Brand New Honda Civic 2.0L burning 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles ????

dario$bears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Hello,

I have a 2020 Honda Civic Sport 6speed manual that I bought brand new from Honda back in December of 2020. Last week when driving, I got the car in motion from a stoplight then suddenly my car turned off on me and I got a message on my dashboard relating to oil. I wasn't sure if it was the oil change message since I have yet to take the vehicle in for an oil change(the vehicle only has 3,245 miles). I also noticed a loss of power when I was giving the car gas. I pulled over, checked my dipstick, and noticed that the oil was low and well below the first dot on the marker. My dashboard gave me no codes for maintenance or oil change after I turned the car back on, the oil life is at 50%. I took the car into a dealership close to my house and one of their service associates ended up telling me that nothing was wrong with the car and that these vehicles burn 1 quart of oil for every 1000 miles according to Honda. I'm pretty young and not the most advanced car expert, but I knew that didn't sound right especially for a brand new honda with the 2.0L NA engine. They also argued that the vehicle was a "sports car" and that it's normal for this car to burn oil but I argued back that the car has the same engine as the base model though. He ultimately ended up admitting that he only put more oil in the vehicle which I don't really think that addresses the issue. Is it normal for a new honda civic to burn oil? I'm really disappointed that I went out of my way to buying a new natural aspirated civic in a manual because of its proven reliability and to have a brand new car burning oil is the last thing that I expected. I will look to giving my car back and I will be taking the vehicle into my dealership so that they may look at it but they've also stated the same statement of the car burning 1,000 miles per quart of oil so I really doubt they will find anything wrong. I'm checking and taking photos of my dipstick on every trip, I would appreciate any help with moving forward with this process as well as ways that I can see if my car is burning oil. God bless.
Sponsored

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
My 2016 LX Coupe bought new has the 2.0L motor. I would put 16,000km (10,000 miles) to 20,000km (a bit past the recommended 16,000km interval, but it's a Honda) between oil changes, never had any such issues as you, never added any oil, so your issue is 100% not normal...

Lose of power from lacking oil is bearing being killed, doubt that is the case. The ECU will warning you due to low pressure before you damage anything.

If you are able, pull the oil filter and cut it open (dont use a saw, you don't want to add metal shaving when your cutting it open), check for any debris. (make sure you have a new one to replace it with). Lots of videos on youtube

Good luck, take it to another dealership, the 2.0L NA are rock solid motors that should not be happening.

Contact Honda USA as well, they may recommend a specific dealer in your area.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You need to go to another dealer immediately and get it looked at. Those guys are incompetent at best and malicious at worst. It's not a sports car, and it shouldn't be burning fluids like an oil stove.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've never heard of 1 quart every 1000 miles being normal for oil burning/consumption on an average sports car, let alone a base civic. You need to find another dealer because something is definitely up if you're burning oil on such a new car, especially the bulletproof 2.0 NA motor, and as mentioned, your dealer's advisors must be seriously incompetent for them to come up with that conclusion.

Find another one in your area to go to and I would let them know also what happened at the previous dealership. Make sure you document everything.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Doesn't even have to be a honda dealer, literally any mechanic would be better than that dealership.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Not normal to burn 1 qt every thousand miles on a new Honda.
Dealer is lying to you.
Monitor your oil level yourself (cold engine), then if the problem continues, go to a different dealer, then escalate it to Honda if you get no satisfaction.

You have a manual. This makes it easier to abuse the engine.
I hope that you have not been reving it to the redline frequently with a cold engine.
If you have lent out the car and someone else abused it, you could be out of luck.
I think that the dealer can check how you have been operating the car.

If you have not been abusing the car, and the oil consumption continues, I would try to get Honda to give you a new engine.

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our 12yr old Honda Odyssey w/ 250k miles is burning oil nowadays. About 1qt every 2000 miles, so you've got me beat!

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I've never heard of 1 quart every 1000 miles being normal for oil burning/consumption on an average sports car, let alone a base civic. You need to find another dealer because something is definitely up if you're burning oil on such a new car, especially the bulletproof 2.0 NA motor, and as mentioned, your dealer's advisors must be seriously incompetent for them to come up with that conclusion.

Find another one in your area to go to and I would let them know also what happened at the previous dealership. Make sure you document everything.
My gti manual.
Honda Civic 10th gen Brand New Honda Civic 2.0L burning 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles ???? FA4DE119-5EE9-4606-8F81-16959A2A78B7

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My gti manual.
FA4DE119-5EE9-4606-8F81-16959A2A78B7.jpeg
yeah but that's a shit volksvagina tho...it's probably burning even more than that. :lol::rofl:

Thread starter:
Im on my second K20C2 engine and it never burned any oil.
if you burn a quart every 1000 miles then you'll have blue smoke coming out the back...is your car smokey?!

Back in around 2000 i had a 1992 Civic CX that was burning about that much oil, and it was a blue plume following me...

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
What they said was hilarious. No it isn't a sports car. Manufacturers also say oil consumption figures like that all the time, some cases to cover their asses and in others to cover up engine defects. On average though, modern cars shouldn't consume anywhere near that amount. I'd consider it normal if it consumed half a quart over an oil change interval, maybe 5000-7000 miles. I've had cars that consumed nothing to half a quart over 5000-7000 miles.

There's a lot of variables too including:
1. You don't really know where the oil was at before this happened and therefore have no real rate of loss.
2. You don't know if the oil was just not filled to the proper level or leaked out either right?
3. I've noticed some oil brands just "disappear" faster than others. Changing brands appears to cause this too. Once you choose a brand and stick with it, it becomes consistent and doesn't disappear as much, not sure why this is lol.

Now that you made sure you have it up to full, you can actually determine if you're having loss and what the rate of loss is.

Would also be nice to know exactly what that message you saw was. I doubt the shutting off had anything to do with oil, you probably just stalled it out with your shifting. I'm not aware of any Honda (or any car for that matter but maybe there are) shutting off the engine due to detecting loss in oil pressure. The manual makes no mention of this either, it simply tells you to pull over ASAP and turn the engine off, if it did something as major as shutting the engine off prematurely they'd mention it since that's a BIG deal.

There's a good reason they don't do this. If the oil pressure was lost, the engine is going to eventually spin itself to bits and shut off as a result, if it does the shutting off is blamed on you. If on the other hand the engine management shut off the engine prematurely, they risk liability if you go out of control or get bumped from behind and die in a ravine because you lost power. Someone would sue Honda saying they had no right to cut their engine off. Why would they risk that? To protect your engine? LOL hell no, they're going to let you run the engine to death with only a red low/no oil pressure light. If your engine did shut off due to low oil pressure it would have damage so severe it likely wouldn't turn back on.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
1) Had you checked the oil level ever before this happened?
2) Why didn't you take it to the selling dealership?
3) It's rare, but not unheard of, to burn a quart before the first oil change - IF it was properly filled when sold. (The quart over <1,000 miles is the "replace engine" Honda warranty test.)
4) Check to see if the PVC valve is stuck open, this can suck the oil, as vapor, out over a few thousand miles.
5) Find a better Honda dealer, one who doesn't lie.
6) Ignition ON with a stalled engine generates lots of warning lights including "Low Oil Pressure".

Last edited:

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Even a rotary engine isn’t going to burn a quart every 1000 miles. There’s definitely a serious issue with the engine.