Budget car detail

Williamsct1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Hi everyone, I wanted to start out by saying this forum has answered so many questions I had about my new Civic Si! Seems like a great community and I wanted to contribute, I hope someone can benefit from this info.
So here it goes.

I bought a 2018 Civic Si on the 1st and didn't really want black but the other option was a red one at a dealer I wasn't a fan of. So because of a great deal, I got at Sanford Honda, and the fact that my sales person was awesome and black wasn't a deal breaker I went for it.

The detail department at Sanford Honda did an absolutely terrible job at detailing the car, I use to work at a dealership so I understand things get busy and sometimes the detailers aren't the best equipped so I didn't make a big fuss. I decided I wanted to give my car a detail and I started looking here for ideas. Well like most I'm on a budget I would love to drop 350+ on a DA polisher, all the Chemical Guys products, but unfortunately, I can't at the moment. And I wanted a good solid detail. So I went the bargain route and headed to Wal-Mart. Here is a receipt for everything I purchased. I decided to wait for the polishing since it requires a DA tool, and I live on base so no outlets. For right at 100 dollars, I was able to get: Meguiars gold class, Meguiars clay bar kit, Meguiars liquid wax, Meguiars wheel and tire cleaner, Chemical Guys interior detailer, 1 bottle of Rain-x glass cleaner, 2 buckets, 1 waffle drying towel, 1 microfiber wash mitt, and 3 microfiber towels.

I forgot to take pictures of before, I was kinda excited to get to work on the car. I did take some pictures of the finished product and I tried to get some of the minor scratches on camera to show it will need a polish when I get the chance. Oh also bonus point I found a very small dent on the passenger side front fender that was masked by grime so I'll see if the dealership will take care of that for me.

Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions or comments constructive or otherwise lol!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_171253
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_171333
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_173802
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_200255
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_205612
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_201632
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_200311
Honda Civic 10th gen Budget car detail 20180305_171617

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
that's a bit of swirl marks. I hope you aren't washing/drying the car in circle motions.

Also don't use cheap microfiber clothes. You will do more damage than good

OP
OP
Williamsct1

Williamsct1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
that's a bit of swirl marks. I hope you aren't washing/drying the car in circle motions.

Also don't use cheap microfiber clothes. You will do more damage than good

Nope, this was the very first wash and I made sure to wash and dry in one direction. Watched a ton of videos the past couple days to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I'm pretty sure the car went through some machine washes at the dealership.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
Very nice taking matters into your own hands. FYI, there are more affordable DA polishers available, like the Porter Cable 7424xp or Griot's 6" DA. Meguiar's also has a nice DA around $150. They'll take a little more time to polish your car vs forced DA polishers but if you're not in a hurry, it'll do the job just as well. Take this kit for example: https://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-paint-perfection-kit.html. It has everything you need to bring that paint to a mirror finish. I linked autogeek because they constantly have sales. Wait for one of their 25% off coupon codes and you're looking at a sick deal.

OP
OP
Williamsct1

Williamsct1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Very nice taking matters into your own hands. FYI, there are more affordable DA polishers available, like the Porter Cable 7424xp or Griot's 6" DA. Meguiar's also has a nice DA around $150. They'll take a little more time to polish your car vs forced DA polishers but if you're not in a hurry, it'll do the job just as well. Take this kit for example: https://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-paint-perfection-kit.html. It has everything you need to bring that paint to a mirror finish. I linked autogeek because they constantly have sales. Wait for one of their 25% off coupon codes and you're looking at a sick deal.
Awesome! I was looking at autgeek too. I just like being able to go to the store and buy something in person before I order online. That's a hell of a deal on that kit. It will probably be my next detailing purchase, I don't want the swirls to get any worse.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! I was looking at autgeek too. I just like being able to go to the store and buy something in person before I order online. That's a hell of a deal on that kit. It will probably be my next detailing purchase, I don't want the swirls to get any worse.
Keeping swirls off paint is hard. Lol. I bought a water distiller so that I could use it as a final spot-free rinse, thus I don't have to towel dry it. The less you touch the paint the better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Williamsct1

Williamsct1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Keeping swirls off paint is hard. Lol. I bought a water distiller so that I could use it as a final spot-free rinse, thus I don't have to towel dry it. The less you touch the pain the better.

Yea, I'm going to have to figure something out. I have to use the coin wash and the stall I was in the spot free rinse didn't seem to work so well lol.

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my experience, they usually don't. Have you joined the Autogeek forums?

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is. Just be careful. It's easy to get carried away and start buying stuff left and right! You really don't need much.

OP
OP
Williamsct1

Williamsct1

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
There is. Just be careful. It's easy to get carried away and start buying stuff left and right! You really don't need much.

From what I've gathered so far is technique is the most important and developing a good system, so that's what I'm going to focus on. Might be doing a lot of free car washes for friends hahah!

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Technique is the most important. Good luck and if you have any more questions ask away! :thumbsup:

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wish my car still looked that clean,lol
Might sound stupid, but get some grit guards for your buckets, I was skeptical,but they actually keep the junk off my wash mitt.
Sponsored