Built in Navigation versus built in phone app limitations?

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I forgot to mention perhaps the only thing the built in navigation can do that isn't possibly with any other means: dead reckoning. The car's built in nav can accurately track your location, even in a tunnel, when there is no GPS signal.
Sponsored

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
I don't know... I kinda enjoy driving south on I-75 in Dayton, Ohio and watching my GPS get confused because the road was moved a good 2 years ago. It has me jumping off the highway onto roads trying to find my way back onto the highway. It goes to the right of the highway. it goes to the left of the highway. And for a short while, it has me swimming in the river. It's like a GPS comedy movie for those couple of miles. Who wouldn't love that?

Once I had WAZE on at the same time on my phone. I'm pretty sure I heard my phone, under its breath, mocking and taunting the poor built-in navigation on my car.
Dayton eh? I know that spot well lol

ahiguero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Honda Civic EX-L With Navigation
as an iphone user, the main difference that i see between the apple maps and the built in navigation can be experienced when there is traffic on and you have already selected the route. Garmin will suggest alternate routes better than the apple maps. If there is traffic before you select your destination with apple maps then it can suggest alternate routes. Also when you need to take an exit apple maps will not display lane information and or how the exit looks like.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
You can save offline maps in google maps, FYI. I have used it many times with my old Nexus 5 without a sim card. It updates the map too when you are connected via. wifi. Since the phone also has GPS built in I just use that instead of my regular phone via. android auto.

For me, the painful part is hooking up the phone, leave it on the dash so it can pick up the satellite signal..etc. But between that and spending another 1000 for the nav system I decided it wasn't worth it.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Just an update - I travel the state for work and rely heavily on GPS mapping. Aside from the infotainment related issues, using Google maps has been a flawless transition in the 2600 miles I have put on the car so far. The only time I have ever gotten my Garmin out was to find a chick-fil-a on the way home, since to my knowledge google maps doesn't find points of interest "along route" (yet). Completely happy with it, and it will only get better with updates.

Edit - My only other complaint is that there is NO option to punch in a destination by hand, even when parked. It gets pretty frustrating when the thing doesn't understand the road name or address and having to say it 200 times, or like I have had to do twice.....unplug the phone, enter it on the phone by hand, plug it back in and wait. Hopefully this annoyance will be solved in a future update too.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I too am thinking of getting a car without Navigation - always had one and like it. Instead of using the phone is getting a stand alone GPS Garmin for the car a good idea ? I think I will go with factory navigation because it is there. But would love to hear from others.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
In the mobile world, Apple is going to win this standard hands down.
I did some direct comparisons between Apple Maps (Carplay) and Waze when I first got the new car. Apple Maps is surely worlds better than it was when it first launched, but it still falls far short of Waze's routing and traffic avoidance. If you live in a city especially, that is a killer must-have feature that I can no longer live without. Until Apple Maps gets a whole lot better at it, or until they allow Waze into Carplay, I'll be sticking with my phone screen for nav indefinitely.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
is WAZE a free app ?
Sure is. Originally a small startup, and bought out by Google a couple years ago. Google Maps now shares Waze's crowdsourced traffic data too, but Waze is still better and quicker at updating to changing conditions, plus I like the interface better. Basically Waze is geared specifically for driving, while Google Maps is more general purpose, including walking, biking, transit.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Well said, whaaaaa. Waze is indeed quicker than google maps for picking up sudden traffic changes... and in terms of modern technology, it seems eons ahead of the built in navigation, which is never up to date enough on my ever and quickly changing route regarding traffic.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I did some direct comparisons between Apple Maps (Carplay) and Waze when I first got the new car. Apple Maps is surely worlds better than it was when it first launched, but it still falls far short of Waze's routing and traffic avoidance. If you live in a city especially, that is a killer must-have feature that I can no longer live without. Until Apple Maps gets a whole lot better at it, or until they allow Waze into Carplay, I'll be sticking with my phone screen for nav indefinitely.
The blessing and curse with Waze is that it's entirely dependent on the user base. In areas like mine it's fantastic. When traveling across the MidWest, even in semi-busy areas, not so much.

Waze isn't available anywhere except through AppRadio. Google's long term strategy is to incorporate some elements of Waze's reporting into its own Maps application (it already imports high volume reports from Waze).

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The blessing and curse with Waze is that it's entirely dependent on the user base. In areas like mine it's fantastic. When traveling across the MidWest, even in semi-busy areas, not so much.

Waze isn't available anywhere except through AppRadio. Google's long term strategy is to incorporate some elements of Waze's reporting into its own Maps application (it already imports high volume reports from Waze).
Very true, the more people using it the better it works, which is why it's fantastic in cities. It'd be sleek to be able to get it onto the car's display, but I don't really mind keeping it on my phone, mounted to an air vent. Phone screen is smaller than the car's display, but it's big enough and much higher quality too. Plus it frees up the car display for whatever else like music of fuel economy.
Sponsored