Brakes Squeaking in cold weather

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got a 2016 Coupe EXT for reference.

I've noticed since it's recently dropped down into the low 20s and teens at night, and the more recent addition of light snow, my brakes (not sure which one(s)) are squeaking at low speed with light-moderate pressure on the pedal. The squeaking stops once the car/brakes get warmed up. First noticed it a few nights ago backing out of a driveway slowly. This morning it was doing it during my morning commute while stuck in stop and go traffic. Once the car was warmed up a bit and down the road a ways the squeaking stopped. Didn't notice this issue last winter when i had just gotten the car.

Anyone else have this issue? Is it just the cold brakes and snow? Bad brakes after only a year of driving the car!?
Taking it into honda later next week for oil change, plan on asking them about it.
Sponsored

PGean

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic ST, 2015 X5, 2009 MDX
Country flag
I've had this issue with German vehicles but not currently on the Civic. Temps here were in the teens last night

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had this issue with German vehicles but not currently on the Civic. Temps here were in the teens last night
Ive owned 6 cars in my lifetime. 5 of which were brand new off the shelf hondas and this is the first time i've ever had brakes squeak in cold weather. I've had the car just over a year and only have around 9k miles on it, so the brakes should be in good shape still.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ice or rust? Our '12 Si sometimes has a "rubbing" (more than squeaking) sound if it's been put away wet and sitting for a couple of days.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ice or rust? Our '12 Si sometimes has a "rubbing" (more than squeaking) sound if it's been put away wet and sitting for a couple of days.
I wondered that too, there was some big chunks of snow/ice under the car after driving on the snow and slush covered roads, wonder if maybe could've just been some icy build up that was rubbing that melted off after a mile or two.

Tutran99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 honda civic ex 2017 civic ex-l
Country flag
Mine started doing that also. And I got a bunch of snow here.

OP
OP
RobbJK88

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine started doing that also. And I got a bunch of snow here.
It must have something to do with the snow and ice then. We didn't get anything last night (just cold) and they didn't squeak at all this morning.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Mine does that a lot when pulling out of the parking lot in winter. The brakes quiet down after a few stops, maybe after wiping off some of the moisture or warming up a little.

Ixnmundo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I get this problem, 3 week old Civic with less than 400 miles on the car. I live in Iceland and the temp fluctuates between -5 and +5 Celsius in January. The likely cause of the issue is moisture getting in behind the pads and freezing or road salt getting in behind the pads. Pretty embarrassing when my brand new car's brakes squeal like hell but I don't expect there's much to do except better coat the back of the pads with copper grease
Sponsored