Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
i was curious if anyone ever traded in a frs brz for a Type R. I was wondering if i would miss the rawness of the BRZ, i am sure the increased power may make up for it. i really miss my old S2k and i am thinking about going back into a Honda due to had great reliability and really enjoyed my 2000 and 2008 Si even though they were autocrossed and track raced i never had any issues. i test drove an 18 Si but i felt it lacked the road feel i have with the BRZ , but it had great torque and a great manual transmission but seemed to run out of gas fast as compared to the 08 I had.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 typeR
Country flag
i was curious if anyone ever traded in a frs brz for a Type R. I was wondering if i would miss the rawness of the BRZ, i am sure the increased power may make up for it. i really miss my old S2k and i am thinking about going back into a Honda due to had great reliability and really enjoyed my 2000 and 2008 Si even though they were autocrossed and track raced i never had any issues. i test drove an 18 Si but i felt it lacked the road feel i have with the BRZ , but it had great torque and a great manual transmission but seemed to run out of gas fast as compared to the 08 I had.
I went from BRZ to Type R, don’t miss the Sub at all. The power and ride quality is so much better in the R.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
i came from a 2014 brz ltd. I cant say i miss it other than the direct shifter to transmission and that raw feeling. Oh and maybe being so low to the ground.

Speed is no comparison. Handling too. Type r is just about better in every category BUT oddly enough i feel less comfortable driving the R. Thats just me and my setup issues though.

the brz was fun light and nimble but the R is a monster in comparison

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Keep the BRZ and buy the CTR. I don't have any experience with the BRZ, but you're never too young to start collecting fun cars! I have watched BRZ's pylon race and was not impressed, however, that could have been the drivers.

OP
OP

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
Wow, didn't realize the newer BRZ still had alot of issues, i thought that it was just the 13s and 14s. Yeah hard to beat honda reliability, i tracked etc my both my 2000 and 2008 Si and also my S2k with no issues at all. Thanks for the info guys!! and sorry to beat a dead horse, i did read some other similiar posts also on here and the answers seem the same. LOL

OP
OP

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
keep in mind you are on a civic forum. the brz forum guys might say something different. yep!! lol

Me personally? I'd trade it in. A BRZ in stock form is just way too slow for me.
i was thinking of going intake header and tune in spring if i keep it to help that department, but prob will ruin the daily ability of the car due to how loud it prob will get lol and even with those i think still less than 200hp on a dynojet. :(

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i was thinking of going intake header and tune in spring if i keep it to help that department, but prob will ruin the daily ability of the car due to how loud it prob will get lol and even with those i think still less than 200hp on a dynojet. :(
I think your only choice would be a force induction kit to get over 200hp lol. Or maybe a full bolt on with E85. but if you kept it NA, the engine really doesn't have any character. No VTEC kind of feel nor change in note while your revving it up so it's a really boring engine.

I was looking at the BRZ TS when i bought the Z. But it was too expensive for the car you get and the only way for me to be happy with the output was to get a turbo kit for it. I don't mind adding boost to it but being in cali, i just didn't want to deal with the hassle of smog anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I like the BRZ and i think it looks really good. It's just not in the same class as a CTR performance wise and COST wise also. I would only keep the BRZ if you must have a RWD car or don't want to spend the extra money to get into a CTR.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
The Type R is reliable but I don't think it would be accurate to juxtapose it with older Si's.

At the end of the day it's still a turbo car, so you need to set your expectations accordingly. The fact that it runs a peak boost pressure of 23.5 on a relatively small turbo, you can't expect it to be reliable as an NA 4-banger. I think relatively speaking, it's reliable compared to many competitors out there. But I don't think it's at the level of reliability of the older NA hondas.

Putrid Pete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Scion FRS
Country flag
I'll be contrary to everyone here. I went from a lowered 2013 FRS. Never had any issues, but I traded out of it when the valve spring recalls came out. The type R is definitely faster, and performs better. BUT, as far as fun factor the FRS was actually better in some ways. First, and obviously, RWD vs FWD. Secondly, less power means you can wind it out, and row through the gears constantly without getting a ticket. With the Type R, you're at highway speed before even shifting out of 3rd.

So while I LOVE my type R, I would never say the FRS isn't better in some ways. It really depends what you want out of a car. There's a reason there's so many Miatas and FrBrGt86s on the road. They're incredibly fun cars.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'll pay you cash money if you buy the Type R and don't do anything but laugh at the idea that you would miss the BRZ. Totally different caliber of car, not even the same league.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I'll pay you cash money if you buy the Type R and don't do anything but laugh at the idea that you would miss the BRZ. Totally different caliber of car, not even the same league.
The BRZ is technically a more focused sports car than the type R. When you say different league, I'm thinking BRZ would be the true sports car while the Type R is in a gray area in between. Type R makes a lot more sacrifices for comfort and practicality than the BRZ platform. Sure, the FK8 has more sophisticated suspension and a stout engine but those are things the CTR engineers had to do to make a practical 4 door hatch back handle well and make it fun in the process. The BRZ/86 is a simple RWD car that has tech that has been tried and true. Not to mention Type R's performance is very picky about road surfaces. Put the type R on a slick wet road and all of the power and handling goes out the window. Any RWD car that's decently balanced will be able to rotate in wet surfaces a lot more efficiently than a FWD car.

Not insisting that Type R is better than BRZ/86 or vise versa, they're just different cars for different people, and for different purposes.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
The BRZ is technically a more focused sports car than the type R. When you say different league, I'm thinking BRZ would be the true sports car while the Type R is in a gray area in between. Type R makes a lot more sacrifices for comfort and practicality than the BRZ platform. Sure, the FK8 has more sophisticated suspension and a stout engine but those are things the CTR engineers had to do to make a practical 4 door hatch back handle well and make it fun in the process. The BRZ/86 is a simple RWD car that has tech that has been tried and true. Not to mention Type R's performance is very picky about road surfaces. Put the type R on a slick wet road and all of the power and handling goes out the window. Any RWD car that's decently balanced will be able to rotate in wet surfaces a lot more efficiently than a FWD car.

Not insisting that Type R is better than BRZ/86 or d, they're just different cars for different people, and for different purposes.
I've had a laundry list of AWD / RWD cars. At the end of the day, no matter the 'driving characterstics', power matters.

I loved the BRZ/FRS. I was over the MOON about the design of it from the interior to the clean lines. Man what a great car.

Then I drove one.

Wow. That power. Are they kidding? This chassis, this car, begging for 300-350hp for the most sublime sub 30k car to EVER hit the market.

The test drive - so underwhelming I crossed the BRZ and FRS off my list of potential vehicles unless an STi / turbo variant came about.

The platform could have been amazing, but without power it's completely neutered and lame.

Get the Type R - it has power and because of that is 10000000X more entertaining than a BRZ (especially stock) would ever be. Now I did run against a supercharged BRZ that beat me in my old EVO - but realistically getting a supercharger on your BRZ / FRS is going to reduce the longevity of the car - so yes, get a Type R. You will also gain a back seat in addition to a ton of power and fun.
Sponsored