xpNero

First Name
Nero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB 2020
Country flag
Hey guys, I recently bought my first car which is a 2020 Honda Civic Hatchback. I’m interested in putting performance modifications into the car but I don’t know where to start…
Any advice for someone who’s brand new? All/any advice is welcome. :)
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For power mods a tune is king. It's by far the biggest change you can make to improve your car's performance. For handling mods, better tires are the place to start.

If I was out to improve my car's performance without breaking the bank, here's the mod progression I'd do:

1. A Ktuner and a Phearable 1.5R tune from Phearable.

2. Continental DWS06+ tires.

3. A PRL Cobra cold air intake.

4. A larger rear sway bar (from an OEM Si bar to the larger aftermarket bars like Whiteline).

Those four changes would transform your car. A couple other worthy additional basic mods are an upgraded intercooler and a solid one piece front strut bar. A more expensive but great upgrade is a set of lightweight wheels.

Last edited:

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
For power mods a tune is king. It's by far the biggest change you can make to improve your car's performance. For handling mods, better tires are the place to start.

If I was out to improve my car's performance without breaking the bank, here's the mod progression I'd do:

1. A Ktuner and a Phearable 1.5R tune from Phearable.

2. Continental DWS06+ tires.

3. A PRL Cobra cold air intake.

4. A larger rear sway bar (from an OEM Si bar to the larger aftermarket bars like Whiteline).

Those four changes would transform your car. A couple other worthy additional basic mods are an upgraded intercooler and a solid one piece front strut bar. A more expensive but great upgrade is a set of lightweight wheels.

Did someone say.....TRANSFORM!?

AUTO BOTS ASSEMBLE! *TRANSFORMING SOUND QUEUES *

Honda Civic 10th gen Brand New to the Community giphy

JohnCivic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2018
Country flag
Hi, welcome to the community!
Let me ask you, because you didnt specify, what is your engine? 1.0L or 1.5L?

The 1.0L isnt exactly fit for power mods as far as I know its only a three cylinder, I have mine chipped to 110 kW tho, and it rides beautifully.

The 1.5L engine on the other hand has a lot of power mods as listed above.

Both versions can be modded exterior and interior wise, This is also my first car and I am having a blast modding it and researching all the future mods I wanna make.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
John, he's in the US. He has a 1.5 turbo.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is your first car ever? How long have you been driving?

If you're new to driving, learning to drive your car stock for a bit would be a good idea. ( I'm looking for performance driving classes in my area even though I've been driving for decades)

Then... The progression @gtman suggested is the way I'd suggest as well

OP
OP

xpNero

First Name
Nero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB 2020
Country flag
Wow wow wow thank you all for the awesome advice and recommendations!
I’ve read that tires should be one of the first things I buy so maybe that will be first on the list.
Are all the other mods user friendly or should I go to a shop to install them?

For clarification, this is my 3rd car. First two were hand me downs from my family. (Honda Insight 2012 and then a 2012 Toyota Corolla Sport)
This is my first official car buying on my own and I would love to start the journey on modifying it.
I am based in the US so my car is a 1.5 turbo. However that’s the most I know about my car. Are there any sub forums you guys can link me to that will give me more insight on my car without sounding like a manufacturer manual?
Thank you guys!

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are some good threads in the engine/tuning section for getting started with ktuner

As far as the other items go, there are so many threads, I'm not sure if there are any, "so you want to mod your tenth Gen" primers

MAPerformance has a good YouTube video covering power building and what they did to get to 500hp stock block

There are good personal build threads with checking out as well. @Unity Performance had a great one of their old blue si that really inspired me

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as the other items go, there are so many threads, I'm not sure if there are any, "so you want to mod your tenth Gen" primers
This is a good point. I wonder if we should start one. 🤔

We could speak about common 'starting' mods, maybe broken down by section (powertrain, suspension, aesthetics, etc.), and also common issues/warnings (be careful with the clutch, etc.).

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The first thing I always ask people looking for mod advice is what are your intentions with the vehicle or what are you looking to get out of it? Is it just a daily driver or are you looking to use it for competitive driving? Do you just want to go faster in straight lines or do you also want it to corner better? Are you willing to give up some comfort in exchange for increased performance?

The 10th gen Civic is a great platform to learn with and I hope you enjoy your journey with the car!

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
One thing to consider is that the 10th Gen platform is now over 6 years old and that a lot of YouTube videos and (early) forum advice is based on products and information available at the time. You'll want to watch and read as much as you can, but try to find more recent information to balance it out...

The other thing to mention ... parts are going to start drying up. Both the OEM Honda stuff and the aftermarket. Small producers especially are switching over to the 11th gen ... I mean if you think about it, the majority of people who were going to tune a 10th gen have already done so. So it makes sense for companies to start switching over. So make a list of the "Top ten things I want" then mark down which ones are more likely to drop off and get those first. Don't be thinking you can wait until next Black Friday to pick up everything. Some Mugen parts are discontinued already. Something like car speakers (or wheels) for example is not Civic specific and you can get those all day...

Good luck!
Sponsored