Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. Since LED lights in the stock projectors seem to get a lot of hate for poor output, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for super white Halogen replacement bulbs that could match the DRL's and beat the output of the stock bulbs. I had found a few bulbs on Amazon that match the color of the DRL's, but they seem to explicitly indicate that output is worse than stock.
Sponsored

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I used to use Sylvania Silver Star Ultra. Put them in my parent’s new CR-V. Big difference.

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
Interested in a few options/opinions on output as well.

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The cheap ebay ones, where the bulbs are just tinted blue, have horrible output. I had them in my old car, and other than the "white" color (which isn't perfect either), they were garbage. Personally, I haven't tried the silverstars, but I've heard good reviews about them as far as color and brightness, but I also read that they tend to burn out rather quickly.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Why not go with HIDs for your projectors and LEDs for fogs? Halogens just can't get close enough to that HID/LED white for me.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why not go with HIDs for your projectors and LEDs for fogs? Halogens just can't get close enough to that HID/LED white for me.
Mostly because every seems to indicate that they shouldn't be put into the factory projectors.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most people have changed their minds on that as the stock projectors will accept HID bulbs and put out the correct cutoff. I was one of them in the beginning but they work fine. Here's my cutoff with a 35w 5500K Morimoto kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? 20171016_204756_resized-jpg-

Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? 20171016_204756_resized-jpg-

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most people have changed their minds on that as the stock projectors will accept HID bulbs and put out the correct cutoff. I was one of them in the beginning but they work fine. Here's my cutoff with a 35w 5500K Morimoto kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? {filename}
Awesome! So it's not blinding to other drivers, and does not damage the stock projector housing?

Do the Morimoto's color match with the DRL's? Where did you mount your HID ballasts?

Considering HID's definitely opens up some new options.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know about matching the DRL's as I wasn't one of the people who cared about that. It's at the same level as any of the other lights unless you adjust it higher so it doesn't blind anyone. My passenger ballast is taped up under the hood hinge mount and the drivers side is taped on the metal along side the fuse box. I bolted my relay to a bolt over the AC piping. I'll have to get pics up at some point. People have been running HIDs in the stock projectors for a while now with no problems so I just gave in until I can get the retro done.

Last edited:

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know about matching the DRL's as I wasn't one of the people who cared about that. My passenger ballast is taped up under the hood hinge mount and the drivers side is taped on the metal along side the fuse box. I bolted my relay to a bolt over the AC piping. I'll have to get pics up at some point. People have been running HIDs in the stock projectors for a while now with no problems so I just gave in until I can get the retro done.
i've just ordered HIDs and would appreciate your setup as to where you put everything. seen others set up and it's really helped but just curious on others set ups also..

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll try and get pics later. I had an extension cable from my LED setup that helped with the mounting of the passenger side ballast as the wires are somewhat short on the H11 kit.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I ordered the GP Thunder Platinum White bulbs. Will post a review when I receive them, should be in a couple days. The stock (non-led) were a little yellow for my tastes. The Super White versions might suffice, but were a bit blue from what I could tell. I wanted white-white. Which hopefully these fit the bill. There's a good gradient offered, from very gold yellow, up to the platinum white.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GP-THUNDER-V...2966942?varId=670320020034&txnId=663574881027

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, you'll want the H11 55W in case anyone was wondering (for low beam bulbs).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright here's the pics. All unseen wiring is routed under the cooling cover. Passenger side ballast wiring has an extension from my LED kit because the wire wasn't long enough to reach without it. I will probably reroute it through the tunnel instead of leaving it hanging over that section. Driver's side has the positive connected to the fuse box and the ballast on the body alongside it. Ground is bolted up under the cooling cover. I put the relay pack on that bolt holding some hoses to a motor attachment. Had to drill the hole a bit bigger to make it fit but it works fine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? 20171024_102837
Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? 20171024_102855

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I ordered the GP Thunder Platinum White bulbs. Will post a review when I receive them, should be in a couple days. The stock (non-led) were a little yellow for my tastes. The Super White versions might suffice, but were a bit blue from what I could tell. I wanted white-white. Which hopefully these fit the bill. There's a good gradient offered, from very gold yellow, up to the platinum white.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GP-THUNDER-V...2966942?varId=670320020034&txnId=663574881027
The Platinum Whites are fairly white, but actually seem to have a slight green hue, which is fine by me. But also contrasts heavily with the stock white bulb in the side marker with a clear side marker cover. Definitely loving the new head lamps and side marker, but the side marker bulbs gotta change to match the rest.

The picture makes the head lights look pure white. A little deceiving. If you don't want any hint of color, I'd go for the Super Whites. Luminosity is identical to stock, but seems to draw out more details on the road.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bright white Halogen low beams to replace stock lights? 20171026_192302
Sponsored