Bumper issue..

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Accord -> '16 WOP Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello guys! I noticed on my passenger's bumper side is uneven. My buddy said normally in this case, you could just push onto the bumper and it should fall back into place. Tried to push it back into place but it does not work. I just had a clear bra installed on the bumper and the installer said he couldn't do anything to fix the problem either. The installer things a bolt is loose on that side. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Going to take the car into the dealership sometime next week to have them look at it.

Heres a gfycat of the uneven-ness.

Edit #1; I'll post another gfycat with flash on and more angles.

https://gfycat.com/TestyGiddyAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam

Edit #2; https://gfycat.com/BothRashGannet

Edit #3; if its anything, I did change the fog lights. Could that be the reason why?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Our driver's side is almost that far out and we haven't done a thing. Suspect there's a fastener somewhere hard to reach that could be loosened and the bumper skin adjusted. Haven't pursued it.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
You probably didn't put everything back together properly (ie. bumper tabs misaligned when you put them back).

I'd take it off and redo it, being careful. Those tabs break quite easily.

OP
OP
cbreezy

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Ultrafrozen it could be that we misaligned one side.

@dick w that bump does not bother you? It's an eye sore to me.

@inv4zn Thats what I'm thinking too and hope it is. I'll see if I can go to a friends house today to have it looked at.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@dick w that bump does not bother you? It's an eye sore to me.
Only when I look at it as a bump. The aesthetic distance on it is about two feet. I hadn't noticed it until I waxed the car one month in.

OP
OP
cbreezy

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only when I look at it as a bump. The aesthetic distance on it is about two feet. I hadn't noticed it until I waxed the car one month in.
Luckily I took photos of my car when I picked it up. I was looking through it and the bumper was like that when I picked up the car. Going to take it into the dealership in the following week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bumper issue.. kal1XSs

OP
OP
cbreezy

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Went to the dealership and they had bumper aligned again within minutes. They said that the latch was loose so thats why my bumper was misaligned. Hopefully yours is the same issue and an easy fix as well @dick w

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Went to the dealership and they had bumper aligned again within minutes. They said that the latch was loose so thats why my bumper was misaligned. Hopefully yours is the same issue and an easy fix as well @dick w
Thanks for the update. If it was that simple, I'll add it to my warranty issues list.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully yours is the same issue and an easy fix as well @dick w
Try #1 at getting this fixed failed. They wrote it up as a minor misalignment and that the bumper has nothing to retain it in this position anyway and told me the only way to fix it is to replace the bumper. When I showed them the fog light installation instructions that show four retaining tabs in this one stretch and pointed out that every other Civic on their lot (15 or so) was aligned, both sides, as good as my right side, and that the right side wouldn't move to the touch and the left would, they agreed to take it apart and look at it the next time it's in. The guy I was talking to did express a concern that taking it apart ran the risk of breaking something--yeah, I share concern about that risk.

It will probably be a couple of weeks to get the parts they had to order for things they couldn't do today and getting back in the appointment queue. They had to order the "sheet" for the rain sensing wipers that don't and a drivers door run channel since mine has a molding defect/tear. On the fourth item, our paired phones occasionally failing to connect until the radio is rebooted and Bluetooth/iPod music stuttering occasionally, they said that the mechanic's phone paired fine and no updates were available. I asked them to check and see if TSB 16-022 was relevant. Magic Word Bingo! Suddenly an update was available after all. And so it goes.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@cbreezy Hey man I had the same exact issue on my car. I just went to my dealership for my first (complimentary) oil change and I mentioned it to them, as well as another misalignment issue on my center console, and they fixed it for me while they were changing the oil. They said that one of the clips that holds the bumper on wasn't secured properly. It's nothing major to worry about and it was simple enough for them to fix.

Warren803

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow, I have the exact same issue that I noticed about a month ago. Just searched the forum and low and behold there is a thread with this exact issue. I'll ask them to take a look at it during my first oil change. Hopefully they resolve it like they did for most of you guys and don't give me an excuse like they did for dick w.

It's definitely and eyesore to me.

OP
OP
cbreezy

cbreezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Warren803 glad you got it fixed! Mine is fixed but the bumper comes out once in awhile. A simple push onto it fixes the problem. Better than nothing I suppose.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try #2 they also punted. Not sure they took anything apart. They said that all the clips and retaining tabs are in position, so only fix would be to replace bumper cover. (I inferred from this that their supposition is that the bumper cover is mis-molded somehow. Though I also wonder if this could be a tolerance stack-up issue.) They offered to let me meet with their Honda rep this coming Thursday, if I want to try to get them to approve replacing the cover. I'm not really eager to get that far into it. Better is the arch-enemy of good enough. Besides, it will be in the body shop anyway on Thursday. (Somebody left it with an epic-ally large door ding--down to bare metal--several weeks back. Sigh.) So, I think I'm going to have to learn to live with it.

Warren803

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
@Warren803 glad you got it fixed! Mine is fixed but the bumper comes out once in awhile. A simple push onto it fixes the problem. Better than nothing I suppose.
That doesn't sound fixed to me. That's the current problem I have. I can push it back in, but it always pops back out after a while of driving around.

@cbreezy Hey man I had the same exact issue on my car. I just went to my dealership for my first (complimentary) oil change and I mentioned it to them, as well as another misalignment issue on my center console, and they fixed it for me while they were changing the oil. They said that one of the clips that holds the bumper on wasn't secured properly. It's nothing major to worry about and it was simple enough for them to fix.
Have you noticed if yours is fixed permanently indexcow? Did it pop back out after driving around for a while after they fixed it?
Sponsored