Built in Navigation versus built in phone app limitations?

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
Read 2 articles that suggested integrated Nav systems are going away completely in a few years, but I imagine companies like Garmin work very hard to keep the quality of their products significantly better than free phone apps as well as building in tech that makes their use much more seamless in integrated car infotainment systems.

However, I haven't heard much in the way of specific feedback about this other than "I love it" versus how and why it's better than the phone apps (other than driving outside of data coverage areas).

For instance: Does Carplay & Android Auto run navigation with all sources of music/information at the same time or are there limitations? Any other limitations?
Example: If I use the Carplay app for navigation am I then restricted to only using audio sources directly from my phone (e.g., no simultaneous use of AM/FM, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, etc.)? Is it more of just a learning curve with the Carplay and Android Auto or did Garmin design their product to integrate and provide such a value that there is no real comparison?

I ask because I've read posts from people who opted for the EX-L with the Navigation as opposed to the Honda Sensing or neither. I'd like to understand the value of the Integrated Nav that caused folks to spend roughly $1000 extra for a Navigation system (in lieu of Honda Sensing), knowing fully that their phones have built in navigation apps that will get better year after year that work with their cars infotainment system.

I realize built in Navigation systems have always been very expensive (especially in past years), and $1000 seems like a very low price compared to what other Manufacturers offer for comparable products.
I'm assuming the people who made the choice to buy the Navigation systems separately had some very good reasons based off past experience, research, etc? It's just that much better and worth the money, correct?

If possible I'd really like to hear why that is from people who have the EX-L Nav and/or touring. I'm hoping it's more than just the current generation of available Carplay and Android Auto navigation applications are still just not as good as they could be.

Cost of the Garmin updates post year 5 are around $100-150 annually. Car phone Nav apps should continue to get better, along with data coverage, and are usually free. How are companies like Garmin expecting to get consumers to pay for these annual map updates?
Sponsored

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
There is very little that the built in unit can do that a good phone setup couldn't. It has the ability to lower the audio, regardless of source, to read directions. It displays directions in your instrument cluster. You can't forget it at home or in another car. And perhaps most importantly for me, the maps are available even without cell service. Other than that, a phone will give you better traffic, routes, notice of police or hazards, and is completely free assuming you already have a phone and mount.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Vs. current Android Auto/CarPlay, you don't have to take it out of your pocket and plug it in.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And perhaps most importantly for me, the maps are available even without cell service.
This it the main reason I like having a non-cell phone GPS. In the previous car we kept a standalone around. While Google maps is great about caching the maps in case you lose cell coverage, it doesn't help much if you miss and turn and it needs to reroute. If we didn't get a touring I might not have paid for the NAV, but I would have at least kept the standalone in that huge center console.

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox
I really like having the built in navigation. I can easily program in destinations and go. I'm also learning Android Auto. One of my biggest complaints is that I can't seem to find a way to navigate to someone that is in my contact list with Android Auto.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
In the mobile world, Apple is going to win this standard hands down. The issue with AA is fragmentation in the handset hardware/OS Skin; functions that are beyond the core interface that Google has worked very hard to reel in. I think we have another 5 years of various offerings from Garmin, Apple, Google/Waze, and other GPS providers. We'll see apps, stand-alone GPS modules, and partnerships with automakers using integrated units. From there, providing modern phones can compete, I think we'll see a further shift to GPS apps in personal devices. I think this provides greater flexibility for the user in the way they manage their hardware and software in a variety of environments.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess I'm lazy. I just want to start the car and it's there. No muss no fuss. Don't have to think about data usage or cell coverage. Everything is integrated. On my Pilot the nav. was integrated with the dual zone climate control. It signalled what side of the car the sun was on to assist in temperature adjustments. So many other things added to the Touring that I put the price of this nav. much lower than $1,000.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
We're not there yet. Not with spotty coverage and limited spectrum in some areas. All the while, wireless data consumption is increasing exponentially. As some would say, gotta pay to play. :)

Anekin007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I prefer my phone maps. Phone maps are contantly updating and improving while in car navi is updated once a year via usb stick. After 5 years it's +$100 a year while the smartphones are free. Map caching is a lot better now on smartphones. Large portions are cache and routes are cache when it's inputed. There's even tweaks to cache the whole US. The map data is very small. Smartphone gps works without cell data. The smartphone gps is a lot better than Honda's gps unit. There's already complaints how slow and incorrect the gps units Honda are using in the pilots, accords, and now civics. More processing and more function seems makes a buggy system and it's affecting all the Honda lineup. Most of the infortainment issues are affecting the touring models the most.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I don't know... I kinda enjoy driving south on I-75 in Dayton, Ohio and watching my GPS get confused because the road was moved a good 2 years ago. It has me jumping off the highway onto roads trying to find my way back onto the highway. It goes to the right of the highway. it goes to the left of the highway. And for a short while, it has me swimming in the river. It's like a GPS comedy movie for those couple of miles. Who wouldn't love that?

