FrostFTW

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Sedan
Country flag
As the title says, my brothers and I broke two of the studs that fasten the top of the downpipe to the turbo/exhaust manifold. While they work on removing the turbo to drill out the studs, I am trying to find out if I can simply replace that part of the turbo set-up . Anyone have any advice or know if that part can be ordered by itself?
Sponsored

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Yeah you can replace the studs. It’s not a hard process. The double nut trick will make it simple so long as you have enough threads

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Damn that sucks. Did you soak the studs in penetrating fluid before trying to remove them? That part terrified me during my DP install. Dont want to have to do it again lol.

OP
OP

FrostFTW

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Sedan
Country flag
Did you soak the studs in penetrating fluid before trying to remove them?
No, that's definitely where we messed up. Everything was still very hot and all other installs had gone so smoothly that we got lax and didn't soak them like we should have. May have to order a W1 to get out of this mess which means a clutch too lol.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
No, that's definitely where we messed up. Everything was still very hot and all other installs had gone so smoothly that we got lax and didn't soak them like we should have. May have to order a W1 to get out of this mess which means a clutch too lol.
Lol you can definitely get new studs but if you want to just put a whole new turbo in I'm behind you 100%!!

OP
OP

FrostFTW

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah you can replace the studs. It’s not a hard process. The double nut trick will make it simple so long as you have enough threads
Unfortunately, there was not enough threads to get the double nut trick going. They are much better mechanics than me, but the drilling out the studs has me worried that something will get damaged beyond repair. Really looks like I'd have to order the whole oem turbo/W1 if that happens. Appreciate the reply!

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Unfortunately, there was not enough threads to get the double nut trick going. They are much better mechanics than me, but the drilling out the studs has me worried that something will get damaged beyond repair. Really looks like I'd have to order the whole oem turbo/W1 if that happens. Appreciate the reply!
Okay another option that I only use when I feel at a loss is to use vice grips and make sure they are biting down tight tight. Just make sure you orientate the pliers the right way

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
If you drill and extract the broken studs, you have to make sure the pilot hole is centered well. Use a punch to make your indent. Don’t drill off center
Sponsored