Broken Turbo/DP Studs

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT (White Orchid Pearl)
Country flag
Hey guys, so as the title states; I broke the studs connecting my turbo to the catalytic converter. I ordered replacement OEM studs and am waiting for the machine shop to get back to me. I thought I'd share my experiences and keep you all updated just in case anyone else finds themselves in this situation. Pictures below.
Wish me luck haha.

20' Sport Hatch 6MT (White Orchid Pearl)

Honda Civic 10th gen Broken Turbo/DP Studs IMG_6981.PNG
Honda Civic 10th gen Broken Turbo/DP Studs IMG_6982.PNG

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty common occurrence... drill out most of the recessed broken part and use an easy out.
Long busted one is easier yet.
Kroil it for a day or more. Then heat up the surrounding area and remove with Vise Grips.

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pretty common occurrence... drill out most of the recessed broken part and use an easy out.
Long busted one is easier yet.
Kroil it for a day or more. Then heat up the surrounding area and remove with Vise Grips.
the long one seems to be rotating in place, its in the hands of a machine shop I got recommended by someone. I just hope I won't need another turbo.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
the long one seems to be rotating in place, its in the hands of a machine shop I got recommended by someone. I just hope I won't need another turbo.
You’ll be fine my guy. Studs and bolts break on people all the time. Plenty of ways to get your turbo back to you with them removed. You’ll be fine. For the long stud, you could have tried this trick an old head taught me at work one day. Heat up the stud and bust out a candle. The wax will literally travel into the threads and a vice grip and some leverage, she’d come out easy peasy. The other one you’d just have to drill and extract.

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You’ll be fine my guy. Studs and bolts break on people all the time. Plenty of ways to get your turbo back to you with them removed. You’ll be fine. For the long stud, you could have tried this trick an old head taught me at work one day. Heat up the stud and bust out a candle. The wax will literally travel into the threads and a vice grip and some leverage, she’d come out easy peasy. The other one you’d just have to drill and extract.
thanks for the reassurance, this thing just has me stressed because I haven't even hit 1k miles yet, and I didn't expect the downpipe/intake install to decommission the car for this long

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Oof this is one of the few reasons I haven't done this yet. I can't afford any downtime and I have a feeling I'd be stuck with broken studs.

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oof this is one of the few reasons I haven't done this yet. I can't afford any downtime and I have a feeling I'd be stuck with broken studs.
I made the mistake of not spraying the studs down for a few days before trying to remove them. I only did it on the day of removal several times and it didn't do much. my advice would be if you don't absolutely need your car for a weekend, spray it down a few times on Friday, Saturday and then Sunday morning and try removal in the afternoon/evening if you have the time for that.

OP
OP
Neil_FK7

Neil_FK7

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
just picked it up from the machine shop and these threads feel brand new! new studs didn't have any play when I test fit them, overall this went much better than I was expecting. huge shoutout to John and all the guys at Advanced Engine Rebuilders in Wheeling!

Honda Civic 10th gen Broken Turbo/DP Studs IMG_6987.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Broken Turbo/DP Studs IMG_6993.JPG

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Use anti-seize when you reassemble everything!!