Break in Engine Oil

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X touring sport
Country flag
Hello,

does Honda fill in a break-in oil into the 1.5 Turbo engine in the factory? Does anybody know?
Here are some infos, but i`m confused.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/honda-break-in-oil-myth.294598/#post-4840780

Here is also a good read about the OM642 Mercedes Diesel engine, and i think there might be some similarities to a diesel engine. And since the 1.5 also might get problems with oil dilution .as we know, i`m interested in some infos. Should i change the oil after 1000miles in my new car (as often suggested after the engine break in period) or is it important to leave in the factory (break in ) oil to let the piston rings form a perfect seal with the cylinder walls.
I live in Europe but as far as i know all Touring Sport Hatchbacks are from the factory in UK Swindon and therefore (but thats just speculation) will get the same oil (Original Honda Genuine oil 0W20 or a special break in oil?) regardless of target market. Also imaginable that the dealer will fill in/change the oil shortly before delivery to the client.

http://www.stephensservice.com/everything-has-changed-and-nothing-has-changed/

I bought Mobil 1 ESP, which has the C2 and C3 approval and thinking when is the best time to change the oil? After 1000, 2000 or 3000 miles?
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Honda doesn’t Factory Fill a break-in oil. There are however, assembly lubes used during manufacturing process. These assembly lubes have a high moly percentage (as confirmed in UOAs).
Leave it in until MM is at 15-20%. After that change as much as you want. This will ensure a complete and proper break in of the sliding surfaces.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I believe Honda does what someone quotes in that Bob's link. They leave some molybdenum-rich assembly lubricant in new engines and then fill with regular oil. But there is nothing that this molybdenum needs to do after a couple 1000 miles (and this is already very generous).

That doesn't mean that there is any need or benefit whatsoever in dumping the factory oil at 1000 or 2000 miles in a today's Honda engine. On the other hand, I also don't see how I could keep it for 10k miles with oil dilution that I'm seeing (others may have a different experience). So I change the oil at about 5000 miles, factory or not, and in addition to this, I usually replace some oil between changes if I think the level goes too high.

OP
OP

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda doesn’t Factory Fill a break-in oil. There are however, assembly lubes used during manufacturing process. These assembly lubes have a high moly percentage (as confirmed in UOAs).
Leave it in until MM is at 15-20%. After that change as much as you want. This will ensure a complete and proper break in of the sliding surfaces.
MM at 15-20%? Maintenance Menu Oil life left? I dont even have this information in my car. Service A for oil is now show up blank/empty but will change someday to days or km (mileage).

From experience of other drivers some algorithm of the engine control unit calculates the intervall for oil change which is roughly around 10000miles. Depending how much short distances you drive, how much cold starts you did and so on.

Last edited:

OP
OP

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Change it at like 6000-7500 miles
Thats far too much. Especially if you consider that the official change will be around 10000miles at the dealership.
So my first unofficial change which i make by myself will not be tracked by the dealership nor will i reset the Maintenance Menu in the car.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Thats far too much. Especially if you consider that the official change will be around 10000miles at the dealership.
So my first unofficial change which i make by myself will not be tracked by the dealership nor will i reset the Maintenance Menu in the car.
I don't go to the dealer service for official oil changes. Only by myself.

OP
OP

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't go to the dealer service for official oil changes. Only by myself.
We have to gobto a Honda dealer here in Europe if you dont want to risk your warranty.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
If you don’t have an Oil Life monitor, then do the first change when the manual tells you.

Your first change should not be too much earlier than 6000miles.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Honda uses Phillips 66 0W-20 at the factory. As mentioned, the primary benefit occurs within the first few thousand miles.

Dealers are instructed to keep in the factory fill for the first full cycle, and generally will not change before the MM reaches 15%. But changing early will not harm anything beyond the wallet. :)

OP
OP

born_hard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have an oil life monitor. Its not in % but in km. Average span or interval between oil changes is calculated around 15000km or around 10000 miles.

As we all know, an engine needs about 1000miles to break in, and there is plenty of crap circulating in the oil from machining process and whatnot.
So an early oil change cannot harm, unless there is a break in lubricant (molybden additive) which is important to leave in couple 1000s km.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Yes, it is important to leave the FF in. The extra moly assists in the fine polishing of the sliding surfaces. There are NOT big chunks of crap floating around the engine.... even if there were, the oil filter would filter them out. Follow Honda’s recommendations for the first oil change and then have at it.... waste as much oil as you want.

Or, follow the advice of others that are not Honda Engineers and take your chances.

I followed MM on first and subsequent oil changes and my cams look perfect at 85000kms....

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Used to be the case is older cars to do a "break in" oil change after a couple hundred miles. Now with modern engines unless the factory specifically states to change the oil after a specific period just drive until the MM tells you to change the oil and you will be fine. Will changing the oil early harm the engine? No. Not in the short term... but you may lose out on some benefit from additives or a high Moly content adding some extra "cushion" to the the metal surfaces in the engine which could shorten the overall lifespan of the engine or some of its components if you do not let it work in for the full length of the first service interval.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
^ this
Sponsored