Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This past week I’ve been hearing my brakes sounding like they’re squeaking when I’m pretty much completely stopped. Like I’ll be parked in my garage and push the brake pedal down and hear a squeak that seems to relate with the force that I apply to pedal.

It sounds like it’s coming from just the rear brakes, and when I set the parking brake, I think I can hear the same noise, but it’s more obscured by the sound of the parking brake electronics.

My brakes seem to function normally while driving and I don’t hear sounds when using the brakes then, only when I’m about to come to a dead stop, or am already stopped, do I hear it.

Wondering if this means anything in the brake system needs maintenance or if something else is acting up? I am still on my stock brakes and pads that came on the car new, and the car is 2 years old with around 35k miles. I haven’t done a brake fluid flush yet, but I understand that every 2-3 years is typical for our cars.
Sponsored

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Given the mileage and original pads, Carefully check your pads for wear - You can see them through the spokes; Usually the rears are first to go due to VSA intervention / thinner material to start with; Once they're gone the wear squealers should do exactly what you're describing.

If you have good amounts of pad material left all round, then it's a stone or just the pads making noise as they sometimes do - There's a whole Porsche video on why that happens :p

OP
OP
casper

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Given the mileage and original pads, Carefully check your pads for wear - You can see them through the spokes; Usually the rears are first to go due to VSA intervention / thinner material to start with; Once they're gone the wear squealers should do exactly what you're describing.

If you have good amounts of pad material left all round, then it's a stone or just the pads making noise as they sometimes do - There's a whole Porsche video on why that happens :p
Good to know that it could just be typical wear or just normal sounds. Thanks. I tried to replicate the sound today and it was harder to recreate. Also realized that the car needs to roll slightly to make the sound, so it’s more of an “almost” stationary situation that led to the sound.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It can be from a small amount of rust that is created when the rotors get wet. It can also be that the back of the brake pads are not lubricated. Both are harmless. But just make sure it isn't because there isn't much brake material left. :)
Sponsored