-680

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
If there is the option to fit Coilovers, that will make the suspension stiffer, is there a corresponding option to reduce the stiffness ? ( ie Coilunders ?? :dunno:)
Lol maybe dropping down to 17" wheels instead. I know that makes a pretty big difference on my IS300 with coilovers. Especially with the 17" snow tires I run for the winter. It's like riding on a cloud in comparison.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i havent felt that this car is particularly more harsh than previous gen si's. maybe in sport mode it can be a little jarring but if you plan on putting lowering springs on it will be worse.

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
Hey! I'm from IL as well, located out in Naperville. I know the dealership I got the car from over inflated the tries (and also didn't do the tpms calibration :doh:). Letting some of the air out helped along with driving in regular mode helped. I think the majority of the problem is that our roads are shitty.
Sponsored