CivicR316

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic type r and a 2013 chevy silverado hd
Country flag
so still no option for a rear replacement caliper ?

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so still no option for a rear replacement caliper ?
not yet but i know a company that is working on something and another that has done something, neither are Brembo, unsure when they will be available

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
Brembo calipers, Ferodo pads as they are the supplier for Brembo on pads. Correct the biggest pain in the ass to upgrade the rears is the electronic parking brake. For now, you can upgrade the fronts to 6 pistons, but time will tell if any manufacturer will take on the R&D to upgrade the rear calipers. As others have mentioned the brakes are more than sufficient in stock form. A lot of people have mentioned brake fade and yes it will happen on short course tracks. The "Ring" time is mainly a high-speed track thus giving sufficient air flow to cool the brakes. Aesthetically to me and you, it is ugly to have a single piston rear brake caliper.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smh... the rear brakes are Brembos. :banghead:
My nephew is a Honda Technician and says the rears are not Brembos.. the rears are just regular brake setup.. same all civics. He says it’s just painted red. :(

The other thing he told me was for the Brembos in the front...,when changing pads the rotors must be replaced also...

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
My nephew is a Honda Technician and says the rears are not Brembos.. the rears are just regular brake setup.. same all civics. He says it’s just painted red. :(

The other thing he told me was for the Brembos in the front...,when changing pads the rotors must be replaced also...
Well, even Honda Technicians can be wrong :)

The rear rotor on a normal civic is 10.2 inches, the rear of the type R has a 12 inch rotor. It's much bigger.

Although it may be recommended to replace the rotor, I don't think there is anything special and every rotor I've dealt with should be replaced if it has too much runout or is too thin or has cracks. If no to those questions, keep going. (edit: oh yeah and don't resurface)

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Any update on rear brake kit for FK8?
So you want to spend 2-3k on looks, with no performance benefit, on a part that is for performance?

Here's how I think about it.

1. I look at a Porsche GT3 or GT4 with huge discs and fixed calipers front and rear and that's cool because both ends of the car do the braking. These cars have about 60% of the weight on the rear. Under braking the split front and rear is pretty even.

2. I look at the CTR and see Brembo up front and sliding calipers with largish rotors in the rear. I know that the front has 62% of the weight so under braking the front does over 80% of the work. Honda did well to engineer this car and it looks purposeful and awesome. Form follows function.

3. I look at an E92 BMW M3 (powerful car, a lot of weight up front) with single piston sliding calipers up FRONT and I shake my head in disappointment and shame.

Context is everything.

Last edited:

chrisgp17

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So you want to spend 2-3k on looks, with no performance benefit, on a part that is for performance?

Here's how I think about it.

1. I look at a Porsche GT3 or GT4 with huge discs and fixed calipers front and rear and that's cool because both ends of the car do the braking. These cars have about 60% of the weight on the rear. Under braking the split front and rear is pretty even.

2. I look at the CTR and see Brembo up front and sliding calipers with largish rotors in the rear. I know that the front has 62% of the weight so under braking the front does over 80% of the work. Honda did well to engineer this car and it looks purposeful and awesome. Form follows function.

3. I look at an E92 BMW M3 (powerful car, a lot of weight up front) with single piston sliding calipers up FRONT and I shake my head in disappointment and shame.

Context is everything.
I intend to change the front to Brembo GT-R and for the rears yes looks + performance for sure. Hope to find the rears first then match the fronts.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
My rear brakes are coming up for swap so I am wondering if anyone followed up on this one?

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Rear calipers have parking brakes built in. That will be the main barrier to entry for swapping calipers.

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Z/28, '22 Ridgeline , '22 CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
Aren't giant rear brakes on a FWD car not really worth it?
They want the look of the multi-piston caliper. They're not concerned with the brake bias
Sponsored