TranP21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Drove my '17 Coupe 6MT like I stole it right off the lot :p
x2 :thumbsup:

I purchased my 2018 Civic SI a couple of weeks ago and from 30 miles - 600 miles I've gunned it almost 10 times. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the ass in the future lol.
Sponsored

wgsofjan29

First Name
Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX Auto, 2018 Civic Coupe LX 6-Speed
Country flag
I abied mine all the way to 800. Kept it in sport a lot to let the RPMs fluctuate more, with some Drive in there. 800 hit and I’m gone. Never redline though. It’s an LX. I don’t plan to speed this car up, just make it look more aesthetically pleasing.

HarleyHellboy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
I have a 2018 Civic Si. I believe through experience you should break a car in just how you are going to drive it. From the time I got the car I would mash the throttle and red line it every 5 minutes. I drive it hard so the engine is broken in just how I will drive it.

HarleyHellboy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
x2 :thumbsup:

I purchased my 2018 Civic SI a couple of weeks ago and from 30 miles - 600 miles I've gunned it almost 10 times. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the ass in the future lol.
It is fine. I have a 2018 Civic Si and I wind it out all the time. That's what they were built for...Next week I'm having Hondata remap and Dyno Tune. Then It will be fast enough for me. It just doesn't Wow me now...but it will in a week

Plowman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Reading through some of these comments, help re ensure me that i may be okay but want opinions directed to my situation.

This is my first new car so didnt think about 'breaking in' my engine at the time, drove it off the lot at 80 miles and after hitting 5k rpms could feel the power of the turbo kicked in and blasted off. done this a few times that day and then started driving it more calm hiting at most 5k rpm.

About three times i read lined a little passed 6.5k rpm, showing off, and passing some guy flooring his truck haha

Just curious what you guys think, been stay around 3k now after readin this but at 300 miles. nothing seems to be going on but i feel like i may have a lose of power. That said, i feel like the lose of power comed from me hesitating from reving the engine to far. So probably fine but its always nice to have a peace of mind, or be told to go get it checked out.

Thanks in advance!

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Reading through some of these comments, help re ensure me that i may be okay but want opinions directed to my situation.

This is my first new car so didnt think about 'breaking in' my engine at the time, drove it off the lot at 80 miles and after hitting 5k rpms could feel the power of the turbo kicked in and blasted off. done this a few times that day and then started driving it more calm hiting at most 5k rpm.

About three times i read lined a little passed 6.5k rpm, showing off, and passing some guy flooring his truck haha

Just curious what you guys think, been stay around 3k now after readin this but at 300 miles. nothing seems to be going on but i feel like i may have a lose of power. That said, i feel like the lose of power comed from me hesitating from reving the engine to far. So probably fine but its always nice to have a peace of mind, or be told to go get it checked out.

Thanks in advance!
I would think just take it easy for the rest of the time, I doubt you really did anything bad to the engine but taking it easy until the end of the break in will make sure nothing is wrong. Plus the break in is a mix of letting the engine wear in / making sure that there isn't a manufacture defect that can cause an accident.

bonne

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes... sold... now 10'th Gen Civic 1.5 VTEC CVT
Country flag
I just ordered a brand new Civic 1.5 Sport Plus Aut. I am expecting to actually getting it in a few weeks. Now... I want to break it in correctly, and I get three directly different approaches on how to do so for the first 3.000 km:

1) Drive it gently like if you are going to drive Miss Daisy
2) Drive it like you have just been stealing it (modern cars don't have defects)
3) Do what ever you want to do with it... it is already driven in and ready to what ever you could possible want to do with it.

Well... I have had two other brand new cars, and I have always done what I felt was logic:

1) Drive long distances. (some suggest it is important to let the engine cool... why? Correct driving temp has to be the most optimal?)
2) Don't force the car with pedal to the metal or in high RPMs... at least until it is 100% warm and only give it short beatings to blow out the system once in a while)
3) Combine different drivings. Highway, hills, cities... so it will wear evenly
4) Never use cruise control (this one I am not that sure about... why shouldn't constant load be good once in a while?)

I read the owners manual on the net, but couldn't find any relevant info... Anyone of you have any comments on my view to break-in a new car?

Regards, Lars.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I thought it said in the manual but you want to avoid going on long consistent drives because you want the rpms to hit the whole spectrum. I would say try not to push the car to the extreme but don't let it just rest at one rpm range either.

R4y30n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
VW recommends varying rpm, too, they say it's something to do with the valve seats. The "drive it like you stole it" approach has some merit from the standpoint of honing your ring/cylinder interface for better sealing and less blow-by.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

bonne

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
VW recommends varying rpm, too, they say it's something to do with the valve seats. The "drive it like you stole it" approach has some merit from the standpoint of honing your ring/cylinder interface for better sealing and less blow-by.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Yeah, I read that link earlier... it sounds very weird in almost all ways. No synthetic oil? So he wants you to change the oil the same day you get the car to a mineral oil? Then run it hard, then change oil again after 20 miles?

Regards, Lars.

bonne

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
An additional question... Any specific recommendations regarding breaking in the CVT? I mean... revs here are more constant than in manual.

Regards, Lars.

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
An additional question... Any specific recommendations regarding breaking in the CVT? I mean... revs here are more constant than in manual.

Regards, Lars.
I don't remember seeing anything about the cvt, its more about the cylinders in the engine than the transmission

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
It is more difficult to force a range of RPM's when the vehicle is using ECU logic to control the RPM's and keep it constant (CVT). Essentially the mating of seals and other parts are what is trying to be accomplished by break-in, however, if you go to motorcycle forums, they would suggest revving it as high as you can as soon as you can, basically (drive it like you stole it) and do this immediately.....everyone has a different viewpoint.

Modern engines are less prone to break-in issues, but they still happen. We have much better factory tolerances and break-in procedures than they did back in the 50's when break-in was critical

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
It is more difficult to force a range of RPM's when the vehicle is using ECU logic to control the RPM's and keep it constant (CVT). Essentially the mating of seals and other parts are what is trying to be accomplished by break-in, however, if you go to motorcycle forums, they would suggest revving it as high as you can as soon as you can, basically (drive it like you stole it) and do this immediately.....everyone has a different viewpoint.

Modern engines are less prone to break-in issues, but they still happen. We have much better factory tolerances and break-in procedures than they did back in the 50's when break-in was critical
I've heard this a lot too, personally I just try to go off the manual, they did build the car so they must have some reason for it.

rawmar

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan, 2014 Mazda Miata Club
Country flag
I drove mine 130 miles on the highway and tried to fluctuate between about 58-64, with no cruise. Really hard to do and quite a pain.

Total of about 150 miles so far and my computer mpg is 45! First tank and it's that good?! I'm psyched on that.
This is no different than just being in cruise control at one speed. What you want to do is vary the engine speed across the whole range (well, not the whole range but definitely 2000 to 5000 rpm). Don't stay at the same engine speed for long periods of time. On the highway you can shift into a lower gear for some time, change vehicle speed more often, and stay at different speeds for at least a few minutes at a time.
Sponsored