Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Well, i got a chance to test drive a Type R last week. It was impressive! very comfortable etc. The rev match was a little weird at first but got used to it quickly, Great car!! Gonna drive an Si next if i can find one, kinda scarce locally atm. especially a coupe, i did drive one last year and it was pretty nice also but just a very very short trip. hmmm
The Type-R is way faster than the BRZ, so that's a change. The Si is basically the same overall performance of the BRZ - the difference being much more torque way down in the the rpm range.
Sponsored

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
FWIW, former BRZ owner here. But, it has been ~4 years. I had the BRZ for around 2 years. At the time, I kept on saying the BRZ was 'a slower S2000.' I especially loved the driving position, clutch and shifter feel, and the sweet handling.

However, the straight line speed was so bad. The torque dip was awful. I traded it in for a WRX and never looked back.

TLDR - Type R > BRZ in every regard possible imo.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
FWIW, former BRZ owner here. But, it has been ~4 years. I had the BRZ for around 2 years. At the time, I kept on saying the BRZ was 'a slower S2000.' I especially loved the driving position, clutch and shifter feel, and the sweet handling.

However, the straight line speed was so bad. The torque dip was awful. I traded it in for a WRX and never looked back.

The only thing the BRZ has done better is weight distribution and RWD.

OP
OP

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
Looks like i may be picking up a new 2020 Si coupe this weekend!! Was seriously thinking Type R but my business got hit hard with Covid 19 in March- May, not sure want to take a chance of that happening again in the Fall so rather spend less.

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Looks like i may be picking up a new 2020 Si coupe this weekend!! Was seriously thinking Type R but my business got hit hard with Covid 19 in March- May, not sure want to take a chance of that happening again in the Fall so rather spend less.

Cool. Not BRZ, but I traded in my WRX for Type R. I definitely do miss some of the rawness of the WRX. The Type R is a more insulated connection between driver and car, if that makes sense.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Congrats if it goes through. I've had 2 current gen WRXs, a current gen Si coupe and now Type-R. Best vehicle for the money was the Si even though I hate that they lost their VTEC heritage with it, the 1.5T is absolutely nothing special. Handling was comparable to the WRX and is 7/10th of the Type-R (In feel I'm not a pro.) Speed is of course different but with a basic 91 octane tune, it (felt) almost as fast as the R. Perception is everything.

I had gotten my Si for 23,500 and DAMNNNNN that feels like such a bargain compared to the 37k MSRP I paid for the R. I wouldn't go back but I don't blame anyone for choosing the Si.

OP
OP

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag

I almost was think going with a wrx, it just seemed quite a bit understeery, pushy but definitely the torque hit was crazy around 2900 rpms or so almost like a rocket was attached to the car lol

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I almost was think going with a wrx, it just seemed quite a bit understeery, pushy but definitely the torque hit was crazy around 2900 rpms or so almost like a rocket was attached to the car lol
The torque curve of that car is addicting because it's very low, 2600-4300ish feels like a rocket ship but then it falls flat on its face like your doing nothing more than passing a semi on the interstate but with the pedal to the floor. Both my 15 and 16 were lemons, more so the 15 than the 16 so take that as you will.

Dvolved

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ABM CTR, 2015 RS1 FRS
Country flag
I still have my FRS as a track car, while CTR is my DD.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
As someone who has owned both, I'd take the CTR 10 times out of 10. I had modified my BRZ with full suspension, turbo kit, flex fuel, etc. Just wasn't worth it IMO. The engine and trans are too weak. Great chassis though.

OP
OP

Kevin29

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BRZ Honda CRV
Country flag
Congrats if it goes through. I've had 2 current gen WRXs, a current gen Si coupe and now Type-R. Best vehicle for the money was the Si even though I hate that they lost their VTEC heritage with it, the 1.5T is absolutely nothing special. Handling was comparable to the WRX and is 7/10th of the Type-R (In feel I'm not a pro.) Speed is of course different but with a basic 91 octane tune, it (felt) almost as fast as the R. Perception is everything.

I had gotten my Si for 23,500 and DAMNNNNN that feels like such a bargain compared to the 37k MSRP I paid for the R. I wouldn't go back but I don't blame anyone for choosing the Si.
Yeah price is huge, i had a 2000 Si and an 08 that i autocrossed alot in street and in STX, i couldn't break either one , they were great cars! same with my S2k, it was a great car, def miss that one! i think if this Covid stuff wasn't impacting me locally financially i would jump on the Type R but def not gonna hate the Si by no means.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah price is huge, i had a 2000 Si and an 08 that i autocrossed alot in street and in STX, i couldn't break either one , they were great cars! same with my S2k, it was a great car, def miss that one! i think if this Covid stuff wasn't impacting me locally financially i would jump on the Type R but def not gonna hate the Si by no means.
With the summer tires in sport mode I once took a hard circle freeway off-ramp in torrential rain and flooding on my way to work with an exit recommended speed of 30mph going 70mph under an overpass where I smashed the breaks just in time to miss big hail with my Si. I was so damn impressed. I could barely see but she held on. The car was at her limit but I could feel everything I needed to feel in my feet and butt to know what I was doing. Great car man.

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
The torque curve of that car is addicting because it's very low, 2600-4300ish feels like a rocket ship but then it falls flat on its face like your doing nothing more than passing a semi on the interstate but with the pedal to the floor. Both my 15 and 16 were lemons, more so the 15 than the 16 so take that as you will.
Exactly, I made the mistake of test driving the WRX while owning my BRZ. Had to get rid of the BRZ immediately.

Then after owning the WRX (2016 one) for only 7 months, I realized how bland it was. I didn't mod it, but maybe I should have. I then went BMW and managed to keep that car for 2+ years. Much happier with that.
Sponsored