Once I had WAZE on at the same time on my phone. I'm pretty sure I heard my phone, under its breath, mocking and taunting the poor built-in navigation on my car.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
For instance: Does Carplay & Android Auto run navigation with all sources of music/information at the same time or are there limitations? Any other limitations?
You can use Android Auto navigation along with other audio sources (e.g. FM radio). I cannot be sure about CarPlay but I would think it is the same.

I have a Garmin nav equipped Civic and I prefer Android Auto. The main advantage for me with Android Auto is Google's voice commands. I can navigate with my voice (except to a contact, which is annoying). While Google Maps nav is up and running, I can speak to make phone calls and dictate text messages.

I have used the Garmin nav and it is pretty nice but I struggle to find a real limitation of Android Auto nav compared to it. I suppose that not having a cellular connection, as mentioned by previous comments, would be a limitation depending on where you live in the world. Google Maps mitigates this somewhat by allowing you to download maps for offline navigation. Personally it is a non-issue for me.

OP
OP
Bworks3

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
You can use Android Auto navigation along with other audio sources (e.g. FM radio). I cannot be sure about CarPlay but I would think it is the same.

I have a Garmin nav equipped Civic and I prefer Android Auto. The main advantage for me with Android Auto is Google's voice commands. I can navigate with my voice (except to a contact, which is annoying). While Google Maps nav is up and running, I can speak to make phone calls and dictate text messages.

I have used the Garmin nav and it is pretty nice but I struggle to find a real limitation of Android Auto nav compared to it. I suppose that not having a cellular connection, as mentioned by previous comments, would be a limitation depending on where you live in the world. Google Maps mitigates this somewhat by allowing you to download maps for offline navigation. Personally it is a non-issue for me.
Are offline maps similar to paper maps in terms of function?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
They're just like online Google Maps but you can run off the edge.

klm57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord, 2015 Chevy Equinox

I like Android Auto but almost useless since it won't let me navigate to one of my contacts. How could they leave out such a basic function. Every GPS app I have lets me navigate to a contact address.

pgrimm856

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2013 CR-V
Vehicle Showcase
Read 2 articles that suggested integrated Nav systems are going away completely in a few years, but I imagine companies like Garmin work very hard to keep the quality of their products significantly better than free phone apps as well as building in tech that makes their use much more seamless in integrated car infotainment systems.

However, I haven't heard much in the way of specific feedback about this other than "I love it" versus how and why it's better than the phone apps (other than driving outside of data coverage areas).

Example: If I use the Carplay app for navigation am I then restricted to only using audio sources directly from my phone (e.g., no simultaneous use of AM/FM, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, etc.)? Is it more of just a learning curve with the Carplay and Android Auto or did Garmin design their product to integrate and provide such a value that there is no real comparison?

I ask because I've read posts from people who opted for the EX-L with the Navigation as opposed to the Honda Sensing or neither. I'd like to understand the value of the Integrated Nav that caused folks to spend roughly $1000 extra for a Navigation system (in lieu of Honda Sensing), knowing fully that their phones have built in navigation apps that will get better year after year that work with their cars infotainment system.

I realize built in Navigation systems have always been very expensive (especially in past years), and $1000 seems like a very low price compared to what other Manufacturers offer for comparable products.
I'm assuming the people who made the choice to buy the Navigation systems separately had some very good reasons based off past experience, research, etc? It's just that much better and worth the money, correct?

If possible I'd really like to hear why that is from people who have the EX-L Nav and/or touring. I'm hoping it's more than just the current generation of available Carplay and Android Auto navigation applications are still just not as good as they could be.

Cost of the Garmin updates post year 5 are around $100-150 annually. Car phone Nav apps should continue to get better, along with data coverage, and are usually free. How are companies like Garmin expecting to get consumers to pay for these annual map updates?
On Touring trim, Android Auto does not interfere with any other "source". AA Google Map is transferred to the driver's binackle while other apps run on the LCD. It is possible to mix (AA) sources, but only one soucre is active at any point in time. I hope I answered the question.
Sponsored