Coaster Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2017 si with 35,000 miles. Some time back, Honda replaced the air conditioning condensor. Now, the car is blowing hot air again. I took it to the dealer who told me that the condensor, evaporator and compressor are all leaking. The condensor is under the 10 year extended warranty but the other parts aren't.

The dealer wanted to charge me more than $3,000 for the repairs. I contacted Honda of America and they'll subsidize the repair but I'd still have to pay $900. That seems like a lot of money, especially when I know that this could happen again.

Has anyone had a similar problem with your relatively low mileage Honda? What did you do? At this point, I'm thinking of having Honda fix the condensor under warranty and just having the freon topped up by an independent mechanic.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Take it to a 3rd party and ask what they charge. If it's less then take it to them. If more then let Honda fix it and eat the cost. If you just let the stuff keep running with leaks, at some point it's going to fail and possibly grenade, taking out other things that you will have to pay to fix at that point.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My AC have gone out 3x. I filled them with ac fluid and it works again. Its. A hassle tho.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My evap core began leaking at 32K and was replaced by Honda at 54K. They also proactively replaced the condenser. No issues for the last few years. Currently at 83K.

IMHO, it's worth taking to a reputable dealer since Honda will be subsidizing a good portion of the cost. And IIRC, nearly all the AC components now have updated part IDs. I've been told by numerous folks it was related to Honda's move to switch over to the more eco-friendly refrigerant, starting with the 10th Gen.

Also worth considering:
- The evap core sits under the dash and requires extensive labor & expertise to swap.
- Not a lot of third party shops have the updated hardware to evac/recharge the newer R134A refrigerant.

GL.

OP
OP
Coaster Dan

Coaster Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
My evap core began leaking at 32K and was replaced by Honda at 54K. They also proactively replaced the condenser. No issues for the last few years. Currently at 83K.

IMHO, it's worth taking to a reputable dealer since Honda will be subsidizing a good portion of the cost. And IIRC, nearly all the AC components now have updated part IDs. I've been told by numerous folks it was related to Honda's move to switch over to the more eco-friendly refrigerant, starting with the 10th Gen.

Also worth considering:
- The evap core sits under the dash and requires extensive labor & expertise to swap.
- Not a lot of third party shops have the updated hardware to evac/recharge the newer R134A refrigerant.

GL.
Thanks for the information. Honda will subsidize 70% of the cost so I'll bite the bullet and pay the rest.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy this and this.

A simple diy fix for $50. I did this 2 summers ago when my warranty was denied. It's still blowing cold. I bought a couple extra cans thinking I would need to recharge, but so far, so good!!! 2 summers in the books....cold A/C!!

If your system is blowing warm, your system is empty and 1 full can is exactly how much you need.

OP
OP
Coaster Dan

Coaster Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Buy this and this.

A simple diy fix for $50. I did this 2 summers ago when my warranty was denied. It's still blowing cold. I bought a couple extra cans thinking I would need to recharge, but so far, so good!!! 2 summers in the books....cold A/C!!

If your system is blowing warm, your system is empty and 1 full can is exactly how much you need.
Interesting. Is that the kind of refrigerant that these cars take? I thought not.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting. Is that the kind of refrigerant that these cars take? I thought not.
Well, ya thought wrong. Learn your car better or go pay Honda $900-$3000. Cheers!

kcolbeez

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2017 si with 35,000 miles. Some time back, Honda replaced the air conditioning condensor. Now, the car is blowing hot air again. I took it to the dealer who told me that the condensor, evaporator and compressor are all leaking. The condensor is under the 10 year extended warranty but the other parts aren't.

The dealer wanted to charge me more than $3,000 for the repairs. I contacted Honda of America and they'll subsidize the repair but I'd still have to pay $900. That seems like a lot of money, especially when I know that this could happen again.

Has anyone had a similar problem with your relatively low mileage Honda? What did you do? At this point, I'm thinking of having Honda fix the condensor under warranty and just having the freon topped up by an independent mechanic.
Seeing this was from Feb, not sure how helpful it will be to you, but might be able to help others. I have a 2016 Honda Civic and had my condenser go in 2019 and then again this year (2022) at the end of August. I was working for an auto glass company at the time and we frequently call the parts departments at dealerships to run VIN # to make sure we get the correct part for the windshields. Well one of the guys I was friendly with at the Honda Dealership told me firsthand that all the condensers are still defective, and that Honda knows that and can’t figure out what the problem with them are, but they keep using then anyways. A week later, my 2nd AC condenser stops working. I make an appointment and at my dealership it’s $175 for the diagnostic test to see if it’s the condenser. The service advisor seems shocked and says to me that he’s never heard of someone having it fail twice. I keep my mouth shut with my inside information because I want to see what’s going to happen first. He calls me later in the day to let me know it is, in fact the condenser but that because it was not the factory compressor and that it had been replaced once before, that I would have to pay $2200 to have it fixed. That’s when I told him that’s bullshit. I have a friend that works at Honda in parts and that the part is defective, it’s known to be defective and there is no way I am paying for the replacement. Now they know I am well informed and still try everything they can to wiggle out of replacing it again. Finally after fighting with them and threating to contact my lawyer, they magically got Honda to replace it again under warranty. My car is not 10 years old but I’m wondering what will happen in 2 years when it goes again. But do not let these people take advantage of you. This is a defective part and they know it and they keep replacing them with the same defective condensers. He tried to tell me the part # was updated but they can do that and it’s still the same part. I wasn’t having it. I think it’s time for a class action lawsuit. It really sucks, because I love my civic otherwise but this makes me not want to buy another Honda ever again.
Sponsored